"Romantic" music by modernist composers?

Started by Lethevich, June 14, 2012, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Any suggestions? I am okay with highly Romantic-inspired modernism like Rihm, or pastiches/re-writings like Berio's Rendering or Schoenberg's SQ concerto. Baroque/classical periods are okay too - there is something appealing about familiar themes, but with an interesting harmonic spice.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

North Star

Tippett's Fantasia on a theme of Corelli might be what you're looking for.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

eyeresist

I assume you're looking for new music to listen to? I'm reluctant to make suggestions, because you will know many/most of them already.

Lethevich

My memory is so bad that I would be happy for ideas about obvious works I might have forgotten - plus anybody else who is interested can try them out too.

While I am looking for more consciously modern/fragmented than something like RVW's Tallis Fantasia (to pick some random thing), feel free to include other old-new works like that if you like, as others might be interested.

DieNacht

Jan Klusak´s "Mahler Variations" for orchestra are a definite possibility, though difficult to get I think. I have an mp3 LP-transfer - not the best sound quality - in case you don´t find it otherwise.

Rochberg generally, including the string quartets and the excellent piano quintet ?

Maurice Ohana, Leppo Sumera, Ruders Piano Cto on Dacapo, Maegaard Cello Concerto, Valen Violin Concerto, Saariaho Flute Cto L´Aile des Songes ...

eyeresist

Just off the top of my head:

Schnittke symphony 1, 3
Gorecki symphony 3
Hartmann & Henze symphonies?

Classical option:

Prokofiev symphony 1

Brian

I recently listened to Kalevi Aho's Ninth for the first time and I'd throw that one in the mix. There are a couple great episodes where 1700s-era music breaks out - found it amusing. You should also try the Naxos CD of Avner Dorman concertos, which range from a modern-baroque concerto grosso to a piano concerto, written when he was a teenager, that fits neatly alongside Ravel's in G or Shostakovich's No 2.

not edward

Late (post-1980) Denisov might be a good option here, as there's a distinctly neo-Romantic tone to his music from here on even though the compositional procedures used are anything but Romantic. (There's a sense in which the same is true of late Gubaidulina, though it's a lot less Romantic in feel. In fact, there's probably quite a few post-Soviet composers who at least partly fit the description--perhaps Mansurian too.)

Robin Holloway, perhaps? His music is definitely aware of the 20th century even if it often hews closer to older models. (There's a few British composers like that, for sure, though I expect you're better aware of them than I am.)

Ruders has been mentioned; the pastiche of earlier music is a key feature in the music of his countryman Karl Aage Rasmussen (some of Rasmussen's music is available in the MDT stock clearance sale, FWIW).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

RAUTAVAARA Symphony #3 and Cantus Arcticus

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

CRCulver

Paavo Heininen's Symphony No. 3 (available on a Ondine disc) might appeal to you. It's serialist, but with the scope and drama of a Mahler symphony.

Lethevich

The Rautavaara is a great example of the "integrated" style, and composers like Heininen and Klusak I hadn't even heard of before : D The Prokofiev 1st symphony is also an ideal example of the personalised-pastiche style that sounds so enjoyable to me.

Denisov I keep meaning to get around to but never do, along with Shchedrin he seems to be unfairly always re-shuffled to the bottom of my "to check out" list.

DieNacht

Denisov is very much a mixed bag, from the unapproachable to the Romantic. The 1st Symphony is very harsh in Rozhdestvensky´s recording, less so in Barenboim´s, but the 2nd is more attractive. The Chamber Symphony is also quite attractive. Most of the flute works sound French and sweetly lyrical too. 

Henk

I always have been attracted by Heininen.

This is a great disc, real romantic stuff:
[asin]B000006LOW[/asin]

J.Z. Herrenberg

Perhaps superfluous to mention - Stravinsky's 'Baiser de la Fée'.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kontrapunctus

Penderecki's more recent works, including his Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto No.2 have their Romantic moments. Now, you won't mistake them for Brahms or Bruckner, but they are certainly more "Romantic" in style than his works in the 60s and 70s!