21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

Quote from: some guy on December 13, 2013, 12:00:52 PM
James, you perhaps forget that it was you, James, who posted the list that started this little subthread.

Touché! ;D
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mr Bloom

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 05:22:49 AM
Indeed, she is.
Please list the concerts Emmanuelle Gibello has been part of in the last few years.

some guy

Quote from: James on December 14, 2013, 05:52:43 AM
Let's try this. I've taken the first 5 names from some guy's list. Let's see if he can help us further by listing a specific piece of music from each that makes them worthy of his boasting. Of course, this will be from his perspective but it will give us an idea of what the composer is about (i.e. the best light, essence) and offer a glimpse of where Mike is coming from more precisely.
I have a better idea. How about James takes any of the names from his (Kairos') list and do the same.

His list preceded mine, after all. :)

By the time he's done with that, I should be back in Barcelona, where my internet connection will be more powerful (and more reliable) than it is here in Andorra.

Then let's look and see if we can find any boasting on my part. The only claim I made for my list was that it was more representative than the Kairos' list. That is, it contains examples of more of the kinds of things that have been happening in the past 13 years or so. I'll go ahead and make another claim for it, though, more along the lines of the boasting that James seems to want--and that is that I have music from every single one of those people on my list. I have CDs or sound files, many of which I have gotten from the composers themselves, and I have listened to all of them, many times, with great pleasure. I have heard their music in concert in Los Angeles, in Portland, OR, in New York, in Paris, in Chalon-sur-Saone, in Bucarest, in Berlin, in Oslo, in Wroclaw, in Bourges. Among others.

I have eaten and drunk with many of them and consider not a few of them to be friends.

That, my dear James, is what boasting looks like. Not the very modest remark that you have called boasting. So now you know.

Then let's go head to head on how many of those Kairos discs each of us has actually owned and or listened to. I have most of those albums in my collection and have listened to each of them many times. With great pleasure.

Mr. Bloom, I have only attended one of Emmanuelle's concerts in Paris. It was at an Instants-Chavires event this past April. That was in Montreuil, which you may or may not want to consider to be "in" Paris.

I know that she has performed her music in Nantes and Chalon-sur-Saone, where I first met her. But you can find out her track record in Paris as well as I can by simply going to her site. Where I am sure that you will find that my "all the time" was we call in the business "hyperbole."

I'm sorry if you find that unworthy. Point is, she gets her music performed in Paris, where she lives, and outside Paris as well. She is very well thought of by myself (formerly from Portland, OR) and by Beatriz Ferreyra, an unknown who worked at the unknown GRM with the unknown Pierre Schaeffer and who also taught at the completely unknown Dartmouth and who lives somewhere in France, a country no one knows anything about.

And I think that Bernard Parmegiani, who was an international figure with over a dozen LPs and CDs to his credit that no one has ever listened to, rather liked her stuff, too. My French is not good enough for me to be entirely sure, and his English was only slightly better than my French. OK, quite a lot better, really. But quite a lot better than practically zero is not necessarily fluent. Just sayin'.

San Antone

Quote from: James on December 13, 2013, 10:13:53 AM
You must have a lot of time on your hands.

I don't; but it is not time consuming to Google a name, find a clip and listen.  I think one difference between you and I is that I am not trying to find "great" works.  I couldn't care less whether a work is considered "great" by you, or a critic, or general consensus.  In fact, I never even think to myself if a work is great or not.  I don't go beyond if it is interesting to me as I listen to it.   I am not in any hurry to get somewhere, so the time spent finding new music is simply an enjoyable enterprise in and of itself.

Jeffrey
Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 13, 2013, 03:55:48 PM
And I'd like to know where I'm supposed to go exploring new music. 

Result: if I depend on local resources,  I'll never hear any of those composers unless they become trendy for some reason, like John Rutter.

Internet is very limited. To put it bluntly,  I'm not upgrading my Internet connection solely for the goal of hearing contemporary music.

So where does one go to explore on a regular basis?  If I need to get out more,  tell me where to get out, don't just sneer at me.

I am not sneering at you and I apologize if my "Fixed" post came across like that.  And I don't understand what you mean by upgrading your connection - are you not able to view YouTube?   YouTube, SoundCloud and blogs are the places where I hear new music, because I too live in a city without much going on besides a few new music concerts at the area music schools (you might look into to that in South Florida, the University of Miami has a great music department).

But these days a high speed internet service is fairly affordable. Or you could visit an Internet cafe, and have a cup of coffee while you listen to some new music on those places I mentioned.

:)

some guy

Quote from: sanantonio on December 14, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
I don't; but it is not time consuming to Google a name, find a clip and listen.  I think one difference between you and I is that I am not trying to find "great" works.  I couldn't care less whether a work is considered "great" by you, or a critic, or general consensus.  In fact, I never even think to myself if a work is great or not.  I don't go beyond if it is interesting to me as I listen to it.   I am not in any hurry to get somewhere, so the time spent finding new music is simply an enjoyable enterprise in and of itself.
Many many thanks for saying this, sanantonio!!

Brahmsian

Quote from: James on December 15, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
So what you are saying is that you are never moved or turned on so greatly by what you are hearing to share it with others.

I have to disagree here.  Sanantonio frequently shares what he enjoys.  He is always posting a clip of what he's listened to, and thus sharing.

7/4

I have no problem with someone turning me on to new music.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on December 15, 2013, 05:44:57 AM
Oh so that is what all the YouTube clips 'mean', I didn't know that.

Now if only 'some guy' could passionately advocate the music that moves him greatly than we would be really getting somewhere.

Preferably from that long list of 'most representative' stuff of the last 13 years or so.

James, you know what you're problem is? You're constantly putting everything you listen to up on some kind of pedestal and damning anyone who doesn't share your views. Get over it man. It's a tired racket at this juncture.

Mr Bloom

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 01:50:19 PM
Then let's look and see if we can find any boasting on my part. The only claim I made for my list was that it was more representative than the Kairos' list. That is, it contains examples of more of the kinds of things that have been happening in the past 13 years or so. I'll go ahead and make another claim for it, though, more along the lines of the boasting that James seems to want--and that is that I have music from every single one of those people on my list. I have CDs or sound files, many of which I have gotten from the composers themselves, and I have listened to all of them, many times, with great pleasure. I have heard their music in concert in Los Angeles, in Portland, OR, in New York, in Paris, in Chalon-sur-Saone, in Bucarest, in Berlin, in Oslo, in Wroclaw, in Bourges. Among others.

Not everyone have the money or the opportunity to travel to all these cities. Not everyone personaly know composers or can get recordings from them (even if these days pretty much anybody can write a mail and manage to get in contact with a lot of people).
I find highly contemptful to consider ignorant or lazy people who are simply not wealthy enough to travel to concerts, don't work in these circles, or simply don't have the time to spend hours on the net looking for obscure music.
These people should be the public. Not some "in" people, with little capacities to share music with others.
I know composers too. I've been to other countries to hear concerts. But I never forgot I wasn't the standard listener and that I was lucky. And I would never consider ignorant someone who didn't have the same possibilities and didn't get the chance to hear these concerts, because it's fucking complicated to get a good image of what is actually going on, even when you're inside. I've been amazed at how far from realities the circles of contemporary music are, how bloated with hypocrisy, politics and illusions they are. Obviously, if they got back down to earth, it would shatter their little world, and not many are ready to do that.

If these circles are not capable to recognize that the state of things is not normal, then we should simply let this music and these circles die.

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 01:50:19 PMMr. Bloom, I have only attended one of Emmanuelle's concerts in Paris. It was at an Instants-Chavires event this past April. That was in Montreuil, which you may or may not want to consider to be "in" Paris.
This is wild recognition, for sure. Or a clear example of how blind people working in the contemporary music circles are.

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 01:50:19 PMI know that she has performed her music in Nantes and Chalon-sur-Saone, where I first met her. But you can find out her track record in Paris as well as I can by simply going to her site. Where I am sure that you will find that my "all the time" was we call in the business "hyperbole."
There is no track record of concerts on her site.

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 01:50:19 PMI'm sorry if you find that unworthy. Point is, she gets her music performed in Paris, where she lives, and outside Paris as well. She is very well thought of by myself (formerly from Portland, OR) and by Beatriz Ferreyra, an unknown who worked at the unknown GRM with the unknown Pierre Schaeffer and who also taught at the completely unknown Dartmouth and who lives somewhere in France, a country no one knows anything about.
Again, where is the critical distance ? Why should we care about the GRM ? Do you know what it is these days ?
A lot of people in these circles have ego problems anyway. And that dicks contest you have on going in these page is another proof of that.

Quote from: some guy on December 14, 2013, 01:50:19 PMAnd I think that Bernard Parmegiani, who was an international figure with over a dozen LPs and CDs to his credit that no one has ever listened to, rather liked her stuff, too.
So you're only relying on authoritative arguments now ? This is pretty weak.
This is pretty much a sum up of contemporary music anyway : dicks contests, authoritative arguments, intellectual contempt, politics, money, computers, ego problems, little music.

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on December 14, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
in full agreement there
Jeffrey
I am not sneering at you and I apologize if my "Fixed" post came across like that.  And I don't understand what you mean by upgrading your connection - are you not able to view YouTube?   YouTube, SoundCloud and blogs are the places where I hear new music, because I too live in a city without much going on besides a few new music concerts at the area music schools (you might look into to that in South Florida, the University of Miami has a great music department).

But these days a high speed internet service is fairly affordable. Or you could visit an Internet cafe, and have a cup of coffee while you listen to some new music on those places I mentioned.

:)

Actually, on my present set up,  I can't view Youtube or any large sound file.  Well, I suppose I could, but it would probably requires a couple of days to download each clip or file :) 
When I do listen to (for example) clips posted in this thread,  I do in fact do it at the public library, spending a couple of hours on my day off--if I have the time available, which isn't always a given.  And right now,  I'm not interested in getting broadband.  Dialup is cheaper and serves all my other needs, so if I did switch it would literally be solely for the sake of listening to new music....

San Antone

https://www.youtube.com/v/k8VuZ_dz5W4

Maryanne Amacher (1938-2009): Living sound, for "Sound-joined Rooms" series (1980).

jochanaan

Quote from: sanantonio on December 13, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
No, James what it mean is that I, and possibly others, enjoy the process of discovery...
I'm definitely one of those "others." ;D The thrill of finding something really new is one of the reasons I like contemporary classical music so much.  Yes, it's comforting to return to The Old Masters (and Mistresses?) once in a while, but I prefer the sensation of discovery.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

San Antone

Quote from: James on December 17, 2013, 02:46:39 AM
I'd still like to discover the best of what some guy lists, now if he can only eagerly make some specific recommendations. I personally don't have the time to search through that huge list of unknowns in search of musical gems. Last time I did that with one of his lists .. I wasted about 4 hours and came up empty handed. True story. And another reason why I'm asking this time.

Have you considered the possibility that when you came away empty-handed, someone else would find dozens of musical gems?   At least to them.  What is the point?

San Antone

Ana-maria Avram

Her music is spectral, acousmatic, heterophonic and transformational. She has composed around 90 works as of 2009: music for soloists, chamber music, music for orchestra, electronic music and computer assisted music.

Her soundcloud.

An article with a clip.

Ana-Maria AVRAM: "Nouvelle Axe" for string quartet

http://www.youtube.com/v/nzlwuBDh-qk

some guy

James: Hey, let's play a nice game of "Heads, I Win; Tails, You Lose."

Me: No.

some guy

amw

Quote from: Mr Bloom on December 15, 2013, 01:24:15 PM
This is pretty much a sum up of contemporary music anyway : dicks contests, authoritative arguments, intellectual contempt, politics, money, computers, ego problems, little music.

More or less.

I like this thread a lot better when it's just music.

Here's Richard Barrett's codex XII (2013):

[audio]https://ec-media.soundcloud.com/3uvDEjg33tyM.128.mp3?ff61182e3c2ecefa438cd02102d0e385713f0c1faf3b033959566bfd0c00e211fe560f0623f2d4a995e04d3751ed5186fe5262dc08eb1dd05d6bf37d4749d00198748b0716&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4IAZE5EOI7PA7VQ&Expires=1387359516&Signature=U3lQ0wAML2LXGrWYAStLb9FSvsw%3D[/audio]

San Antone

Quote from: amw on December 18, 2013, 12:21:43 AM
More or less.

I like this thread a lot better when it's just music.

Here's Richard Barrett's codex XII (2013):

[audio]https://ec-media.soundcloud.com/3uvDEjg33tyM.128.mp3?ff61182e3c2ecefa438cd02102d0e385713f0c1faf3b033959566bfd0c00e211fe560f0623f2d4a995e04d3751ed5186fe5262dc08eb1dd05d6bf37d4749d00198748b0716&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4IAZE5EOI7PA7VQ&Expires=1387359516&Signature=U3lQ0wAML2LXGrWYAStLb9FSvsw%3D[/audio]

Your clip did not appear on my computer.  When I tried to copy and paste the link into my browser I got a 403 forbidden error.  However, here it is   performed by Ensemble Studio6.  Wonderful piece.

https://www.youtube.com/v/04q6N24CAWk

I too prefer music posts, but occasionally a good conversation will erupt. 

EDIT: Interesting, I can now see the clip player, but it does not play anything.  There must be something amiss  with a plugin on my machine, maybe I am missing an update to java or something.

some guy

Actually, to quote "..." and then say "all talk" is a pretty good joke.

Not altogether sure if it was intended or not, of course, but still. Pretty good joke.

I didn't see any link for Richard Barrett's Codex VII, either. No player. Nothin'. Just a blank space.

Music and conversation are both nice. Here's a nice clip of some Martin Bedard. Woefully short, but certainly long enough for James or Mr. Bloom to say something vicious or snotty about that no one will pay any attention to. ;D (Whatever happened to "conversation"?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUM85q50mXU

some guy

Well, there you have it.

Heads, James wins. Tails, everyone else loses.

What a fun game this is!!

Maybe I'll post some more music for James to diss. It's fun!! Yay!!!

Everyone can play, and lose!! It's more sure than the lottery.