Masses in Classical Era Austria

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 10, 2012, 05:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 01, 2015, 06:20:03 PM
Pleased to note here that my decision to finally purchase this disk has been amply rewarded:

Performed by this same group who did my recommended Haydn Organ Concertos recording:

The playing is every bit as good, and this one has singing also, and the singers are superb. Barbara Fink, Ida Aldrian, Daniel Johannsen & Klemens Sander.

Some highlights for me were the outstanding Hob 23b:2 Salve Regina in g minor, which instantly rose to the top of the list of recordings I have of it. A World premiere of an organ concerto in F by Georg Reutter, an organ arrangement by Fux himself of his Sonata a 6 (K 366) and a Prelude & Fugue in C by Albrechtsberger (Op 6 #1) are also very nice. The Michael Haydn works, a Prelude and Verses for a Magnificat, and an super aria "Ah! Jesu recipe" which can be either a Passion or Advent aria are also typically excellent Michael Haydn.

If you are interested at all in this 18th Century Austrian church music genre, you owe it to yourself to scoop this up before it becomes rare.   0:)

8)

I didn't know this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

At this point, I'm sure you have heard more masses (and more frequently) than many catholics. Be cautious, Gurn, conversion could be waiting for you on the next corner.   ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on July 02, 2015, 04:42:35 AM
At this point, I'm sure you have heard more masses (and more frequently) than many catholics. Be cautious, Gurn, conversion could be waiting for you on the next corner.   ;D

If Gurn converted, one thing's for sure: Haydn would burst with joy up there.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on July 02, 2015, 04:42:35 AM
I didn't know this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2015, 05:02:35 AM
If Gurn converted, one thing's for sure: Haydn would burst with joy up there.  :D

I never researched the contents of it, that's why I didn't buy it earlier. The other day I saw a track listing somewhere and I was, like 'damn, what was I thinking?'.

What I really like is ritual, and these was no one like the 18th century Catholics for ritual. And they could support it in style, too! Fortunately, faith and religion are 2 different things, as is proved day in and day out even in modern times.   0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)