Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: erato on November 04, 2009, 09:54:20 PM
And vol 6 is on the release list for next month.
Excellent news.

QuoteI've been proclaiming the qualities of this series loudly

And with success, too. I think my introduction to them was almost entirely thanks to you.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Elgarian on November 05, 2009, 02:40:42 AM
Excellent news.

And with success, too. I think my introduction to them was almost entirely thanks to you.

I have two Glossa volumes ordered.........

My research from WIKI music shows around 100 cantatas HWV 77-177 most of which composed 1707-1710, so there is ample material
to continue the series

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 05, 2009, 07:24:23 AM

Bet you a million pounds (dollars?) that you'll love them.

The new erato

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 05, 2009, 07:24:23 AM

My research from WIKI music shows around 100 cantatas HWV 77-177 most of which composed 1707-1710, so there is ample material
to continue the series

They are doing only those with instrumental accompagniement besides the basso continuo, estimated AFAIK at 10 discs.

Vol 6: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002TW37PM/worldtwitch06

DarkAngel

Quote from: erato on November 05, 2009, 08:58:01 AM
They are doing only those with instrumental accompagniement besides the basso continuo, estimated AFAIK at 10 discs.

Vol 6: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002TW37PM/worldtwitch06

I skipped over Glossa volume III because instead of two sopranos they use soprano/bass.........
Does this change in a winning formula make results less appealing?

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 03, 2009, 06:28:15 PM
There are currently 5 CDs of the italian cantatas on Glossa label, this is volume I with 4 cantatas, all CDs share the same look.
I believe there are 30+ italian cantatas so more volumes to come........

After we buy them all at full price of course then the budget boxset will be released   ::)

Instant gratification always ends up hurting your wallet ...    ;D

Elgarian

NOW HEAR THIS!

Buy from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handel-Italian-Cantatas-George-Frederick/dp/B00009W3RL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1257521174&sr=8-1

Buy from Amazon USA: http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Italian-Cantatas-George-Frederick/dp/B0000D1FCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1257521218&sr=1-2

I was browsing through Amazon a couple of days ago and stumbled across this 2CD set of Handel cantatas, apparently discontinued, on the Brilliant label. Copies are available on Amazon marketplace for absurd sums - I bought mine for 99 pence, which was less than the cost of postage; other copies are still available for about £1. On Amazon USA they seem to cost a bit more - a few dollars; but still very, very cheap.

I've just spent my lunch listening to the first CD of the set (about 49 pence-worth), and it is wonderful. Maria Zadori sings with a beguiling, delicate, butterfly-like vibrato - I'm reminded of Natalie Dessay at her shimmering best, quite often. The recordings were made in 1995, and sound excellent to these ears, and on my system. There are 6 cantatas: HWV 82, 97, 99, 110, 142, 150. If you have the 5 Glossa discs then you'll be duplicating 3 cantatas, but it certainly doesn't matter because Zadori is so delectable to listen to that you'll want to hear her take on these. Also, if you have the lovely (and cheap) Darlow discs on Helios, you'll duplicate HWV 82. But heck, where else are you going to get over two hours of Handel Italian cantatas of this quality for £1 (or a few dollars, in the USA)? My advice - get one now, while they're still up for grabs.

Buy first; think later.

Afterthought:

There's a review of this set on MusicWeb, here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2003/Jun03/Handel_Italian_Brilliant.htm

It calls into question the historical authenticity of the performance - personally, I don't care. Elsewhere I've read comments about a tendency to shrillness in Zadori's voice. I see why that might be said, but it doesn't trouble me in any way. I think such 'shrillness' is my 'lightness'.

I also forgot to mention that the set comes with a booklet containing all the words - in Italian, but with no translation. There are quite detailed notes, but they're full of typos and translational awkwardnesses.

Harry

Maria Zadori is a wonderful soprano, and I did not notice any shrillness in this recording.
I have almost 90% of her recordings.

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 05, 2009, 11:17:25 AM
I skipped over Glossa volume III because instead of two sopranos they use soprano/bass.........
Does this change in a winning formula make results less appealing?

Don't worry unduly, DA. Only one of the cantatas, HWV165 ('Spande ancor a mio dispetto') has a bass soloist, and it makes up only 8 minutes in total. The other three cantatas are for soprano soloist (Raffaella Milanesi).

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 06, 2009, 06:48:21 AM
NOW HEAR THIS!

Now hear this -- NHT is back
      ;D   NHT is an American speaker manufacturer ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 06, 2009, 07:21:35 AM
Don't worry unduly, DA. Only one of the cantatas, HWV165 ('Spande ancor a mio dispetto') has a bass soloist, and it makes up only 8 minutes in total. The other three cantatas are for soprano soloist (Raffaella Milanesi).

Perhaps Glossa will offer a mega box on all Handel Italian Cantatas in a few years?  Hopefully, it will be before 2012 ...     ;D

Coopmv

Elgarian & DA:

Just ordered this set - a 2009 recording from an Amazon MP vendor this evening.  The price was just too good to pass up.  This is my second version of Handel Alcina ...

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Coopmv

Quote from: rubio on November 14, 2009, 08:09:13 AM
Has anybody here heard Emma Kirkby in Italian Cantatas? Can it be recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Cantatas-Australia-George-Frederick/dp/B000AL8ZEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258218170&sr=1-4

I have had this CD for over 20 years.  It is the gold standard for these works.  The CD trounced the more recent CD by Minkowski and Kozena.  I have both.

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on November 14, 2009, 10:23:49 AM
I have had this CD for over 20 years.  It is the gold standard for these works.  The CD trounced the more recent CD by Minkowski and Kozena.  I have both.

Very much agreed!

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on November 08, 2009, 06:51:21 PM
Elgarian & DA:

Just ordered this set - a 2009 recording from an Amazon MP vendor this evening.  The price was just too good to pass up.  This is my second version of Handel Alcina ...

Very nice...........I think you will notice that Curtis newest work for Archiv label is more up tempo compared to older works in Virgin boxset, and singers are more adventureous with ornamenting the repeated section of arias

DarkAngel

Quote from: rubio on November 14, 2009, 08:09:13 AM
Has anybody here heard Emma Kirkby in Italian Cantatas? Can it be recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Cantatas-Australia-George-Frederick/dp/B000AL8ZEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258218170&sr=1-4

Yes quite good...........but until recently there was little to compete with it so one might rightfully say it set the standard, recently there are new players that demand to be heard!

Scroll back to prior page where we were discussing just such a project for Glossa label, and there are a few more misc releases also for Virgin label

Elgarian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 14, 2009, 11:42:39 AM
Yes quite good...........but until recently there was little to compete with it so one might rightfully say it set the standard, recently there are new players that demand to be heard!

Scroll back to prior page where we were discussing just such a project for Glossa label, and there are a few more misc releases also for Virgin label

Yes, these are wise words from DA. The Glossa series definitely needs to be considered as competition for the Kirkby disc, as do the two cheap Darlow discs on Hyperion:

(Not to mention the incredibly cheap 2CD set I've been raving about in post #706 earlier in this thread.)

I don't have the Emma Kirkby disc that's under discussion here, though I do have the set of cantatas she recorded with London Baroque:

This is so much a matter of personal preference, but I find Emma Kirkby's singing in these cantatas less attractive on the whole, and acquiring more wouldn't be a high priority (though I wouldn't by any means rule it out). I suspect I'm not critical enough - I do tend to love most of what I hear in this area - though I agree with others above that the Kozena/Minkowski disc is a terrible disappointment (particularly since Kozena at her best is nothing less than stupendous).

rubio

Thank you all for the comments! I take them into consideration.  I have the Glossa series, and I enjoy these discs a lot.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Elgarian

Quote from: rubio on November 14, 2009, 01:46:22 PM
I have the Glossa series, and I enjoy these discs a lot.

Ah, that could be a significant pointer. That series (but not forgetting the old Hyperion Darlow discs) sets the benchmark, for me.