21st century classical music

Started by James, May 25, 2012, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

Franck Bedrossian - The edges are no longer parallel (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/v/6WJjeZUvulc

QuoteThis piece and its disposal's main feature is that the piano is prepared in two ways: first with objects situated in the sounding box of the piano, but also through the electronic disposal (doubled electronic and acoustic sounds, speed effects, time lag between acoustic and electronic sounds, real time sound alteration, etc). The aim is finally to create a meta-piano, or piano extended.

https://soundcloud.com/franck-bedrossian

A piece for prepared piano & electronics.

torut

Michael Harrison - Revelation for Piano (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/v/2ieHZ5qmJZI

QuoteRevelation: Music In Pure Intonation utilizes innovative tuning relationships to further develop "just" intonation - an ancient tuning system where the distances between notes are based upon whole number ratios.

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 18, 2014, 06:43:15 PM
Michael Harrison - Revelation for Piano (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/v/2ieHZ5qmJZI

I've heard that performed a few times. He is/was a Pandit Pran Nath student like La Monte Young and Terry Riley.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 19, 2014, 05:16:18 AM
I've heard that performed a few times. He is/was a Pandit Pran Nath student like La Monte Young and Terry Riley.
I see. His From Ancient Worlds sounded like another The Harp of New Albion. I found his name in a book about ambient music, listed together with Young, Riley and others.

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 19, 2014, 08:47:55 AM
I see. His From Ancient Worlds sounded like another The Harp of New Albion. I found his name in a book about ambient music, listed together with Young, Riley and others.

Michael was the primary tuner for the Well Tuned Piano in the '80s.

He (told me) was experimenting with tuning a piano to sing raga and PPN told him about another student - La Monte and his Well Tuned Piano.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 19, 2014, 04:45:47 PM
Michael was the primary tuner for the Well Tuned Piano in the '80s.

He (told me) was experimenting with tuning a piano to sing raga and PPN told him about another student - La Monte and his Well Tuned Piano.
That's interesting. I just read Harrison's article about pure intonation that describes how he closely worked with La Monte Young and developed From Ancient Worlds and Revelation. The site seems under construction (the pages about his tunings and the harmonic piano are not available yet) but it is a good read.

I also enjoyed his string quartet. This is a nice program.

On-Demand Audio: JACK Quartet's 'Modern Medieval'
Recorded Live at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Medieval Sculpture Hall on December 16, 2012
http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/258515-on-demand-audio-jack-quartets-modern-medieval/

Rorate Caeli (Gregorian chant used during Advent, arr. by Kevin McFarland)
Michael Harrison: Chant (world premiere) (2011)
Guillaume Dufay: Moribus et genere (arr. by John Pickford Richards)
Sasha Zamler-Carhart: The St. Francis String Quartets (world premiere) (2012)
Rodericus: Angelorum Psalat (arr. by Christopher Otto)
Caleb Burhans: Contritus (2009)

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 19, 2014, 09:26:07 PM
That's interesting. I just read Harrison's article about pure intonation that describes how he closely worked with La Monte Young and developed From Ancient Worlds and Revelation. The site seems under construction (the pages about his tunings and the harmonic piano are not available yet) but it is a good read.

I also enjoyed his string quartet. This is a nice program.

On-Demand Audio: JACK Quartet's 'Modern Medieval'
Recorded Live at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Medieval Sculpture Hall on December 16, 2012
http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/258515-on-demand-audio-jack-quartets-modern-medieval/

Rorate Caeli (Gregorian chant used during Advent, arr. by Kevin McFarland)
Michael Harrison: Chant (world premiere) (2011)
Guillaume Dufay: Moribus et genere (arr. by John Pickford Richards)
Sasha Zamler-Carhart: The St. Francis String Quartets (world premiere) (2012)
Rodericus: Angelorum Psalat (arr. by Christopher Otto)
Caleb Burhans: Contritus (2009)

I'll have to check that out, I missed that one.

torut

7/4

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 25, 2014, 04:31:43 AM
that's insane man!
Do you know him? ;D
He played violin on Schweinitz's Plainsound Glissando Modulation (not on CD). That is very good.

torut

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 26, 2014, 07:11:08 AM
Do you know him? ;D
He played violin on Schweinitz's Plainsound Glissando Modulation (not on CD). That is very good.

No. Andrew Nathaniel McIntosh is new to me, although I'd heard about this piece a few years ago and didn't check it out. It reminds me of Ben Johnston's microtonal piano pieces.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 27, 2014, 04:27:17 AM
No. Andrew Nathaniel McIntosh is new to me, although I'd heard about this piece a few years ago and didn't check it out. It reminds me of Ben Johnston's microtonal piano pieces.
I found his music at this web site called plainsound. (I have no idea what plainsound is. A publisher?) The site just provides links to the pages of composers who seem to compose some or most of the works in just intonation. Ben Johnston's page is also included.

http://www.plainsound.org/

Composers:
Marc Sabat
Wolfgang von Schweinitz
James Tenney
Tashi Wada
Douglas Wadle
Chiyoko Szlavnics
Thomas Meadowcroft
Ben Johnston
Peter Sabat
Andrew Nathaniel McIntosh

torut

Yoshi Wada - Lament for John Cage

https://www.youtube.com/v/Pf4pk0A9qnY

Performed by Susan Stenger and Robert Poss (electric guitar), Tashi Wada (reed organ), Joe Whelan (timpani), and the City of Newcastle Pipeband with Yoshi Wada (bagpipes), at AV Festival 12: As Slow As Possible (UK), 2012.

Yoshi Wada joined Fluxus in 1968, and studied with Pandit Pran Nath.

EigenUser

Quote from: Philo on July 20, 2014, 05:02:38 PM
Still, easily, the best music thread on this site. Thanks for all y'all's contributions.
You should post in the listening thread! There isn't enough modern/contemporary stuff there.

I guess the problem with posting there is that things get "lost" quickly as more and more people post.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

amw

It seems like a lot of GMG has become(/always was?) a glorified twitter feed. "Now listening to @DmitriShostakovichOfficial #Symphony9 by @lenniebernstein. #belowthegreenlemon #poundsthetable"

Like/retweet if you agree and don't forget to follow me at @amw455!

Henk

Quote from: Philo on July 21, 2014, 02:33:31 PM
That's the exact reason I don't really post my contemporary stuff in there. This thread is far more focused and, I think, grants the readers of the thread a lot more leeway and allowance to comment as they take them in. Although, this thread doesn't inspire much commentary either. A lot of these threads just turn into listening dumps, and I'll admit that I do my fair share of that as well, am striving not to though.

It's a social activity.

Henk

Quote from: amw on July 21, 2014, 02:41:40 PM
It seems like a lot of GMG has become(/always was?) a glorified twitter feed. "Now listening to @DmitriShostakovichOfficial #Symphony9 by @lenniebernstein. #belowthegreenlemon #poundsthetable"

Like/retweet if you agree and don't forget to follow me at @amw455!

:)

I disagree. GMG has it's own character, culture, more advanced.

amw

Quote from: Philo on July 21, 2014, 02:43:46 PM
Well hopefully you and I will change our behavior to resist this trend. I know I'm going to start adding more meat to my posts. Trying to at least.
Yes! Let's try to get #MoreMeat trending this week!

I do think there's a place for the short status updates, but they shouldn't be everywhere. At least in Composer Discussion/Great Recordings posts should be more substantial than "+1" (to mix metaphors a little) unless that's specifically what someone is looking for (e.g. the "What's the best recording of _____?" posts I've occasionally vomited up onto those boards)