Getting at Handel's operas and oratorios

Started by Tancata, July 10, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 14, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
Yes, these are wise words from DA. The Glossa series definitely needs to be considered as competition for the Kirkby disc, as do the two cheap Darlow discs on Hyperion:

(Not to mention the incredibly cheap 2CD set I've been raving about in post #706 earlier in this thread.)

I don't have the Emma Kirkby disc that's under discussion here, though I do have the set of cantatas she recorded with London Baroque:

This is so much a matter of personal preference, but I find Emma Kirkby's singing in these cantatas less attractive on the whole, and acquiring more wouldn't be a high priority (though I wouldn't by any means rule it out). I suspect I'm not critical enough - I do tend to love most of what I hear in this area - though I agree with others above that the Kozena/Minkowski disc is a terrible disappointment (particularly since Kozena at her best is nothing less than stupendous).

I will check out the Glossa series at some point ...

Guido

A wild and fabulous version of "Endless Pleasure" by Renee Fleming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCnqoxmyCE

Her studio recording is nowhere this unbuttoned, but I think this is just fantastic! 0:55 to 1:02 "Useless though his 'thunder' lies" is just so so good - makes me wish I was I woman so that I could sing this aria!!!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

knight66

I did enjoy it and thought it extremely short for a Handel aria. Here is another version almost twice as long. Some blank time at the start and a choral section...but also a slightly more sedate and measured take on it. I think it more effective. Incidentally, I can understand every word Battle sings, not so with Fleming, though I enjoyed her singing and evident pleasure at what she was singing.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Guido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSHu6u_xDRI

Here's the link that I assume knight forgot to paste into text! Thanks for this - a very nice version to be sure, lovely singing but I still like Fleming's sexyness and cheekyness and as you say her unbridled joy is infectious even if the diction suffers as a result of the increased tempo. Again it's 0:55 to 1:02 that sells it for me!!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 28, 2009, 03:20:55 PM

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67361/2&f=vivaldi

This turned up last week in Hyperion's Bottom Ten sale and I snapped it up. It's a delight. The performances are lovely (with Carolyn Sampson you can't go wrong ...

Not so fast Elgarian with your unqualified praise for Carolyn Sampson even as I am a semi-Anglophile.  I was somewhat disappointed with her performance on this CD I bought about a month ago ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on November 28, 2009, 04:11:39 PM
I was somewhat disappointed with her performance on this CD I bought about a month ago ...

My own reservations about that disc concern the material, not the performer, Coop. For me, there's a lightness and airiness about her singing that seems exquisitely musical. But we all have our different preferences.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 29, 2009, 12:50:59 AM
My own reservations about that disc concern the material, not the performer, Coop. For me, there's a lightness and airiness about her singing that seems exquisitely musical. But we all have our different preferences.

I bought this CD just to compare it with a much older CD on BIS and I think the BIS CD is better.  I have heard criticism of her German before and these Handel arias were written in German ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on November 29, 2009, 03:42:24 AM
these Handel arias were written in German ...

Yes, that's the source of my reservations about them. I don't think I could say whether it was her slightly dodgy German, or the sound of the German per se, that was the cause. However, I have absolutely no such reservations about her Vivaldi in the disc I was talking about earlier.*

*If anyone is confused at this point ('what Vivaldi?'), it's because this conversation has been transferred here from the Vivaldi thread, here (see #72):

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13065.60.html

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on November 29, 2009, 06:41:41 AM
Yes, that's the source of my reservations about them. I don't think I could say whether it was her slightly dodgy German, or the sound of the German per se, that was the cause. However, I have absolutely no such reservations about her Vivaldi in the disc I was talking about earlier.

I bet it is just the German factor.  Overall, I am not that familiar with her.

Elgarian

I've just transferred a couple of Handel cantatas into my cheap mp3 player so I can listen to them when I ride my bike. It's a while since I last listened to this 2CD set (I played it over and over when I first bought it, as reported in #706 of this thread).

It's been good having a decent gap, because they come up so fresh and new on this revisiting, and I can only endorse what I said back then. These 2 CDs are an incredible bargain, and the singing of Maria Zadori is just about the most enchanting I've ever heard in this area. Her performance of the haunting Notte placida e cheta goes beyond exquisite. The bad news is that the set seems to be drifting out of print, and now can only be found among a few Marketplace sellers on Amazon uk. If you're a Handel cantata fan (or even if you're not but think you might be), get one while you still can. I can't recommend it highly enough.

DarkAngel

Elgarian
First new post here in 7 months........

Brings back memories, this thread cost me a small fortune  ???

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 02, 2010, 04:38:07 PM
Elgarian
First new post here in 7 months........

Brings back memories, this thread cost me a small fortune  ???

You meant you bought all 6 volumes of these Italian Cantatas.  I did as well but was not too impressed with half of them ...

The version by Christopher Hogwood with AAM and Emma Kirkby still beats whatever volume that has the same works ...

Coopmv

This set should be in my collection by end of this month ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on July 02, 2010, 07:10:13 PM
You meant you bought all 6 volumes of these Italian Cantatas.

I bought them all too, and have ordered the 7th (Apollo e Dafne), which I read somewhere will be the last in the series. I enjoy all those Glossa collections, and would have happily gone on buying any more there might have been. Even so, my favourite is the absurdly cheap 2CD Maria Zadori set on Brilliant Classics I mentioned above.

DarkAngel

next

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 03, 2010, 12:38:09 AM
I bought them all too, and have ordered the 7th (Apollo e Dafne), which I read somewhere will be the last in the series. I enjoy all those Glossa collections, and would have happily gone on buying any more there might have been. Even so, my favourite is the absurdly cheap 2CD Maria Zadori set on Brilliant Classics I mentioned above.

So Vol. 7 is now available.  I may still grab it to complete the full volume.  I never like to have one version of any work.  I also do not know anything about the Maria Zadori BC set. 

Coopmv

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on July 03, 2010, 10:14:37 AM
I also do not know anything about the Maria Zadori BC set.
Yes you do:
1. It's so cheap at Amazon uk marketplace that there's no point in not having it, and there seems to be only one left at the rock bottom price.
2. It's marvellous. Zadori's singing is irresistible. You might be interested in Harry's comment about her in 2007: "Maria Zadori was a absolute favourite soprano for me, in fact as good as Emma Kirkby is, and even better, dare I admit it."
3. All the signs suggest it will soon be unavailable.

Elgarian

Just put in an order for the new Curtis recording:

Seems good value (£16 for 3CDs at Amazon uk) and PrestoClassical have assembled some nice comments about it here:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/advsearch.php?composer=handel&work=berenice&performer=curtis&medium=all&label=&cat=

Has anyone heard it?