21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/4

Glad to hear ADNOS is being reissued, so more people can hear it. I really love Radigue's electronic music, not too sure about her more recent chamber music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on October 10, 2013, 02:52:57 AM
Inspired by the 20th century violin concerto thread [....]

Then it has served at least one good purpose, and I am content.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Here is a quote from James Conlon, which I read today, in an article about the operas of Benjamin Britten:
The centenary has given Mr. Conlon an opportunity to advance the case for Britten more intensely than usual. "I'm taking advantage of it to put him more in the forefront than might be possible at another time," he said. "Americans don't need somebody to play more Brahms or Beethoven. They need to know that there is very important music out there that they're not listening to—because our ears and spirits need constant renewal."

(My emphasis above)

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304520704579125240632913728.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: Cato on October 10, 2013, 04:02:00 AM
Here is a quote from James Conlon, which I read today, in an article about the operas of Benjamin Britten:
(My emphasis above)

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304520704579125240632913728.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6
Great quote!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

Another 21st C. violin concerto, this one by Huw Watkins, a non-threatening British composer.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/v/CnpdjRp5OT4

These Proms clips always begin with some talking, but the music starts after around four minutes in.

A very nice work.

Rinaldo

San Antone

Franck C. Yeznikian
(b. 1969) France

https://www.youtube.com/v/OvXHINAXWP0

... blessed with a tuneful voice (2010)

Inspired by the triptych of Cy Twombly "I am Thyrsis of Etna, blessed with a tuneful voice" (1977) this is a piece Free trio for clarinet (in A), piano, and electronic Vibraphon commissioned by the EDU (Dijon) / GRAME ( Lyon).

Agnes Ino (clarinet),
Erika Dyckmans (piano)
Guillaume Gibert (percussion)
Vincent R. Carinola and Franck C. Yeznikian: electronic and diffusion

San Antone

San Antone

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2013, 04:03:35 PM
A couple of guys I know have started a casual message board, primarily intended for composers and serious listeners, where every Friday they post a new piece of music and discuss it. Like a book club, but a listening club. The first one's a vocal piece from 2006. Try it out.  :)

Yes, thanks from me as well, Brian - will see if I can squeeze in time to investigate. (And that Beat Furrer piece is fascinating.)

And thanks to Cato for unearthing that great Conlon quote: "Americans don't need somebody to play more Brahms or Beethoven. They need to know that there is very important music out there that they're not listening to—because our ears and spirits need constant renewal."

And continuing thanks to sanantonio for the huge array of things to listen to.

--Bruce

Parsifal

I heard some 21st century classical music this evening, in live performance.

Foreign Bodies, by Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Interesting, and noisy.

some guy

I've heard that piece, too.

There are a few very brief bits that an extremely sensitive person might, at a stretch, refer to as noisy.

There are many very long bits that are either extremely delicate or extremely soft and placid.

As for interesting, well that's such a loaded term. Loaded with what? My mother, for instance, used it exclusively to refer to things she didn't like but didn't want to just say she didn't like them.

Coupled with "noisy," I suspect that "interesting" here also means "didn't like it."

Hard to say, though.

petrarch

I wonder what all the non-Klang non-Sonntag aus Licht Stockhausen is doing in a 21st C music thread...
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

some guy

By this logic, a just recently published on youtube piece from 1920 or 1840 or 1460 belongs on a 21st century thread.

(Nope.)

Parsifal

Quote from: some guy on October 12, 2013, 12:51:43 AM
I've heard that piece, too.

There are a few very brief bits that an extremely sensitive person might, at a stretch, refer to as noisy.

There are many very long bits that are either extremely delicate or extremely soft and placid.

As for interesting, well that's such a loaded term. Loaded with what? My mother, for instance, used it exclusively to refer to things she didn't like but didn't want to just say she didn't like them.

Coupled with "noisy," I suspect that "interesting" here also means "didn't like it."

Hard to say, though.

Fascinating that you were able to determine that I didn't like the piece.  I was under the impression that I did.  As far as the piece having 'very many long bits  that are either extremely delicate or extremely soft and placid' and 'a few very brief bits that an extremely sensitive person might, at a stretch, refer to as noisy,' I can't imagine it was the same piece.  Most of it was quite vigorous, and made dramatic use of a large percussion section, including timpani, bass drum, tuned and untuned gongs, side drum, xylophone, cymbals, etc.  My wife, who does not have a particular interest in modern classical music, was very impressed with the orchestra.  She commented "it was so messy, I was amazed the musicians could tell when it was their time to play."  Her favorite part of the program was the piece that immediately preceded the Salonen, Wagner's Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan.

Parsifal

Quote from: James on October 12, 2013, 02:29:58 PM
His Vln Cto is supposed to be really good, I haven't dug in yet. It won the heralded Grawemeyer award for outstanding musical achievment last year.

A recording of that piece lurks in my amazon shopping cart.

San Antone

Murail: Symphonic Concerto for Piano and Orchestra "Le Désenchantement du monde" (2012)

I can't find a YT clip or even a commercially released recording but you can listen to this work through the Instant Encore site ~ HERE.

Ensemble: New York Philharmonic
Conductor: David Robertson
Artist: Pierre-Laurent Aimard (Piano)

amw

Quote from: sanantonio on October 12, 2013, 07:08:19 PM
Murail: Symphonic Concerto for Piano and Orchestra "Le Désenchantement du monde" (2012)

I can't find a YT clip or even a commercially released recording but you can listen to this work through the Instant Encore site ~ HERE.

Ensemble: New York Philharmonic
Conductor: David Robertson
Artist: Pierre-Laurent Aimard (Piano)

I was listening to that the other day. I found it here.

Murail's recent music has not been easy to find for whatever reason. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.