Tippett's Tearoom

Started by karlhenning, April 11, 2007, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Quote from: karlhenning on April 19, 2012, 07:06:40 AM
Lebrecht is the musical Rush Limbaugh: you don't read him for content, but for the entertainment in the noise he makes.

I believe that Record Review ran a nice piece on Tippett back when they were still extant - I'll have to scan that in for the group some day.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

That would be interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Scion7

Giving the ol' symphony number four a listen - been a long time.   Breathe in, breathe out ...
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on April 19, 2012, 04:49:46 PM
Giving the ol' symphony number four a listen - been a long time.   Breathe in, breathe out ...

The best performance I've heard of this work is Tippett's own. Which one are you listening to?

eyeresist

Rather disturbed to learn that Tippett's themes were "parochial".  ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on April 19, 2012, 06:38:09 PM
Rather disturbed to learn that Tippett's themes were "parochial".  ::)

The whole article that critic wrote was a major eye roll. One ridiculous assertion after another.

Scion7

Hickox, Bournemouth Symph on the 4th.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on April 19, 2012, 11:24:23 PM
Hickox, Bournemouth Symph on the 4th.

Great performance. Stay away from the Solti/CSO. Truly one of most awful performances of anything I've heard.

vandermolen

'A Child of Our Time' is being performed at the London Proms this year.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Yeah, I remember back in the day reading in the press Tippett stating in so many words that he didn't like Solti's performance of it - not sure if that seriously damaged their friendship.

By the way - what the heck is this crap???  Ravings of a psychotic who has access to the 'net? --  http://lohere.net/kulkapedia/samuel/Sir_Michael_Tippett

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2012, 08:52:57 AM
'A Child of Our Time' is being performed at the London Proms this year.

Let's hope David Robertson can pull it off as well as Colin Davis and Hickox have done.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Luke on April 01, 2012, 02:44:51 AM
Can't do 5, can just about do 10, though I'm loathe to leave out King Priam, any of symphonies 2-4, the other quartets and the songs among other things.

Double Concerto
Piano Concerto
Triple Concerto
Quartet 3
A Child of Our Time
Corelli Fantasy
Midsummer Marriage
Vision of St Augustine
Concerto for Orchestra
Four Horn Sonata
Tippett works I was lucky to play with Michael on stick duty:
Suite in D
Little Music for Strings
Ritual Dances
Sellinger's Round
Shires Suite
Other works with Tippett conducting:
Greensleeves Fantasia
Enigma Variations
Brigg Fair
Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphoses
Circus Band
Putnam's Camp
Rhapsody in Blue
Russlan and Ludmilla
Quiet City
Rio Grande
Children in Leicestershire were pretty lucky weren't they? :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scion7 on April 20, 2012, 09:46:21 AM
Yeah, I remember back in the day reading in the press Tippett stating in so many words that he didn't like Solti's performance of it - not sure if that seriously damaged their friendship.

By the way - what the heck is this crap???  Ravings of a psychotic who has access to the 'net? --  http://lohere.net/kulkapedia/samuel/Sir_Michael_Tippett

Someone copies the Wiki article, inserts random and nonsensical obscene and coarse words into the text, and thinks it's funny? I suppose it's the work of a 12-year-old...or someone with the mental age of a pubescent boy who doesn't yet understand grammar:

HE IS MOTHERFUCKING GENERALLY ACKNOWLEDGED TO BE -FUCKING-ONE OF THE MOST FUCKER IMPORTANT BRITISH COMPOSERS

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 21, 2012, 05:03:26 AM
Someone copies the Wiki article, inserts random and nonsensical obscene and coarse words into the text, and thinks it's funny? I suppose it's the work of a 12-year-old...or someone with the mental age of a pubescent boy who doesn't yet understand grammar:

HE IS MOTHERFUCKING GENERALLY ACKNOWLEDGED TO BE -FUCKING-ONE OF THE MOST FUCKER IMPORTANT BRITISH COMPOSERS

Sarge

Lol. Yeah, the person who did obviously doesn't have a clue as to how to even be humorous.

madaboutmahler

Absolutely disgraceful. Who on earth is actually stupid enough to spend time writing this absolute, pathetic rubbish? If there is one of these for Mahler... then I cannot be held responsible for my reaction! I would probably have to find the author down and send 20 trained Mahler percussionists to hammer him/her down.  >:(

On another more delightful message, finally, all the Tippett cds I ordered a few weeks ago have arrived. I look forward to listening to these! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Agreed, that's absolutely outrageous; just nonsense written by a pathetic idiot. >:(
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

raduneo

I'm pretty sure it's an algorithm that inserts specific (obscene) words at different parts of the phrase. Since grammar and syntax can get quite tricky for a computer, there are mistakes every now and then. This wasn't targetted at Tippett; it seems that Pulp-pedia (a very vulgar version of wikipedia) takes EVERY wikipedia article and "converts" it using that algorithm.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 21, 2012, 09:08:50 AM

On another more delightful message, finally, all the Tippett cds I ordered a few weeks ago have arrived. I look forward to listening to these! :)

Excellent, Daniel. Can't wait to hear your opinion of them. 8)

eyeresist

Quote from: raduneo on April 21, 2012, 09:30:43 AMI'm pretty sure it's an algorithm that inserts specific (obscene) words at different parts of the phrase. Since grammar and syntax can get quite tricky for a computer, there are mistakes every now and then. This wasn't targetted at Tippett; it seems that Pulp-pedia (a very vulgar version of wikipedia) takes EVERY wikipedia article and "converts" it using that algorithm.

Yeh, I was going to point this out.

raduneo

I'm ready for a new Tippett order: which recording of A Child of Our Time should I get?