Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on June 13, 2009, 07:25:36 AM
YouTube has killed off a potential DVD sale ...     ???
I have no doubt the saved money will be put to good use buying another musical object, so the net effect will be nil.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: MN Dave on June 13, 2009, 04:39:45 AM
And I replied. Have another selection for me?

Dave,

In the Handel opera/oratorio arena the choices are burgeoning but probably the cheapest way to go and still get quality goods is Gardiner on Philips as quite a few of his recordings are 'old' enough to be released as reissues. They're not quite two-for-one prices but still better than full price.

I'd probably elect Gardiner's Agrippina as a safe next purchase - it's full of wonderful yet never hammy melodies and, price aside, is another of my favorite Handel operas. Although it's quite lengthy at three discs, but worth it.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DarkAngel

I only have one Handel DVD currently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O29B1YR8yBA

I have not sat down and watched every minute but my initial quick 20 minute chapter scan indicates I will be keeping this performance.
The original purchase was sealed when I saw Piau teamed up with Rousset. Since Serse (Xerxes) was an opera the DVD version usually easier to make a good performance.......one must acclimate to seeing women playing men's role, a gender bending charming visual twist  :)

Coopmv

I have a good number of DVD's of classical concerts.  All the vocal/choral works are either oratorios, passions, mass in b, etc.  Tannhauser by Colin Davis is the only DVD I have on opera.  I am not sure if I want to get ANY other operas on DVD ...

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 13, 2009, 08:41:11 AM
Dave,

In the Handel opera/oratorio arena the choices are burgeoning but probably the cheapest way to go and still get quality goods is Gardiner on Philips as quite a few of his recordings are 'old' enough to be released as reissues. They're not quite two-for-one prices but still better than full price.

I'd probably elect Gardiner's Agrippina as a safe next purchase - it's full of wonderful yet never hammy melodies and, price aside, is another of my favorite Handel operas. Although it's quite lengthy at three discs, but worth it.

Thanks, man.

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2009, 09:21:36 AM
I only have one Handel DVD currently:

Thanks for the you tube - which was good enough to have me checking for more; here's a sort of trailer of bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lNr_HGe5gg

I could be tempted by this.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 11:16:56 AM
Then you need one of these:

It is astounding.
Some youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJYibwHq1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-EzvZs94I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAb5i1XLXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAb5i1XLXk

You have found my weak spot.......that sweet enchantress Danielle de Neise, I could never be bored watching her!
I wish there was more stage props/scenery, basically we just have costumes and a bare stage  ???

This is another case where the DVD is no more expensive than the CD versions.......

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2009, 12:21:26 PM
I wish there was more stage props/scenery, basically we just have costumes and a bare stage  ???

Well, there are some lovely touches with back projection - like the dirigibles that drift across in one of those clips. And there is some tremendous choreography (not just Danielle), in which the people move around the stage in fascinating ways. There is a lot to see.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 12:25:27 PM
Well, there are some lovely touches with back projection - like the dirigibles that drift across in one of those clips. And there is some tremendous choreography (not just Danielle), in which the people move around the stage in fascinating ways. There is a lot to see.

Great I love well done back projection techniques, provides almost unlimited creative potential for the director and should be used much more, I have a DVD copy in my buy basket............

Seems the money I just saved passing up your Theodora DVD before has now been spent regardless.......... ;)

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2009, 12:42:28 PMSeems the money I just saved passing up your Theodora DVD before has now been spent regardless.......... ;)

And I am very close to buying a Serse DVD - so clearly we're dragging each other off down the road to ruin.

knight66

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 12:52:13 PM
And I am very close to buying a Serse DVD - so clearly we're dragging each other off down the road to ruin.

Now didn't I warn you about this?  ::)

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2009, 01:22:10 PM
Now didn't I warn you about this?  ::)

Indeed you did, Mike. I promise that when I finally go down, I'll make it eminently clear to the bankruptcy court that you did your best to stop the rot.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 01:31:06 PM
Indeed you did, Mike. I promise that when I finally go down, I'll make it eminently clear to the bankruptcy court that you did your best to stop the rot.

Do British banks rely on credit score when a customer applies for a loan or a credit card?  If so, a trip to the personal bankruptcy court means that credit score also goes to hell ...

knight66

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 01:31:06 PM

That's fine; as long as it is seen that I did my duty.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: Coopmv on June 13, 2009, 01:58:30 PM
Do British banks rely on credit score when a customer applies for a loan or a credit card?  If so, a trip to the personal bankruptcy court means that credit score also goes to hell ...

Yes you are right, we will have to help him out and stand guarantor for the next major Handel boxes.

Mike

Bulldog

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 13, 2009, 08:41:11 AM
Dave,

Nothing against Gardiner, but I find Robert King's Hyperion sets to be the top of the mountain.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on June 13, 2009, 02:47:22 PM
Nothing against Gardiner, but I find Robert King's Hyperion sets to be the top of the mountain.

So newer is usually better than older?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bulldog on June 13, 2009, 02:47:22 PM

Could be. I only have one from the King series (Judas Maccabaeus) but from what I can tell Gardiner more than holds his own.

Besides, little of the repertoire is duplicated between the two so by default it's difficult to avoid Gardiner (or some other).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian