Tippett's Tearoom

Started by karlhenning, April 11, 2007, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on November 05, 2015, 03:07:10 PM
In excruciating detail, which set, or individual, or what, do I get for the Symphonies? 1-3 are important, 4 not so much...

thank you, please!! :-*

As I mentioned, earlier in the year:

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 18, 2015, 06:34:15 PM
I prefer the Hickox on Chandos, but YMMV.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2015, 03:10:29 PM
As I mentioned, earlier in the year:

YMMV = you may  ___   ____

I've found I'm not good at this newspeak... ttyt... k?

anyhow, gotcha on the tipp

So, is the 'News Years' Music the worst music of all time??

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

Resurrecting this thread to say how much I've enjoyed listening to Tippett's 2nd and 4th Symphonies, which I got a recording of today (an old BBC disc conducted by the composer himself). First time I've heard both works.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 04, 2016, 12:14:41 PM
Resurrecting this thread to say how much I've enjoyed listening to Tippett's 2nd and 4th Symphonies, which I got a recording of today (an old BBC disc conducted by the composer himself). First time I've heard both works.
I like Symphony 2 but No.1 remains my favourite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on November 06, 2015, 01:15:26 PM
YMMV = you may  ___   ____

I've found I'm not good at this newspeak... ttyt... k?

anyhow, gotcha on the tipp

So, is the 'News Years' Music the worst music of all time??

It took you nearly 8 months to ask what YMMV means? :o I wouldn't trust you with a paper route. ;D

DaveF

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 04, 2016, 12:14:41 PM

Have that disc myself - it's a wonderful account of the 4th, but the 2nd sounds scrappy and under-rehearsed to my ears.  If you try Hickox or Colin Davis in no.2, you'll be astonished - guaranteed.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Maestro267

I don't understand how something can sound "under-rehearsed" if one is hearing the piece for the first time ever. I'm perfectly fine with this recording of it. It does change my plan of picking up the complete cycle now; all I really need are individual discs with No. 1 and No. 3 on them, and the Chandos No. 1 also has the Piano Concerto on it, thus killing two birds with one stone, metaphorically speaking.

Heck148

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 06, 2016, 03:29:35 AM
..... It does change my plan of picking up the complete cycle now; all I really need are individual discs with No. 1 and No. 3 on them, and the Chandos No. 1 also has the Piano Concerto on it, thus killing two birds with one stone, metaphorically speaking.

Is the great Decca set still available??

1-3 with Colin Davis/LSO
#4  with Solti/CSO - top-notch performance all the way, also -
Suite in D [Prince Chas Birthday] -neat piece!!

DaveF

Quote from: Heck148 on November 06, 2016, 04:35:23 AM
Is the great Decca set still available??

On Amazon UK, although not particularly cheap:

[asin]B000068QS5[/asin]

Rons_talking

I recently picked up the Chandos recording of Tippett's symphonies and for the first time listened to the 4th. Some musicians I know consider him too modern, others too tame, but I believe his harmonies, forms, and orchestration make for a brilliant example of what contemporary music can do at its best. I've never sat down with a score and analyzed his work, but his music seems very vibrant and soulful. The textures seem to vary quite a bit and make for original development--quite unpredictable. I have to admit the 3rd S w/vocals is not a favourite but the others seem to be of the highest order. Of course I've listened to "A Child of our Time" as well as his piano and Double concerti, but from Tippett fans I'd like to know what you consider his best works. I'm kicking myself for ignoring his music so long...

Mirror Image

My general problem with Tippett's symphonies, especially nowadays, is that the music is too complex for its own good. There aren't really any memorable themes or ideas that get the juices inside of me flowing. They're knotty, jumbled works that seem to not go anywhere in particular. I like a good bit of Tippett's other music, but the symphonies are just too 'busy' and lacking a distinctive voice that's compelling to listen to.

DaveF

Quote from: Rons_talking on November 07, 2016, 03:26:27 PM
...from Tippett fans I'd like to know what you consider his best works. I'm kicking myself for ignoring his music so long...

I rate a lot of his works very highly, but perhaps a top 10 would be The Midsummer Marriage, Symphonies 2 & 4, the Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli (which his biographer Ian Kemp calls his "most perfect work"), string quartets 3 & 4, The Vision of St Augustine, the Concerto for Orchestra, Dance, Clarion Air and the Concerto for double string orchestra.

Maestro267

Picked up a 2-disc set today, featuring the Corelli Fantasia, Ritual Dances, the Piano Concerto, the Concerto for Double String Orchestra, Divertimento on Sellinger's Round, Little Music, and Songs for Dov.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 23, 2017, 09:32:07 AM
Picked up a 2-disc set today, featuring the Corelli Fantasia, Ritual Dances, the Piano Concerto, the Concerto for Double String Orchestra, Divertimento on Sellinger's Round, Little Music, and Songs for Dov.

When you can, please report!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Well, his is a coincidence - I was just reading the thread earlier today, and thinking about picking up this..
[asin]B017752XLO[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Herman

Quote from: North Star on March 23, 2017, 09:44:55 AM
Well, his is a coincidence - I was just reading the thread earlier today, and thinking about picking up this..
[asin]B017752XLO[/asin]

Maybe you should. It's one of the few places where you can get Tippett's Fifth QUartet and it's a wonderful piece.

North Star

Quote from: Herman on October 28, 2017, 12:17:14 PM
Maybe you should. It's one of the few places where you can get Tippett's Fifth QUartet and it's a wonderful piece.
Oh I did. On March 30th. ;) And a very good set it is, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2016, 03:42:26 PM
My general problem with Tippett's symphonies, especially nowadays, is that the music is too complex for its own good. There aren't really any memorable themes or ideas that get the juices inside of me flowing. They're knotty, jumbled works that seem to not go anywhere in particular. I like a good bit of Tippett's other music, but the symphonies are just too 'busy' and lacking a distinctive voice that's compelling to listen to.

I like Tippett's first two symphonies quite a bit, but I do understand what you mean about his music being too complex and "busy" for its own good. That said, I've sampled a bit of his The Rose Lake which sounded quite entrancing.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff