Blind Comparison: R.Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra

Started by madaboutmahler, June 24, 2012, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2012, 05:53:27 AM
Perhaps the answer can be found within ourselves, we the individuals, hold the key to all of life's questions, we are, the Supermen.

;D :D ;D

Super Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 20, 2012, 06:02:33 AM
Which do you own, Neal?

Sarge
Karajan/BPO I think (the one that comes in the recently released Strauss box on DG with Karajan conducting). Basically, all I needed was Don Juan. Next thing I knew, I had five discs of his in my hand - like I needed another Alpine Symphony! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mahler10th

I'm sure Daniel will clear this up.  It may be that he has retrieved some of the samples from an online source.  Some fool may have misnamed the performance at the source, and like many of us, Dianiel didn't expect it to be anything other than what it said it was.  Maybe.  Anyway, it was still a great comparison, and if an innocent mistake has been made, I'm damn sure with the Mahler 1 test there will be no questions asked!   :D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Scots John on August 20, 2012, 06:31:20 AM
I'm sure Daniel will clear this up.  It may be that he has retrieved some of the samples from an online source.  Some fool may have misnamed the performance at the source, and like many of us, Dianiel didn't expect it to be anything other than what it said it was.  Maybe.  Anyway, it was still a great comparison, and if an innocent mistake has been made, I'm damn sure with the Mahler 1 test there will be no questions asked!   :D

I hope Daniel doesn't think this reflects poorly on him, because it truly doesn't. It's no big deal, it's actually kind of fun trying to find out which performance it is.

Daniel, come back!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2012, 06:34:00 AM

I hope Daniel doesn't think this reflects poorly on him, because it truly doesn't. It's no big deal, it's actually kind of fun trying to find out which performance it is.

Daniel, come back!
Exactly! I think it's way cool and a fun mystery!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Not Daniel's fault at all. I'm amazed he was able to find so many Zarathustra's for us. I couldn't have done it. And thanks to Daniel, this comparison has given me a much deeper appreciation of the work. One mislabeled (perhaps) performance just proves the rule: if something can go wrong, it will  :D

I checked the timings of my versions and listened to short segments of each. None matched C3. I didn't expect any would. I'm fairly certain I've never heard C3 before.

Sarge

madaboutmahler

Many thanks to all of your for your support, again, I'm very sorry about this! Yes, as John thought, I downloaded the Reiner from a website. The good news is that I now know which performance this is, and it's still Reiner. But in this case, recorded in 1980. The description given by the download is: Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Eterna 1980-

I searched using this description on amazon, but nothing came up, because of the word 'Eterna'. Any ideas anyone?

In the meantime, I continue to keep looking. Thanks again for your support, I will make sure a mistake like this never occurs again! :)

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Good news everyone! I am pretty sure I have found the recording you voted as your favourite now!

This is Reiner's later recording, with a duration that matches exactly the time of C3!

So here it is, your winner! (I'm pretty sure this time!)

[asin]B000007RSY[/asin]

What a great recording! And it comes with Der Rosenkavalier Waltzes.... :D Sorry again about this, thank you for everything everyone! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

So Reiner won without his 1954 recording, very interesting.

TheGSMoeller

I may have to buy that I really like that recording.

It's kind of like the Yankees minor-league team coming up to the majors and winning the World Series

Sergeant Rock

Thanks for clearing up the mystery, Daniel  8)

Sarge

madaboutmahler

Certainly is interesting, Greg! I wander what would have happened if I had included both Reiner's!

My pleasure, Sarge! And sorry for it happening in the first place! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

zauberflöte

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 20, 2012, 09:25:15 AM
The good news is that I now know which performance this is, and it's still Reiner. But in this case, recorded in 1980. The description given by the download is: Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Eterna 1980

But Reiner died in 1963. Now the next mystery. When was it recorded?  The album cover look distinctly early '60s.
But good work, Daniel for ferreting this all out.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: zauberflöte on August 20, 2012, 01:44:25 PM
But Reiner died in 1963. Now the next mystery. When was it recorded?  The album cover look distinctly early '60s.
But good work, Daniel for ferreting this all out.

The back of the cd says this particular recording of ASZ was made in 1962, so therefore one year before Reiner's death. I'm not quite sure why 1980 was mentioned in the download description therefore.... maybe it's the release date of the cd, or a remaster date? Thank you, Jim! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mahler10th

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

mjwal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 20, 2012, 01:55:22 PM
The back of the cd says this particular recording of ASZ was made in 1962, so therefore one year before Reiner's death. I'm not quite sure why 1980 was mentioned in the download description therefore.... maybe it's the release date of the cd, or a remaster date? Thank you, Jim! :)
I've come back to look at the final results of this blinder, which I regret not having had the stamina to continue after two rounds - and see that there is a small question about the 1962 Reiner ASZ. The solution is that it was obviously copied from an Eterna CD, Eterna being the name of the GDR record label back when - some reissues are still given this label - and that they just stuck the date of their original LP issue (there having been no CDs in 1980, of course) on the record. It's just possible that they weren't being very specific because of rights and payments. It was certainly issued on LP in the FRG, because I remember seeing that cover.
It sounds great anyway, even if I have realised that I am au fond out of sympathy with the work (though I still resonate to the liveMitropoulos/Concertgebouw), whereas the Alpensinfonie is one of my favourite Strauss works...
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter