Total Members Voted: 40

Karl Henning

. . . back from the amber edge
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Ken B

Todd

Tried the 2016 World Whiskey of the Year, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye.  I'm not sure how one determines the whiskey of the year - though I'd gladly take on the job were it to become available - but this whiskey has the slightest tinge of sweetness, is crazy smooth, and has somewhat subdued flavors.  It's the best mid-priced rye I've had (ca $30/bottle) but it doesn't match up to the earthier Michter's Rye for me.  I'll probably end up buying another bottle, though.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on December 20, 2015, 08:23:06 AM

Tried the 2016 World Whiskey of the Year, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye.  I'm not sure how one determines the whiskey of the year - though I'd gladly take on the job were it to become available - but this whiskey has the slightest tinge of sweetness, is crazy smooth, and has somewhat subdued flavors.  It's the best mid-priced rye I've had (ca $30/bottle) but it doesn't match up to the earthier Michter's Rye for me.  I'll probably end up buying another bottle, though.
Imagine how good it could have been if they hadn't spent most of the $30 on the bottle!

Elgarian Redux

Aha! Found it.

Worth mentioning a couple of malts that I've enjoyed during the last couple of years: finding myself gravitating towards slightly lighter whiskies (lighter by comparison with Aberlour's flagship), I found an unexpected plasure in Tobermory 10 year old. Not sweet like, say, Glenmorangie, but delicate and  ... nutty? For a while it became my go-to dram.

Then there was Tomatin. I've driven past the distillery (just south of Inverness) many a time, but have never stopped, or sampled the whisky. But walking along a street in Ullapool we spotted a bottle in a shop window and indulged our whim. Well, it was an instant hit, and has joined Tobermory as one of our favourites. Again, it's light and airy - and again, not sweet. But beware. There is a thing called Tomatin Legacy which can be picked up more cheaply, and this is not in the same league: quite raw and rough, by comparison, and ominously, it has no age statement on the label.

Papy Oli

Bumpity bump  8)

Just under 6 years ago, I asked some recommendations for my dad for his Christmas gift and those served him very well at the time...and since then too, thank you. Now I am back again for his forthcoming 70th, looking for a nice new bottle or two for him to try.

His tastes so far:

* Used to love Chivas Regal for blended on special occasions.

* Now fully converted to Speyside single Malt scotch : He loved the bottles i got him of Macallan (10 or 12 yo), Glenlivet (Founder's Reserve i think), Strathisla 12 yo. Also liked the Aberlour A'bunadh Cask (48 i think it was) although a bit too strong for his usual taste.

* Other he liked a lot: Jura 10 yo (I had a sip of this one with him, that very nearly converted me to whiskey, the aftertaste was gorgeous  ;D )

* Absolute no go : Peaty stuff like Laphroaig

* Non plussed : Glenfiddich, Monkey Shoulder..

Now looking for some new names for him to try: I saw Glenfarclas and Balvenie for Speyside. Is that any good ?
Anything from other regions please ? Glenmorangie for the Highlands ?
A possible side track : Japanese whiskey, any offers please ?
Any Irish Whiskey brands  to look at for his tastes ?

Thank you.

Olivier

Biffo

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 22, 2020, 05:05:30 AM
Bumpity bump  8)

Just under 6 years ago, I asked some recommendations for my dad for his Christmas gift and those served him very well at the time...and since then too, thank you. Now I am back again for his forthcoming 70th, looking for a nice new bottle or two for him to try.

His tastes so far:

* Used to love Chivas Regal for blended on special occasions.

* Now fully converted to Speyside single Malt scotch : He loved the bottles i got him of Macallan (10 or 12 yo), Glenlivet (Founder's Reserve i think), Strathisla 12 yo. Also liked the Aberlour A'bunadh Cask (48 i think it was) although a bit too strong for his usual taste.

* Other he liked a lot: Jura 10 yo (I had a sip of this one with him, that very nearly converted me to whiskey, the aftertaste was gorgeous  ;D )

* Absolute no go : Peaty stuff like Laphroaig

* Non plussed : Glenfiddich, Monkey Shoulder..

Now looking for some new names for him to try: I saw Glenfarclas and Balvenie for Speyside. Is that any good ?
Anything from other regions please ? Glenmorangie for the Highlands ?
A possible side track : Japanese whiskey, any offers please ?
Any Irish Whiskey brands  to look at for his tastes ?

Thank you.

As two of my favourites, Glenfiddich and Laphroiag are out of bounds I will have to fall back on second reserves Glenlivet and Glenmorangie.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2020, 06:06:26 AM
As two of my favourites, Glenfiddich and Laphroiag are out of bounds I will have to fall back on second reserves Glenlivet and Glenmorangie.

Thank you Biffo. Any particular Glenmorangie in mind please ?
Olivier

Biffo

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 22, 2020, 06:08:10 AM
Thank you Biffo. Any particular Glenmorangie in mind please ?

I have before me an unopened (!) bottle of 'Ten Years Old' Glenmorangie which I think is the most common variety. I am sure I have tried others in the past but can't remember what they were.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2020, 06:12:43 AM
I have before me an unopened (!) bottle of 'Ten Years Old' Glenmorangie which I think is the most common variety. I am sure I have tried others in the past but can't remember what they were.

ok, cheers  ;D
Olivier