Author Topic: Blind comparison : Monteverdi, Lamento della ninfa  (Read 8681 times)

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
Re: Blind comparison : Monteverdi, Lamento della ninfa
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 01:07:09 AM »
OK I see that you're the only voter left, madaboutmahler, so, I hope you won't mind, but I prefer to publish the results now...

Ok. :) I just couldn't find any time at all in the last week.
I look forward to your next comparison! The Mahler 6 comparison will be ending soon (will you be able to post your votesoon, Julien?) and I'll be starting one for Mahler 1 and maybe some Strauss tone poems at some point soon. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Discobole

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »
I rather enjoyed this one. I hope those on the other sites were just as positive.

But I am not surprised that #4 was not so popular. I knew when I picked it that some would probably put it at the end. The thing is, I felt this was the only one where the freer sense of rhythm was conistently evident (where the soprano sings). And it was one of the few that I did not get tired of. As I wrote, I don't know what my reaction might be over time, but it seems an ideal supplement to me. Was I the only one to put it in the top 5?

You were, actually...

Ok. :) I just couldn't find any time at all in the last week.
I look forward to your next comparison! The Mahler 6 comparison will be ending soon (will you be able to post your votesoon, Julien?) and I'll be starting one for Mahler 1 and maybe some Strauss tone poems at some point soon. :)

Thanks. But for several (personal) reasons, I will not organize anymore blind comparisons.
And, about Mahler 6, I'm sorry, I am REALLY swamped and can't find the time necessary. I'll still try this week but I can't promise anything and there are really more chances that I don't participate  :'(

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:49:48 AM »
Thanks. But for several (personal) reasons, I will not organize anymore blind comparisons.

Sorry to hear that, but I imagine that they are hugely time consuming. In any case, very much appreciate the effort of including us. Thanks!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »
Sorry also to hear that, Discobole, I have really enjoyed your comparisons! Don't worry about it, I understand that you are busy and it sounds as if you won't be able to find the time for the M6 comparison. I will post the results tommorow probably.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:03 AM »
5th. 11 - Le Poème Harmonique, Vincent Dumestre (Alpha, 2009)
Ninfa : Claire Lefilliâtre

Average ranking : 7,22

4th. 13 - The Consort of Musicke, Anthony Rooley (Virgin, 1990)
Ninfa : Emma Kirkby

Average ranking : 5,39

I've just listened through these again. I think the two I have highlighted would be the ones to get for me. I still love #4, but as discussed earlier, that one is best as a supplement I think as it is so different. In the end, #11 and #13 (those highlighted) have the voices that make my hair stand on end. If forced to choose just one, I think I'd go for #11 (Alpha). She brings out the harmonies and dissonaces exquisitely.

I disliked the one that came in first more than during my initial listen. Although the operatic approach adds something, I feel now that too much is lost (at least for me). I wouldn't want this one to be the only (or first) one I owned.

I think this has been the most interesting of all the blind listenings (for me, so far), precisely because it introduced music I knew very little about.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!