J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

There is a Polish organist, who is not on the list. His name starts with G.
How does Margaret Phillips sound like?

JBS

Quote from: premont on June 03, 2023, 03:08:27 PMCalm down, I have them all (and more to) except the two sets I have opted out (Guillou and Tillmanns).

BTW I think Stockmeier's set is good indeed. As Mandryka writes very relaxing. It's well worth $50.

But that's my point. My musical focus is not on organ works in the way yours is. Yet I've accumulated 10 sets.

I remember you not liking Gillou: but what was your problem with Tillmanns?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: premont on June 03, 2023, 03:30:34 PMHere from Amazon.de Market Place the original release of all 20 CDs for less than 8 Euros. I don't know if they deliver overseas though:

https://www.amazon.de/Das-Orgelwerk-CD-Set-Wolfgang-Stockmeier/dp/B000025U7V

It says US delivery is available from AmazonDE itself, but for about €26 including shipping.

ETA and that is the lowest price. Did someone grab a copy since you posted?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

prémont

Quote from: JBS on June 03, 2023, 03:56:27 PMBut that's my point. My musical focus is not on organ works in the way yours is. Yet I've accumulated 10 sets.

I remember you not liking Gillou: but what was your problem with Tillmanns?

Organ music isn't but one of my foci.

My dislike for Guillou is caused by his extremely eccentric playing.
My dislike for Tillmanns is caused by the fact that I feel that he hasn't immersed himself sufficiently into the spiritual facet of the music. His playing is moderately technically competent and sound often as sight-reading.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 03, 2023, 03:32:48 PMThere is a Polish organist, who is not on the list. His name starts with G.

There was also a russian organist whose name I also have forgotten. I think they are difficult to get hold of now. I listened to a number of clips from both and the playing stroke me as representing a demonstrative craftmanship without soul. Add to this some monstrous generic organs.

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 03, 2023, 03:32:48 PMHow does Margaret Phillips sound like?

She is competent, informed, and the organs are interesting and well recorded. Not the most inspired playing but much better than Tillmanns'. However not a must have.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: JBS on June 03, 2023, 04:00:00 PMIt says US delivery is available from AmazonDE itself, but for about €26 including shipping.

ETA and that is the lowest price. Did someone grab a copy since you posted?

Not as far as I can see.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

@premont - did you hear Stockmeier's AoF?

(Very much enjoying his Leipzig Chorales this morning.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 04, 2023, 03:14:55 AM@premont - did you hear Stockmeier's AoF?

This one?

Bach:
Die Kunst der Fuge BWV 1080
Wolfgang Stockmeier (Organ)
Psallite
2-LP

No, I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν