Tippett's Tearoom

Started by karlhenning, April 11, 2007, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordlance

Not sure why Tippett's seriousness is being remarked on. I think the dissonance or harshness is part-and-parcel of most modern composers... Rihm, Julian Anderson, Sallinen....

If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread. Feel free to contribute and make the list grow!

foxandpeng

Quote from: lordlance on February 06, 2024, 12:56:38 PMNot sure why Tippett's seriousness is being remarked on. I think the dissonance or harshness is part-and-parcel of most modern composers... Rihm, Julian Anderson, Sallinen....

Merely in the same vein that we do with other composers, I guess; a reflection on how his music feels. I am a big fan of Tippett, as with PMD and Robert Simpson, but it is worth noting that their beauty and worth is unlike that of Vasks or Silvestrov. My stamina for Penderecki is different to my back to back patience with Thomas de Hartmann. Both are wonderful, but not equal in their emotional or technical challenges 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy