Blind comparison : Monteverdi, Lamento della ninfa

Started by Discobole, June 07, 2012, 01:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Discobole on June 23, 2012, 04:30:53 PM
OK I see that you're the only voter left, madaboutmahler, so, I hope you won't mind, but I prefer to publish the results now...

Ok. :) I just couldn't find any time at all in the last week.
I look forward to your next comparison! The Mahler 6 comparison will be ending soon (will you be able to post your votesoon, Julien?) and I'll be starting one for Mahler 1 and maybe some Strauss tone poems at some point soon. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Discobole

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 23, 2012, 11:49:44 PM
I rather enjoyed this one. I hope those on the other sites were just as positive.

But I am not surprised that #4 was not so popular. I knew when I picked it that some would probably put it at the end. The thing is, I felt this was the only one where the freer sense of rhythm was conistently evident (where the soprano sings). And it was one of the few that I did not get tired of. As I wrote, I don't know what my reaction might be over time, but it seems an ideal supplement to me. Was I the only one to put it in the top 5?

You were, actually...

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 24, 2012, 02:07:09 AM
Ok. :) I just couldn't find any time at all in the last week.
I look forward to your next comparison! The Mahler 6 comparison will be ending soon (will you be able to post your votesoon, Julien?) and I'll be starting one for Mahler 1 and maybe some Strauss tone poems at some point soon. :)

Thanks. But for several (personal) reasons, I will not organize anymore blind comparisons.
And, about Mahler 6, I'm sorry, I am REALLY swamped and can't find the time necessary. I'll still try this week but I can't promise anything and there are really more chances that I don't participate  :'(

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Discobole on June 24, 2012, 05:40:17 AM
Thanks. But for several (personal) reasons, I will not organize anymore blind comparisons.

Sorry to hear that, but I imagine that they are hugely time consuming. In any case, very much appreciate the effort of including us. Thanks!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

madaboutmahler

Sorry also to hear that, Discobole, I have really enjoyed your comparisons! Don't worry about it, I understand that you are busy and it sounds as if you won't be able to find the time for the M6 comparison. I will post the results tommorow probably.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jonathas on June 23, 2012, 04:43:59 PM
5th. 11 - Le Poème Harmonique, Vincent Dumestre (Alpha, 2009)
Ninfa : Claire Lefilliâtre

Average ranking : 7,22

4th. 13 - The Consort of Musicke, Anthony Rooley (Virgin, 1990)
Ninfa : Emma Kirkby

Average ranking : 5,39

I've just listened through these again. I think the two I have highlighted would be the ones to get for me. I still love #4, but as discussed earlier, that one is best as a supplement I think as it is so different. In the end, #11 and #13 (those highlighted) have the voices that make my hair stand on end. If forced to choose just one, I think I'd go for #11 (Alpha). She brings out the harmonies and dissonaces exquisitely.

I disliked the one that came in first more than during my initial listen. Although the operatic approach adds something, I feel now that too much is lost (at least for me). I wouldn't want this one to be the only (or first) one I owned.

I think this has been the most interesting of all the blind listenings (for me, so far), precisely because it introduced music I knew very little about.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!