Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

The dam has burst............flood of new baroque diva Cds just released

The Karina Gauvin CD is very interesting, an Italian composer named Nicola Porpora active in early/mid 1700s (with Handel and Vivaldi) that has 48 operas, never heard of him but these samples sound great........amazing baroque treasures surfacing recently!

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on September 29, 2009, 02:09:08 PM
The dam has burst............flood of new baroque diva Cds just released

The Karina Gauvin CD is very interesting, an Italian composer named Nicola Porpora active in early/mid 1700s (with Handel and Vivaldi) that has 48 operas, never heard of him but these samples sound great........amazing baroque treasures surfacing recently!

I have the following CD's by Karina Gauvin ...

The new erato

Quote from: DarkAngel on September 29, 2009, 02:09:08 PM

Handels main competitor for a period in London and one of the main reasons Handels first (IIRC) opera company went belly up. There's also a recent cantata CD on Hyperion that you might want to investigate.

The new erato

Yes, I got mine at half price on "Please somebody buy me". Lucky me!

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on September 30, 2009, 01:07:06 AM

Details here:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67621&f=porpora

Some interesting background.......
Nicola Porpora taught many great singers including Farinelli, also young Joseph Haydn studied music under Porpora........quite a resume of influence!
Lived to very old age of 82, hope we see more of his work in the future

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porpora

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on September 29, 2009, 10:09:03 PM
Handels main competitor for a period in London and one of the main reasons Handels first (IIRC) opera company went belly up. There's also a recent cantata CD on Hyperion that you might want to investigate.

Just as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart had the rivalry with Antonio Salieri, Handel also had a rival in Nicola Porpora.  But Handel was probably the eventual victor ...

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on September 30, 2009, 08:43:23 AM
Lucky we:)
Happy, happy, happy we was how Handel expressed it (Acis and galatea).

Elgarian

Quote from: erato on October 01, 2009, 12:56:52 AM
Happy, happy, happy we was how Handel expressed it (Acis and galatea).

Yes indeed - we're thinking in unison! (After I made my previous post, I very nearly went back and added the quote myself, but got distracted by something else.)

DavidW

Well I finally had time to watch that bd of Orlando and man sublime music!  Excellent acting, strange but intoxicating plot, just like the music.  It was WONDERFUL!! :) :) :)

I need to watch more operas, especially written by Handel. 8)

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidW on October 03, 2009, 06:36:58 PM

In short, you need:

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Well I finally had time to watch that bd of Orlando and man sublime music!  Excellent acting, strange but intoxicating plot, just like the music.  It was WONDERFUL!! :) :) :)

8)  I have a decent sized collection of classical concerts on DVD but do not have any operas yet.  I think I will start with Handel operas.  Since I already have most of the recorded Handel's operas on CD. it is time to get some on DVD.

DavidW

DarkAngel

Very exciting times now for baroque opera, we have wonderful imaginative productions that actually use real acting and choreographed dance along with singing.......not the wooden stautue / costumed robot style of stand and deliver the aria old boring routine, no need to watch these as the visuals would actually be a complete let down compared to the exciting music. If you listen to much of Handels music it suggests movement and dance elements which are now being utilized..........

When you are ready for the ultimate Handel DVD experience do what must be done...........Cesare!

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on October 03, 2009, 09:07:25 PM
In short, you need:

Was the Sarah Connolly in this Handel's opera the same as this one?  They are very different repertoire ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on October 04, 2009, 11:14:41 AM
Was the Sarah Connolly in this Handel's opera the same as this one?  They are very different repertoire ...

Yes. She will astonish you.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on October 04, 2009, 12:15:32 PM
Yes. She will astonish you.

I do not have any of her recordings yet.  Any recommendation besides this DVD?