Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on July 12, 2009, 01:28:21 AM
Yesterday I was listening to record review: they were comparing versions of Handel's Acis and Galatea. Listening along, despite the misgivings of the reviewer, I especially took to the extracts of the Christie version. I decided to order it and discovered that it was more cost effective to order a new compendium box that also has his version of Theodora.

You won't regret choosing that Christie recording of Acis & Galatea, Mike. It's one of my very favourite Handel recordings; Sophie Daneman and Patricia Petibon define their roles right at the outset, and I don't think I could cope with anyone else singing them now. If there exists a perfect recorded performance of anything, for me this comes as close as it gets.

The only problem with buying the box instead of the individual sets is that you don't get a printed libretto (although you can download pdfs from their website, so all is not lost).

The new erato

Yesterday I was listening to record review: they were comparing versions of Handel's Acis and Galatea. Listening along, despite the misgivings of the reviewer, I especially took to the extracts of the Christie version. 

I have that and like it a lot as well (also have Gardiner on LP).

I have the Glyndbourne version on DVD, but no CD version I know of has come close.

Great DVD that manages to illustrate the tragedy in a way that is very hard to achieve on a sound-only medium. Great, great, great singing, particularly from the two female characters I think.

knight66

Thanks both of you...mouth watering. A pity about the libretti, I am not good at downlaoding then sitting at my machine to listen. At least it is in English!

I was watching Christie conduct the Rameau Indes and Julius Caesar yesterday. I am becoming increasingly fond of his approach to this repertoire.

This morning I gave that lovely Amintta e Fillide another listen and how lovely it all is. Elgarian, do you know the Nine German Arias? Not an entirely disimilar soundworld.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on July 12, 2009, 01:56:36 AM
Elgarian, do you know the Nine German Arias? Not an entirely disimilar soundworld.

Yes I do (Carolyn Sampson's lovely versions), though I found initially that the sound of the German language took some getting used to, in that unfamiliar context - and maybe I've still not quite got used to it, in fact.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on July 12, 2009, 01:56:36 AM
This morning I gave that lovely Amintta e Fillide another listen and how lovely it all is.

Yes it's too gorgeous for words. And still following the Arcadian trail, a couple of days ago I ordered one of these:

There are some samples here (click the audio excerpts tab):

http://www.contrastoarmonico.eu/discography/aci-galatea-e-polifemo

These sound pretty marvellous to me, and confirm Gramophone's favourable review of this recording. Dark Angel was recommending Haim's version of this work a short time ago, but listening to these samples, I think I prefer these singers to Haim's Piau and Mingardo. The duet (1st sample) is particularly fine, I think. And this 2CD set on Brilliant Classics is about half the price of the Haim.... I've ordered mine through Amazon marketplace, but I see that PrestoClassical are offering it cheaply here:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/51432

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 02:18:19 AM
Yes I do (Carolyn Sampson's lovely versions), though I found initially that the sound of the German language took some getting used to, in that unfamiliar context - and maybe I've still not quite got used to it, in fact.

And what label is that on?  I showed my version on BIS a few posts ago.  I have Brockes Passion (on LP), which was sung in German ...

Sorry for the underexposed shot as I did not turn on the flash.

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on July 12, 2009, 05:19:41 AM

Sorry for the underexposed shot as I did not turn on the flash.

You're not a flasher?   ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 01:13:24 AM
It's almost the only one on Hyperion's half-price list that I haven't bought ....

One of my longer-term goals is to have at least one version of every Handel's oratorio that has ever been recorded.  I am now wondering if I should include operas as well.  Again, I have no patience for the me-too recording.  I have just added Alan Curtis to my list of Handel's conductors (choral works only) which now includes Marriner, Richter, Mackerras, Harnoncourt, Hogwood, Gardiner, Pinnock, Christe, King, Curtis and Minkowski.  As of now, Minkowski is a TBD.  As such, I do not know if I would add more of his recordings to my collection ...

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on July 12, 2009, 05:29:09 AM
You're not a flasher?   ;D

And I am too lazy to re-take the shot ...    ;D

Coopmv

Now playing this set.  This will be a make-or-break for Minkowski in my Handel collection.  So far, he has not impressed me more than the trio of Hogwood, Gardiner and Pinnock ...

Elgarian

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on July 12, 2009, 05:31:59 AM
One of my longer-term goals is to have at least one version of every Handel's oratorio that has ever been recorded.  I am now wondering if I should include operas as well.

Well, you know what we'll all say! Go for it!

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 07:51:48 AM
Well, you know what we'll all say! Go for it!

I think I am actually pretty close to that goal between my LP and CD collections ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 07:47:55 AM
Here you go, Coop. It's on Hyperion:

Thanks Elgarian.  Carolyn Sampson is a known quantity to me and I will put this CD on my shopping list ...    ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Coopmv on July 12, 2009, 06:14:55 AM
Now playing this set.  This will be a make-or-break for Minkowski in my Handel collection.  So far, he has not impressed me more than the trio of Hogwood, Gardiner and Pinnock ...

I am enjoying this set.  So far, this has been a much better recording than the Italian Cantatas.

DarkAngel

and

Joyce DiDonato
We discussed the two Cds shown above previously here, Elgarian was very smitten with the duets CD by our beloved baroque diva robots. Indeed it is very fine and I think it is a step up from the Hyperion duets also mentioned here, Curtis orchestral work is all you could ask for, DiDonato and Ciofi are a great duet with individually fine voices and when blended or in dialog with each other  are very complimentary.

Actually I like the solo DiDonato "furore" aria collection even better, a collection of mad scences from Handel opera that features the perils of love as a theme........nothing more passionate or angry than a jilted lover  
The duet structure is by design going to be less a showcase of solo vocal talent, so here DiDonato is given free flight and soars where eagles dare, exciting dramatic powerful, Rousset & Les Talons deliver the orchestral goods......me likey  ;D

Now for the bad news
I did not like the Piau/Mingardo duet CD, something just does not quite work here, very earthbound performances that never take flight, the song selection does not work well or display the singers considerable talents........a sell for me
Sandrine how could you let your biggest fan down like this  :(

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 02:37:54 AM
Yes it's too gorgeous for words. And still following the Arcadian trail, a couple of days ago I ordered one of these:

There are some samples here (click the audio excerpts tab):

http://www.contrastoarmonico.eu/discography/aci-galatea-e-polifemo

These sound pretty marvellous to me, and confirm Gramophone's favourable review of this recording.

Be interesting if you share my findings............
that the early "aci, galatea-e-polifemo" italian cantata version is actually preferable to later reworking into english language two act opera "Acis and Galatea"  

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 12, 2009, 07:47:55 AM
Here you go, Coop. It's on Hyperion:

Is Hyperion involved in some licensing to music club in much the same way like DG allows some of its CD's to be released under BMG for the latter's music club members?  I noticed an Amazon MarketPlace member advertised this CD at a pretty low price and identified the CD as a club disc ...