Previous topic - Next topic

Scotch or Bourbon?

Scotch
34 (59.6%)
Bourbon
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Thanks. You're going to regret it some day, though. ;)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

That time of the year again to set my brother up with a bottle or two of decent drink.  (Last year you might remember that we went with a moonshine).

Kept it Colorado this year:

http://www.leopoldbros.com/#!home/c10rj

Also, thrown into the "mix":

Dunno, and do not want to know, what Navy strength means.  Sounds more like a cleaner than a sipper.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 23, 2014, 03:18:38 AM
Dunno, and do not want to know, what Navy strength means.  Sounds more like a cleaner than a sipper.

Navy strength: gin with a very high alcohol content. "...the historical proof at which gunpowder might still be fired should it unfortunately be soaked by spilled spirit."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 23, 2014, 04:54:56 AM
Navy strength: gin with a very high alcohol content. "...the historical proof at which gunpowder might still be fired should it unfortunately be soaked by spilled spirit."

Sarge

Uh, oh. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

I debated which thread to put this in, here or the eating thread. I had smoked salmon for lunch, salmon that had been marinated in Glenmorangie  8)

Sarge

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 24, 2014, 10:58:17 AM
After reading and searching a bit over the last few days, I decided to go for a bottle of Aberlour-A'bunadh (batch 48) for now.

on the colour alone, I might even try a sip of that at Christmas myself  :o

The Aberlour A'bunadh was thoroughly enjoyed at Christmas. My dad really liked it. I even did like the aftertaste !!

Thanks again to you all for the recs.
Olivier

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 23, 2014, 04:57:45 AM
I debated which thread to put this in, here or the eating thread. I had smoked salmon for lunch, salmon that had been marinated in Glenmorangie  8)

Sarge
Oooooooooooooooooo.

Anything else in the marinade?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on December 30, 2014, 11:01:42 AM
Oooooooooooooooooo.

Anything else in the marinade?

Just salt and sugar.

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 30, 2014, 10:49:24 AM
The Aberlour A'bunadh was thoroughly enjoyed at Christmas. My dad really liked it. I even did like the aftertaste !!

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich (sp?) 15 year old to drink with a visiting Scotch drinker.  I usually prefer bourbon, but was very pleasantly surprised.  Rich, mellow flavor--heavy and even a bit sweet. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 31, 2014, 07:39:20 AM
I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich (sp?) 15 year old to drink with a visiting Scotch drinker.  I usually prefer bourbon, but was very pleasantly surprised.  Rich, mellow flavor--heavy and even a bit sweet.

Ever had Elijah Craig? That's my favourite mid priced bourbon. (My favourite high price bourbon is a box of CDs and a cheap bourbon 8))

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on December 31, 2014, 10:52:56 AM
(My favourite high price bourbon is a box of CDs and a cheap bourbon 8))

A wise man :)
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on December 31, 2014, 10:52:56 AM
Ever had Elijah Craig? That's my favourite mid priced bourbon.

I have, not my favorite, but nigh thereunto.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 30, 2014, 10:49:24 AM

Thanks again to you all for the recs.
Whew!  ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jochanaan

Quote from: Bogey on December 23, 2014, 03:18:38 AM
That time of the year again to set my brother up with a bottle or two of decent drink.  (Last year you might remember that we went with a moonshine).

Kept it Colorado this year:

http://www.leopoldbros.com/#!home/c10rj

Also, thrown into the "mix":

Oooh, haven't seen those!  Nor have I yet had a chance to taste Stranahan's... :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Sergeant Rock

When placing an order with Amazon, I couldn't decide between bourbon and scotch, so I ordered both: an Islay I've never tried before, Caol Ila; and a bourbon that is also new to me, Bulleit Frontier Whiskey.

The Bulleit purchase was inspired by an article and accompanying comments about the insane prices for Pappy Van Winkle. Several folks claimed there were other bourbons just as good, and reasonably priced. Bulleit was mentioned a few times.

Sarge

The new erato

Caol Ila 12 YO is very good stuff IMO.

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 19, 2015, 09:21:43 AM
When placing an order with Amazon, I couldn't decide between bourbon and scotch, so I ordered both: an Islay I've never tried before, Caol Ila; and a bourbon that is also new to me, Bulleit Frontier Whiskey.

The Bulleit purchase was inspired by an article and accompanying comments about the insane prices for Pappy Van Winkle. Several folks claimed there were other bourbons just as good, and reasonably priced. Bulleit was mentioned a few times.

Sarge

I have liked the Bulleit I have tried. I have a bottle in the basement. It is quite popular.

One good development this year is I have have started to prefer bourbon. My wallet is very happy. I even found a good ridiculously cheap rum, Cruzan Aged Dark. Insist on the dark! The Cruzan Aged Rum is pale crap. But the dark is a decent tipple and under $10 a bottle.