21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: cjvinthechair on August 09, 2013, 09:42:13 AM
Speaking as an irregular 'lurker', I just love it when I find posted a piece of 21st century music I can appreciate - means a wait sometimes, but well worth it.
Latest example; Steven Stucky...most grateful for 'discovering' him. Thank you to all who post !

Ah Clive, good to see you here! I agree, Stucky is one of America's most talented living composers. I love his post-impressionist style! Clive, have you heard Imants Kalnins' Symphony no. 6 (available on classical-music-online.net) or Joep Franssens' Grace for orchestra (available on YT)? I consider these to be the most beautiful compositions of this century :) I'm not usually one to be moved to tears by music, but I came pretty close to doing so in both of these compositions. :)

San Antone

Joshua Fineberg

Joshua Fineberg has worked with many leading composers in the United States and France, including: George Crumb, Jacob Druckman, Robert Hall Lewis, Philippe Manoury, and André Boucourechliev. In 1991, he moved to Paris and studied with Tristan Murail. The following year he was selected by the Ensemble InterContemporain reading panel for the course in composition and musical technologies. In the Fall of 1997, he returned to the US to pursue a doctorate in musical composition at Columbia University, which he completed in May 1999. After teaching at Columbia for a year, he went to Harvard University where he served as the John L. Loeb Associate Professor of the Humainities until 2007. In 2007 he joined the faculty of the Boston University School of Music and became the director of their electronic music studio.

Broken Symmetries for 5 players

kishnevi

Thank you for posting those;  most of them interesting listens, all of them first listens not only to the works involved but also the composers (most of them I've not heard of before, as best I can remember).  The two that I'm inclined to return for repeat listenings were the Stuckey and Powers (this should be no surprise if you take into account my listening habits and tastes).

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on August 09, 2013, 06:58:49 AM
There a few more clips in YouTube of Romitelli - I agree many younger Italians doing some fascinating music.

:)

This was quite enjoyable, thanks for posting more Romitelli - I've heard Professor Bad Trip before, thanks to Bruce. What the heck, I'll listen to it now again.
http://www.youtube.com/v/20gECBNfiIo
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

cjvinthechair

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2013, 10:10:52 AM
Ah Clive, good to see you here! I agree, Stucky is one of America's most talented living composers. I love his post-impressionist style! Clive, have you heard Imants Kalnins' Symphony no. 6 (available on classical-music-online.net) or Joep Franssens' Grace for orchestra (available on YT)? I consider these to be the most beautiful compositions of this century :) I'm not usually one to be moved to tears by music, but I came pretty close to doing so in both of these compositions. :)
Mr. Kyjo, delightful to hear from you as always - yes, Franssens is a surprise favourite; assumed when first hearing of him that he'd be as inaccessible (to me !) as, say, Louis Andriessen, but love listening to virtually anything of his( Grace is on as I write). Likewise Kalnins...would love to get his entire output; can that be done, do you suppose ?
When mentioning Stucky, should also have said that Daniel Powers' work was very approachable for a non-expert.
Thanks to all for this thread. It challenges the assumptions of the many of us who love music but know nothing of it that anything 'modern' will be altogether too much like hard work.
Clive.

kyjo

Quote from: cjvinthechair on August 10, 2013, 03:33:49 AM
Likewise Kalnins...would love to get his entire output; can that be done, do you suppose ?

Well, his Symphonies 4-6, the Oratorio Morning, as well as two shorter pieces, can be found on classical-music-online.net. I'm afraid that's all that's available; a shame since Kalnins is a really talented composer!

modUltralaser

Rozalie Hirs's Roseherte (2008) for symphony orchestra and electronic sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0F1_aMRpCQ

An almost purely structuralist composer she makes use of electronics to shape and bend her compositional forms. The electronics encompass as it were, serving not only as the exoskeleton to the piece, but also acting as a more constituent blending into the overall whole. I'd say there were shades of Messiaen in there, but her music also has links to the spectral school while also being informed by her academic endeavors. All of this makes her music something to behold. 

modUltralaser

Victor Smolski's The Heretic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqK4Hg-OWxI

Definitely something I think MN Dave, Greg, and Andy would enjoy. It's a conceptual piece composed by a heavy metal guitarist, so there are a lot of intricacies that are normally missed otherwise i regards to 'normal' heavy metal music. Honestly, I can't think of anything other than Andy's disc that come close to this in conception, maybe Branca.

North Star

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 07:02:51 PM
Victor Smolski's The Heretic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqK4Hg-OWxI

Definitely something I think MN Dave, Greg, and Andy would enjoy. It's a conceptual piece composed by a heavy metal guitarist, so there are a lot of intricacies that are normally missed otherwise i regards to 'normal' heavy metal music. Honestly, I can't think of anything other than Andy's disc that come close to this in conception, maybe Branca.
Cool!

My photographs on Flickr

Sean

A depressing thread. I know work by some of these names and I'll telling you by extension that virtually without question that all the music mentioned here is drivel or of very limited artistic value, and won't in the least merit a footnote in posterity's charting of the decline of art music.

How's that for an ingratiating post? Feel free to ignore it and swim on through these polluted waters into the night.

North Star

Quote from: Sean on August 12, 2013, 04:33:24 AM
A depressing thread. I know work by some of these names and I'll telling you by extension that virtually without question that all the music mentioned here is drivel or of very limited artistic value, and won't in the least merit a footnote in posterity's charting of the decline of art music.

How's that for an ingratiating post? Feel free to ignore it and swim on through these polluted waters into the night.
It's wonderful logic - similarly I can tell you that the late 18th & early 19th century produced almost nothing of great value, based on Hummel & Ditters von Dittersdorf's music.

My photographs on Flickr

modUltralaser

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2013, 04:38:16 AM
It's wonderful logic - similarly I can tell you that the late 18th & early 19th century produced almost nothing of great value, based on Hummel & Ditters von Dittersdorf's music.

Please don't encourage him.

San Antone

Kyle Bobby Dunn (born February 27, 1986 in Ontario) is a composer, arranger, and live performer of modern and neo-classical based drone music. He has performed in live and exclusive outdoor settings, including Banff National Park, since 2000 and has released music on various international recording labels.

His work has been described as "compositions that are patience incarnate" and "encourage an emotional response even as its seemingly infinite, creeping swirl and hum threatens to numb. A difficult feat."

The austere, tempered tonal shifts featured in many of his compositions subtly echo the work of minimalist forerunners like Morton Feldman and LaMonte Young. At the same time Dunn occasionally intersperses quaint, almost chamberal touches which evoke more traditionally classical sources.

https://www.youtube.com/v/0p2yZ1ZNWe0

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2013, 04:38:16 AM

Hey!  I like Hummel!

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 12, 2013, 04:45:29 AM
Please don't encourage him.

Let's just say that with Sean,  I've finally found a use for the 'ignore' function on this board.

Quote from: sanantonio on August 12, 2013, 04:57:38 AM
Kyle Bobby Dunn (born February 27, 1986 in Ontario) is a composer, arranger, and live performer of modern and neo-classical based drone music. He has performed in live and exclusive outdoor settings, including Banff National Park, since 2000 and has released music on various international recording labels.

I didn't know that the CIA had in house composers!

[Sorry, could not resist.  But I've never heard the term "drone music" before, and promise to listen later today.]

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on August 12, 2013, 04:48:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/i5WGcfTekEo

Well done!

Mr. Dunn's contribution, I am afraid,  simply seemed to pointlessly and endlessly drone on.  (Pun not really intended, but I can't think of a better word to use.)

Now listening to the Lang, which seems to be in the same category as the Abrahamsen. (I don't remember first names--is this the Lang who wrote Little Matchbox Girl?)

San Antone

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 12, 2013, 11:00:10 AM
Well done!

Mr. Dunn's contribution, I am afraid,  simply seemed to pointlessly and endlessly drone on.  (Pun not really intended, but I can't think of a better word to use.)

Now listening to the Lang, which seems to be in the same category as the Abrahamsen. (I don't remember first names--is this the Lang who wrote Little Matchbox Girl?)

I'm glad you are finding some things enjoyable.  I do not think this is that Lang, at least there is nothing with that title among his list of works found on his website.  Drone music is not for everyone, I happen to enjoy it and find it, when well done, very enjoyable in a quiet, meditative kind of way.

Karl Henning

Have you had to play a part that is a drone?  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on August 12, 2013, 11:14:26 AM
Have you had to play a part that is a drone?  ;)

As a bass player I have played "drone-like" parts; fulfilling the role of the ostinato element, along with the drums, can be very rewarding with the right group of musicians.  But this kind of music is best done using electronic means. IMO.