Previous topic - Next topic

Scotch or Bourbon?

Scotch
34 (59.6%)
Bourbon
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

bwv 1080

Bourbon for me.  Weller's or Booker's with a little water or soda.  Although I have not had Scotch beyond the standard 12-year Glenlivit or Glenfidditch.

Interesting fact about Bourbon - unlike Scotch it increases in alcohol content with age so the aged Bourbons like Booker's have alcohol contents of 125 proof or more

bhodges

I like both, but lately bourbon seems to be nudging ahead.  I've been a huge fan of Knob Creek for about five years now, and also like the others in that "small-batch distilleries" group (i.e., Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden's).  Also like Woodford Reserve and just last week bought a bottle of Eagle Rare, which I hadn't tried, and it's quite delicious, too. 

--Bruce

Harry

bhodges

Quote from: Harry on July 10, 2007, 07:50:54 AM
Bourbon too!

What do you like drinking, Harry?  Any of those above, or perhaps something different?

--Bruce

Harry

Quote from: bhodges on July 10, 2007, 07:48:40 AM
I like both, but lately bourbon seems to be nudging ahead.  I've been a huge fan of Knob Creek for about five years now, and also like the others in that "small-batch distilleries" group (i.e., Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden's).  Also like Woodford Reserve and just last week bought a bottle of Eagle Rare, which I hadn't tried, and it's quite delicious, too. 

--Bruce

Yes, hmmm, you may send me a box with one bottle of each Bruce, since I can not get them here in Holland.
Much appreciated, you know that! ;D

Harry

Quote from: bhodges on July 10, 2007, 07:53:53 AM
What do you like drinking, Harry?  Any of those above, or perhaps something different?

--Bruce

When I was in the States my host put a bottle of Jack Daniels single malt in front of me, suggesting to take some wee dram with breakfast, which I did, and was sold, and drunk!
Until now the only decent Bourbon I can get here is Daniels my friend.

bhodges

Quote from: Harry on July 10, 2007, 07:54:49 AM
Yes, hmmm, you may send me a box with one bottle of each Bruce, since I can not get them here in Holland.
Much appreciated, you know that! ;D

;D  Next time I'm in Holland, your wish will be granted.  ;D  I brought some Knob Creek to a Dutch friend the last time I was there, and in about two days, much of the bottle was gone.  (Never mind that the stuff is 100 proof.)

Nothing wrong with Jack Daniels in the least - there's a reason it's popular - but once you try one of these others... ;D  But bourbon isn't that popular in the Netherlands, if I recall.  You are in more "wine country," right?

--Bruce

karlhenning

John Daniels for breakfast, HarryI got a loaded .45 here. You got pimples.  I'm gonna kill ya, Charlie, because I can't bear the thought of you sellin' out!

Harry

Quote from: bhodges on July 10, 2007, 08:06:44 AM
;D  Next time I'm in Holland, your wish will be granted.  ;D  I brought some Knob Creek to a Dutch friend the last time I was there, and in about two days, much of the bottle was gone.  (Never mind that the stuff is 100 proof.)

Nothing wrong with Jack Daniels in the least - there's a reason it's popular - but once you try one of these others... ;D  But bourbon isn't that popular in the Netherlands, if I recall.  You are in more "wine country," right?

--Bruce

True, wine it is, but also a growing popularity for single malts.
And that pleases me no end! ;D

PSmith08

I suppose I like scotch more, but bourbon has its charms (especially a Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or Maker's Mark). All things considered, a good single malt scotch or a good small batch (single barrel, better still) bourbon hit the spot. I like the somewhat smokier and occasionally rougher taste of some scotches, though.

All things considered, however, Stoli/Stoli Gold tend to be my drinks.

karlhenning

Irrelevant tangent, but since Scotch is a brand name, Staples calls their home brand "invisible tape."

M forever

Quote from: Harry on July 10, 2007, 07:57:00 AM
Until now the only decent Bourbon I can get here is Daniels my friend.

I think technically Jack Daniel's isn't Bourbon which is Kentucky whiskey but JD is Tennessee whiskey. I am not sure though, I find the subject a little confusing.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: M forever on July 10, 2007, 09:28:53 AM
I think technically Jack Daniel's isn't Bourbon which is Kentucky whiskey but JD is Tennessee whiskey.

Correct.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

beclemund

Some years ago, a friend of mine and I made an effort to sample a bottle of every single malt scotch we could find. It was a fantastic chase and I enjoyed it very much. And while I still do enjoy a smoky, peaty finish now and again, nothing beats a sweet bourbon... And a fantastic bottle of bourbon tends to cost much less than a fantastic bottle of scotch, but that may have more to do with my location in the Southern United States. :)

Though I have to admit, I always have a bottle of Dewar's 12 on hand.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Todd

Both!  Basil Hayden's, Booker's, Blanton's, or Knob Creek for bourbon; too many good choices for scotch, though The Macallan and Highland Park are good starting places.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

sidoze

Quote from: Todd on July 10, 2007, 10:35:33 AM
or Knob Creek for bourbon;

surely someone was having a little too much fun when creating this name.

beclemund

Quote from: sidoze on July 10, 2007, 10:42:34 AMsurely someone was having a little too much fun when creating this name.

It was named after a creek that ran near the Jim Beam distillery. There is no double entendre intended, I am sure.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

sidoze

Quote from: beclemund on July 10, 2007, 10:53:47 AM
It was named after a creek that ran near the Jim Beam distillery. There is no double entendre intended, I am sure.

Someone was having a little too much fun when naming the creek.

karlhenning

Those were days when there wasn't much to do in the Hickory State but have fun making up names . . . .

beclemund

Quote from: sidoze on July 10, 2007, 10:55:40 AMSomeone was having a little too much fun when naming the creek.

Haha! True enough.   :D