Tveitt's Nordic Tower

Started by madaboutmahler, July 22, 2012, 05:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Listened to some of his music for the first time today, his first piano concerto. Lovely, lyrical music full of a rather melancholic nostalgia I thought... A very fascinating piece too.

What do you think of his music? I personally am very interested to hear more of his work. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

I thinkhe is one of the most interesting Norwegian composers with a  particuar genius for orchestration. His folk Tunes from Hardanger (the Naxos recordings are fine) has a lot of interesting and colorful orchestration with lots of humor as well as nostalgic longing.

springrite

I only have one CD of his piano music which is wonderful. I am curious of his orchestral music because people in the know tell me they are even better.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: The new erato on July 22, 2012, 08:19:43 AM
I thinkhe is one of the most interesting Norwegian composers with a  particuar genius for orchestration. His folk Tunes from Hardanger (the Naxos recordings are fine) has a lot of interesting and colorful orchestration with lots of humor as well as nostalgic longing.

Fromt what I have heard so far, his music certainly does sound incredibly interesting! And so far of his I have only heard his first piano concerto, which I presume is one of his earlier works, having written it at the age of 19. I wonder how (/if) his style changed over the years...
Thank you for the recommendation, I shall make sure to listen to that work that you recommend.

Quote from: springrite on July 22, 2012, 08:29:22 AM
I only have one CD of his piano music which is wonderful. I am curious of his orchestral music because people in the know tell me they are even better.

The first piano concerto certainly is a very lovely, beautiful work. And even being the only Tveitt work I know so far, I can highly recommend it! :)
http://www.youtube.com/v/sc1yfUcnfM8
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Now listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/v/lXvOk4bl-uM&feature=related

Some really excellent, beautiful music. And what a fascinating set of pieces too! Really enjoying exploring this composer's music!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

lescamil

The 4th piano concerto by Tveitt is easily my favorite work of his, particularly as played by Håvard Gimse. It is the perfect blend of his impressionist and Sibelian textures, along with that sort of Nordic Bartók sound. The brilliant orchestration combined with the ingenious piano writing is just a delight to listen to. It is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of the 20th century.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

madaboutmahler

Quote from: lescamil on July 22, 2012, 08:14:31 PM
The 4th piano concerto by Tveitt is easily my favorite work of his, particularly as played by Håvard Gimse. It is the perfect blend of his impressionist and Sibelian textures, along with that sort of Nordic Bartók sound. The brilliant orchestration combined with the ingenious piano writing is just a delight to listen to. It is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of the 20th century.
Wow - this is something I will have to listen to then! Sounds like something I would enjoy very much. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Just listened to the 4th piano concerto, that was absolutely amazing....  :o
A really thrilling, and hauntingly beautiful piece. I was not expecting it to be so moving!

Have really enjoyed everything I have heard of Tveitt's so far, and am becoming really enthusisatic about his music!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ie_1TAzYX6g

Great fun!  ;D

And so different to his piano concerti!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

not edward

Quote from: lescamil on July 22, 2012, 08:14:31 PM
That's the Aurora Borealis concerto, right? If so I can second everything you say: a superb work that inhabits a style entirely of its own (perhaps the closest relative might be Grieg's later, more austere folk-influenced works such as Slatter). I've not heard much else by him, though the more conventional Fifth concerto impressed me less.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

madaboutmahler

Quote from: edward on July 23, 2012, 05:51:22 AM
That's the Aurora Borealis concerto, right? If so I can second everything you say: a superb work that inhabits a style entirely of its own (perhaps the closest relative might be Grieg's later, more austere folk-influenced works such as Slatter). I've not heard much else by him, though the more conventional Fifth concerto impressed me less.

Yes, that's it - I listened to it earlier and was absolutely amazed.... an incredibly thrilling and moving work, with many magical moments.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

He used to "transfer" his name into Tverr Geit, which in Norwegian roughly means grumpy goat.

Tveitt is very much his own man. He had an intense interest in ancient modal scales and did lots of research into them.

Also, from wiki:

"Tveitt had become increasingly frustrated with the teaching in Leipzig, but found a new freedom and inspiration. Here he obtained lessons from some of the greatest and most well-known composers of the times: Arthur Honegger and Heitor Villa-Lobos both agreed to see Tveitt. He further managed to enroll in the classes of Nadia Boulanger. Tveitt also made a visit to Vienna, where he was able to study for some time with Austrian composer Egon J. Wellesz"

He also wrote several popular songs that became, well, very popular.

One of them is this very beautiful song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLoXZ4uaig

It has even been played by Bruce Springsteen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBaB4DDaKE&feature=related

Lisztianwagner

Today I've heard some of Tveitt's music for the first time, how enchanting it is! ;D I've listened to the Piano Concerto No.1, Hardanger Tunes-Suite No.1, Prillar and the Sun God Symphony, such beautiful, thrilling works! That music sounds haunting, deep and melancholic, but at the same time incredibly magical, floating and evocative; I've really appreciated the orchestration, very expressive, especially the charming use of both the strings and the woodwinds. :)

I'm very curious to listen to more by Tveitt; I would like to listen to the Piano Concerto No.4, but unfortunately there's only the second movement on youtube.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Opus106

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 23, 2012, 10:39:45 AM
I'm very curious to listen to more by Tveitt; I would like to listen to the Piano Concerto No.4, but unfortunately there's only the second movement on youtube.....

Click Here.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Glad to hear you are enjoying Tveitt's music, Ilaria! Wonderful description too!

Thanks, Nav, for posting that performance of the 4th piano concerto here! If you want to continue hearing Hvard Gimse's performances of the concerti, Ilaria, the 4th can be accessed here: http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/4223

Hope you enjoy it, Ilaria. An amazing work!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 23, 2012, 11:02:39 AM
Glad to hear you are enjoying Tveitt's music, Ilaria! Wonderful description too!

Thanks, Nav, for posting that performance of the 4th piano concerto here! If you want to continue hearing Hvard Gimse's performances of the concerti, Ilaria, the 4th can be accessed here: http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/4223

Hope you enjoy it, Ilaria. An amazing work!

Thank you for the link, Daniel! Yes, as a matter of fact, I really hoped to find out other Gimse's performances, I enjoyed his Piano Concerto No.1 very much!

madaboutmahler

His performances of the concerti are absolutely excellent, I agree. The 4th PC really is absolutely amazing, I really hope you enjoy it, Ilaria. And make sure to let us know what you think! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Listened to Piano Concerto No.4, such a thrilling, beautiful, work; absolutely brilliant! I really enjoyed the piano part, perfectly supported by a very well handled, colourful orchestra. I think it's my favourite of Tveitt's pieces I've listened to so far. :)

madaboutmahler

Really glad you enjoyed his 4th piano concerto, Ilaria - I agree with everything you say, it's such an amazing work!

— Ludwig van Beethoven