Tippett's Tearoom

Started by karlhenning, April 11, 2007, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward

If you like A Child of Our Time I'd be tempted to suggest the two major string orchestra works (Concerto for Double String Orchestra and Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli), plus the piano concerto and the 2nd symphony.

From King Priam--to my mind the pick of his operas--on, his music tends to be much less consonant and more gritty: I really like the last two symphonies but they tend to divide listeners. The late works, from The Mask of Time on, I find less interesting and prone to recycling ideas; the valedictory The Rose Lake is probably the standout here.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

relm1

Thank you, Edward.  What is his general style like?  I mean, if one likes ___, they will like Tippett?

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on July 18, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
..., if one likes ___, they will like Tippett?

That is a marvelously tangled question....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

not edward

Quote from: relm1 on July 18, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
Thank you, Edward.  What is his general style like?  I mean, if one likes ___, they will like Tippett?
I don't think there's a useful answer to this: even the more conservative, earlier works have a tendency to subvert their models, while the later works sound like nobody else.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

springrite

If you like Michael Palin, you may like Tippett.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

relm1

Well I am traversing his symphonies and really enjoy it.  The one work I really am curious about (the opera New Year) seems impossible to find.  But so far really good. 

relm1

After listening to all symphonies (and just about to embark on the operas), it seems to me Michael Tippett can be compared to Egon Wellesz or maybe Daniel Jones.  The early music is quite traditional yet well crafted.  The later music has a tremendous evolution and is quite experimental and distinctive.  It is actually hard to associate the late style is the same composer.  The skill is still there.  Thoughts??  I love the surprises I am experiencing exploring this music.

Mirror Image

I tend to like Tippett's early music more, but will freely admit that The Rose Lake is one of his best works of any period. Have you heard it yet, relm1?

relm1

I have not yet heard "The Rose Lake" but thanks for your recommendation.  I'll certainly check it out.  I have completed my survey of the symphonies and very much enjoyed them all.  I would say the composer Tippett seems most similar to sound wise is Alun Hoddinott as a whole.  The music finely crafted, dramatic, well structured, and rich in colors and texture.  They both have a dramatic sensibility and austerity yet can be extremely delicate too.  I can hear some Per Norgard and Kaija Saariaho in his later music (Symphony No. 4) too.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on July 21, 2014, 04:09:40 PM
I have not yet heard "The Rose Lake" but thanks for your recommendation.  I'll certainly check it out.  I have completed my survey of the symphonies and very much enjoyed them all.

Cool . . . I must give them another go soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

calyptorhynchus

Does anyone know if Tippett early Symphony in G minor form the 30s has ever been played or recorded? I seem to remember his biographer saying it wasn't bad and he couldn't think why Tippett disowned it.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

EigenUser

Okay, so I love the Tippett PC. What should I hear next?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on March 18, 2015, 12:20:59 AM
Okay, so I love the Tippett PC. What should I hear next?
Concerto for double string orchestra, Fantasia concertante on a theme of Corelli, and A Child of Our Time.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on March 18, 2015, 12:22:54 AM
Concerto for double string orchestra, Fantasia concertante on a theme of Corelli, and A Child of Our Time.

I would add Symphonies 2 & 3 and The Rose Lake to this list. 8)

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on March 18, 2015, 12:22:54 AM
Seconded.

Daverz

I see a Conifer CD and a Chandos CD of Rose Lake?  Any druthers?  Presto has the Chandos for lossless download.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on March 18, 2015, 12:39:08 PM
I see a Conifer CD and a Chandos CD of Rose Lake?  Any druthers?  Presto has the Chandos for lossless download.

I prefer the Hickox on Chandos, but YMMV.

snyprrr

one of the few symphonic cycles left , but that Decca is always so expensive... I'd only want the one with 1-3. $$$ $$$

John Whitmore

Anybody on here checked these downloads out? They are all restorations of tapes and vinyl LPs from my own personal collection.The download quality is excellent.
KHCD-2012-016 Tippett conducting Prince Charles Suite first commercial recording on Pye
KHCD-2012-017 Complete Shires Suite commercial Unicorn recording
KHCD-2012-022  Tippett conducting excerpts from Shires Suite on Argo
LSSO-CD1 Tippett conducting the first performance of Shires Suite in 1970 plus other works by Tippett and Ives
LSSO-CD2 Concert performance of A Child of Our Time
http://klassichaus.us/LSSO-CDs-MP3s.php

snyprrr

In excruciating detail, which set, or individual, or what, do I get for the Symphonies? 1-3 are important, 4 not so much...

thank you, please!! :-*