Previous topic - Next topic

Scotch or Bourbon?

Scotch
34 (59.6%)
Bourbon
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

kishnevi

This thread does not deserve to languish in obscurity.

Bourbon is good for drinking in clubs, and I'm never averse to Jack Daniels, but Scotch rules, especially for quiet coversation or meditative evenings at home reading by the fireplace (or what  would be the fireplace if I had one).

Mirror Image

Where is a "neither" option? I don't even drink alcohol. Never have liked the taste. Give me some sweet tea, ginger ale, or water any day.

Karl Henning

In strict compliance with the poll, I voted Bourbon.  But to Bourbon I prefer Irish whisky, particularly Bushmill's.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Tony, you talked me into it ...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Rumor has it that Santa will be delivering a bottle of Springbank 18 this year.  The 15 year old is quite fine, so I'm hoping this is good, too.  Alas, it's two weeks until delivery. 

I've been sampling various new (for me) bourbons over the past year or so, and I must say that Four Roses is not too shabby.  I can see keeping a bottle handy for special occasions.  Maker's Mark 46 needs some more work, tasting very woody, though it does lack the excess sweetness of regular Maker's Mark.  Bulleit just did not work for me.

On the scotch side, Cragganmore has joined Macallan and Highland Park as a go-to single malt.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
On the scotch side, Cragganmore has joined Macallan and Highland Park as a go-to single malt.

We have similar taste. They might be my top three too (Macallan 12 and Highland Park 18, definitely...the third spot has more competition but the Cragganmore is terrific).

I finally bought a bottle of Ardbeg. Reminds of me of Laphroaig but weightier and more complex. I would think it not an easy whisky to love but appeals greatly to me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2011, 08:12:39 AMI must say that Four Roses is not too shabby.

No, it isn't. Unfortunately it's not easy to find in Germany. A local supermarket once stocked it, but I haven't seen it in years now.

Sarge

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2011, 11:21:55 AM
No, it isn't. Unfortunately it's not easy to find in Germany. A local supermarket once stocked it, but I haven't seen it in years now.

Sarge

Funny, Four Roses and Jim Beam are the only Bourbons you can find here, and I quite like the Four Roses. But my vote went to Scotch in the end exactly because better selection I can get locally, Bowmore being current favorite.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on December 11, 2011, 11:45:51 AM
Funny...

That is funny. Hard to figure out global distribution and consumption.

Quote from: Drasko on December 11, 2011, 11:45:51 AM
But my vote went to Scotch in the end exactly because better selection I can get locally, Bowmore being current favorite.

Bowmore is my oldest and best friend's favorite whisky...but then he's a sailor and I think he just likes it for the label  ;D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on December 11, 2011, 11:45:51 AMBowmore being current favorite.

The 15-year-old bottle is especially attractive:

Sarge

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2011, 12:12:38 PM
The 15-year-old bottle is especially attractive:

Yes they are, but the only one I can find here is 12 y.o., no seagulls.  Even specialized shops don't have very wide selection. Though they are getting bit better lately.

Todd

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2011, 11:17:47 AMI finally bought a bottle of Ardbeg.

I've been meaning to try Ardbeg for years.  Alas, seeing mention of Laphroaig gives me pause.  Perhaps next year anyway.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on December 12, 2011, 06:39:09 AMAlas, seeing mention of Laphroaig gives me pause.

If you don't care for Laphroaig (I do, very much), then yes, you may not like Ardbeg. The iodine/medicinal elements, so pronounced in Laphroaig (Mrs. Rock calls it Band Aid scotch--I just think of it as the sea) is less pronounced in Ardbeg but still quite present, much more so than Bowmore. As I said, it's a more complex whisky so you get more in the nose and taste than just an overwhelming shot of "iodine."

Sarge

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Todd

Quote from: Ataraxia on December 12, 2011, 12:06:16 PMGin?

It has its place.  Mostly in a Tom Collins or Gin & Tonic.  Maybe a Churchill Martini.  Methinks a separate thread would almost be warranted.

MDL

Talisker: a light, crisp whisky; just what you need when you're full of hefty Xmas food and brandy. I love a snifter of bourbon, but you can't beat a proper Scottish whisky.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MDL on December 12, 2011, 03:05:39 PM
Talisker: a light, crisp whisky; just what you need when you're full of hefty Xmas food and brandy. I love a snifter of bourbon, but you can't beat a proper Scottish whisky.

Talisker is a great whisky but I wouldn't call it light. Full-bodied, almost syrupy has been my experience with the 10-year-old.

Sarge