Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Well I received my box sets yesterday, no listening yet, I was too tired and busy for anything but Bach cantatas.  But once I've done my horrible work for the day (writing tests) I'll enjoy either some Handel or watch Don Giovanni.  Or both, if the tests don't take too long. :)

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on October 10, 2009, 04:59:29 AM
I have my misgivings for these non-historical "transposition" in the staging of an opera.

I have more than misgivings. I need to be dragged towards them, kicking and screaming. Yet even so, the Giulio Cesare is so brilliant as to sweep away all my prejudice (almost uniquely).

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on October 10, 2009, 09:49:40 AM
I have more than misgivings. I need to be dragged towards them, kicking and screaming. Yet even so, the Giulio Cesare is so brilliant as to sweep away all my prejudice (almost uniquely).

I have to decide if I want to buy the DVD.  I have my reservations ...

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on October 10, 2009, 12:14:44 PM
I have to decide if I want to buy the DVD.  I have my reservations ...

Consider joining Netflix DVD rental service.......very large selection of recent opera DVDs
Online website lets you pick DVD and arrives in mail 1-2 days later (no booklets just DVD discs), keep as long as you like, then return mail
in supplied mailer and they will ship out next DVD in your list.

Great service to screen opera DVDs as well as just watch regular movies, they have large selection of
latest blue ray DVDs also..........

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 11, 2009, 06:33:30 AM
Consider joining Netflix DVD rental service.......very large selection of recent opera DVDs
Online website lets you pick DVD and arrives in mail 1-2 days later (no booklets just DVD discs), keep as long as you like, then return mail
in supplied mailer and they will ship out next DVD in your list.

Great service to screen opera DVDs as well as just watch regular movies, they have large selection of
latest blue ray DVDs also..........

DA,  Haven't noticed Elgarian online for a while ...

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on November 01, 2009, 03:59:45 AM

Perhaps he is on "holiday" over in UK or taking long strolls along river bank.......

Also he may have taken a 2nd job to pay for all his recent purchases at this forum  >:D

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 01, 2009, 04:45:49 AM
Perhaps he is on "holiday" over in UK or taking long strolls along river bank.......

Also he may have taken a 2nd job to pay for all his recent purchases at this forum  >:D

We should get Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios 2.0 going ...    0:)

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on November 01, 2009, 03:59:45 AM

He's been walking the Malvern Hills and attending the English Touring Opera Handel festival: Alcina 3 stars; Ariodante 4/5 stars (I wept buckets during Anne Marie Gibbons's performance of 'Scherza infida' which was so utterly desolate and so utterly beautiful at the same time).

I'm back home now but don't want to be. I want to be still there, living in a cottage with a view across fields and woods that haven't changed significantly since Elgar cycled among them; listening to the wind in the trees; walking among the hills; and all the while anticipating the thrill of a Handel opera in the evening.

So while I've been away, have you guys come up with any new ways to plummet into Handelian bankcruptcy?

DarkAngel

I think I have almost spent enough money to be caught up with Handel opera........next on the list
is probably the newest Curtis/Archiv release:

Coop may have already purchased this.........

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 01:00:08 PM
I think I have almost spent enough money to be caught up with Handel opera........next on the list
is probably the newest Curtis/Archiv release:

Coop may have already purchased this.........

You're a long way ahead of me (though not, I hope, closer to the cliff edge). I was listening to some of those cantatas from the Glossa series today. My goodness, but they are unspeakably lovely. Shouldn't there be another release from that series before too long?

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on November 03, 2009, 01:19:11 PM
You're a long way ahead of me (though not, I hope, closer to the cliff edge). I was listening to some of those cantatas from the Glossa series today. My goodness, but they are unspeakably lovely. Shouldn't there be another release from that series before too long?

You have a good point there..........
Why worry about a very obscure opera like Ezio when I should be collecting the early italian cantatas on Glossa label, I shall begin the task very soon, a very costly task that will nick my wallet nicely

Coop............surely has that Ezio opera set since his beloved Karina Gauvin is featured

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 04:07:16 PM
You have a good point there..........
Why worry about a very obscure opera like Ezio when I should be collecting the early italian cantatas on Glossa label, I shall begin the task very soon, a very costly task that will nick my wallet nicely

Coop............surely has that Ezio opera set since his beloved Karina Gauvin is featured

Before the end of the year for sure.  I have been busy loading up on early music.  Handel Ezio has been on my shopping list and Karina Gauvin is indeed a lovely woman ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 03, 2009, 01:19:11 PM

Elgarian,  I probably missed something when I was loading up on Glossa CD's 2 months ago.  Which Glossa CD are you referring to?

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on November 03, 2009, 04:56:18 PM
Elgarian,  I probably missed something when I was loading up on Glossa CD's 2 months ago.  Which Glossa CD are you referring to?

There are currently 5 CDs of the italian cantatas on Glossa label, this is volume I with 4 cantatas, all CDs share the same look.
I believe there are 30+ italian cantatas so more volumes to come........

After we buy them all at full price of course then the budget boxset will be released   ::)

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 06:28:15 PM
There are currently 5 CDs of the italian cantatas on Glossa label, this is volume I with 4 cantatas, all CDs share the same look.

Are these all relatively new recordings?

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on November 03, 2009, 06:30:30 PM
Are these all relatively new recordings?

Indeed they are, volume I was just released 7/2006........excellent sound of course

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 06:33:00 PM
Indeed they are, volume I was just released 7/2006........excellent sound of course

I bet the soloists are probably no household names either.  Perhaps that is what is needed to make these recordings refreshing ...

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 06:28:15 PM

Yes, they're the ones. I bought all 5 in a bargain-priced deal somewhere - at PrestoClassical I think - a few months ago. They're among my most treasured Handel recordings. There's something about the intimacy of them; and they come up so fresh and light - full of good tunes, but by no means devoid of drama and contrast. And also, each cantata is digestible within a reasonable time, unlike an opera which requires a lot more commitment of time. So a cantata can be squeezed easily into little gaps in the day, as it were. The presentation of these Glossa sets is distinctively attractive too - a fold-out package with booklet 'built-in'. If you don't have any of these, Coop, then you have a great treat in store.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 04, 2009, 06:33:28 AM
Yes, they're the ones. I bought all 5 in a bargain-priced deal somewhere - at PrestoClassical I think - a few months ago. They're among my most treasured Handel recordings. There's something about the intimacy of them; and they come up so fresh and light - full of good tunes, but by no means devoid of drama and contrast. And also, each cantata is digestible within a reasonable time, unlike an opera which requires a lot more commitment of time. So a cantata can be squeezed easily into little gaps in the day, as it were. The presentation of these Glossa sets is distinctively attractive too - a fold-out package with booklet 'built-in'. If you don't have any of these, Coop, then you have a great treat in store.

I just loaded up on many Glossa CD's at the last MDT sales but somehow missed these?  At any rate, I was focusing on the likes of Dufay, etc - the early music.

The new erato

And vol 6 is on the release list for next month. I've been proclaiming the qualities of this series loudly - and will buy with confidence (but will perhaps wait for the next Gliossa promotion). Treasures indeed!