A wee video I filmed of myself and a friend playing Bach

Started by Norbeone, June 11, 2012, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norbeone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YX6MBdr3Iw

The 3rd movement of the Sonata for violin and piano BWV 1015. A little bit different than how it's usually performed.
Hope you enjoy and any feedback would be most welcome!

Colin

Szykneij

The pizzicato violin gives somewhat of a harpsichord-feel to the articulation of the piano notes. An interesting effect, but the piano sounds too overpowering to me. Perhaps a room not so acoustically live would remedy that, or maybe it was just the microphone placement.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

whackabass

very nice, i press like for you, here's me and a friend playing invention 2 by bach on guitar and bass lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGgvpvkIFs&feature=channel&list=UL

Norbeone

Quote from: Szykneij on June 15, 2012, 02:28:22 AM
The pizzicato violin gives somewhat of a harpsichord-feel to the articulation of the piano notes. An interesting effect, but the piano sounds too overpowering to me. Perhaps a room not so acoustically live would remedy that, or maybe it was just the microphone placement.

Yeah you're right, it is overpowering, It was recorded on a simple field recorder in a not-great room (as you suggested) and was hard to get a good balance without 'tip-toeing' on the keys.

Thanks for listening and the feedback! :)

knight66

I am the mod who approved the clip, I enjoyed it a lot more than most first posts, so I hope you will provide more and join in the discussion threads. What came across was  your enjoyment and, again, how flexible Bach is. His music pretty much always shines through.

Cheers,

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Norbeone

Quote from: knight66 on June 17, 2012, 09:59:44 PM
I am the mod who approved the clip, I enjoyed it a lot more than most first posts, so I hope you will provide more and join in the discussion threads. What came across was  your enjoyment and, again, how flexible Bach is. His music pretty much always shines through.

Cheers,

Knight

Very kind of you Knight! Your words are most appreciated. As a matter of fact, myself and Carolyn (the violinist) are planning on filming the last movement of the sonata this weekend. I was thinking of playing it about 3 times slower than usual, as though it was a chorale. Maybe not though, just have to see how it goes  :)

EDIT -  oh, and thanks for approving it. Nice to see 'as seen on...' on my video!