Author Topic: Tveitt's Nordic Tower  (Read 9567 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Tveitt's Nordic Tower
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »
Found this thread after being redirected from the Scandinavian composer's site. It hasn't had much activity recently but as a belated reply to those looking for more  Tveitt this is an interesting disc of chamber works - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geirr-Tveitt-Travel-Premier-Recording/dp/B0058OA9HM/ref=sr_1_12?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1509195842&sr=1-12&keywords=tveitt

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »
This is indeed a fine CD as both works are very poetic and magical in places:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
I especially like the Variations on a Folksong from Hardanger. My favourite work by Tveitt so far.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »

Few activity on this thread for an original and great composer. Anyway, today I discovered his Harp Concerto No. 2 on the disc above and I must say it struck me largely. A lyrical, turbulent and eventually moving work. One of the best works in the genre IMO.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »

Few activity on this thread for an original and great composer. Anyway, today I discovered his Harp Concerto No. 2 on the disc above and I must say it struck me largely. A lyrical, turbulent and eventually moving work. One of the best works in the genre IMO.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Cesar. For some reason, Tveitt is a composer I often forget about, but when I do listen to his music I find it deeply individual and compelling. Recently, I listened to his Piano Concerto no. 5 (Naxos recording), which opens with a strikingly anarchic upward gesture, but soon settles down into Tveitt’s characteristic rugged yet melodic folksy style. There are moments of poignant lyricism in the slow movement (poetically titled Danse aux campanules bleus/Dance of the blue bellflowers) and the finale is infectiously upbeat and uplifting. I haven’t heard the Harp Concerto no. 2, but I’m sure I’d enjoy it as I’ve never heard a weak work by this composer.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Alex Bozman

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »

I've got this cd and haven't listened to it for a while. The Harp Concerto no 2 is a quirky piece, recall the harp doesn't have a prominent role in the early phase but becomes more prominent in a strangely compelling work. Though don't know that many other 20/21st century Harp Concertos, the William Mathias is the other one than stands out.

Kyjo reminds me that I need to dig out the Tveitt Naxos Piano Concerto/Folktune Suites cds, bought around the time of a change of address and buried somewhere. One day  will get round to organising my music properly... 

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
Though don't know that many other 20/21st century Harp Concertos, the William Mathias is the other one that stands out.

Indeed, the Mathias is a remarkable work. There are also excellent ones by Alwyn (Lyra Angelica), Dohnányi (Concertino), Ginastera, Glière, Jongen, and Tailleferre (Concertino). 
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Cesar. For some reason, Tveitt is a composer I often forget about, but when I do listen to his music I find it deeply individual and compelling. Recently, I listened to his Piano Concerto no. 5 (Naxos recording), which opens with a strikingly anarchic upward gesture, but soon settles down into Tveitt’s characteristic rugged yet melodic folksy style. There are moments of poignant lyricism in the slow movement (poetically titled Danse aux campanules bleus/Dance of the blue bellflowers) and the finale is infectiously upbeat and uplifting. I haven’t heard the Harp Concerto no. 2, but I’m sure I’d enjoy it as I’ve never heard a weak work by this composer.

Yes, his PCs are a source of good music indeed. I guess you know the Variations on a Folksong from Hardanger for two pianos and orchestra. A truly magical work. The Harp Concerto No. 2 is really great too. You could like it.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 11:02:40 AM »
I've got this cd and haven't listened to it for a while. The Harp Concerto no 2 is a quirky piece, recall the harp doesn't have a prominent role in the early phase but becomes more prominent in a strangely compelling work. Though don't know that many other 20/21st century Harp Concertos, the William Mathias is the other one than stands out.

Precisely. As I posted in WAYL2N thread, in the 1st movement the harp has less participation, that movement is more given to the orchestra in a powerful funeral march. In the other movements the solo instrument has more prominence, above all in the utterly poignant Memorias dolorosas. That is a formidable movement.

I had forgot the Mathias. Another splendid work.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
Yes, his PCs are a source of good music indeed. I guess you know the Variations on a Folksong from Hardanger for two pianos and orchestra. A truly magical work. The Harp Concerto No. 2 is really great too. You could like it.

Indeed, I do know the Variations. A superb and substantial work. One can only hope that more works of his that were thought to have been lost in the tragic barn fire can be discovered/reconstructed in the future!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »
This remains, for me, my favorite Tveitt recording:

I’m know I’ve mentioned this recording before, but it’s definitely one of those albums I’d bring to the desert island. Yes, it’s that good.
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2020, 12:42:06 AM »
This remains, for me, my favorite Tveitt recording:

I’m know I’ve mentioned this recording before, but it’s definitely one of those albums I’d bring to the desert island. Yes, it’s that good.

I liked the cover of this so much that I bought a full-sized copy of it and had it framed. The disc is excellent too.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:35 AM »
I liked the cover of this so much that I bought a full-sized copy of it and had it framed. The disc is excellent too.

I loved the cover as well. Theodor Kittelsen has done a lot of fantastic artwork. I think the tone poem Nykken rivals any of Sibelius’ own in the genre. That is how strongly I feel about that work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:36:11 AM by Mirror Image »
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79