Chopin's mazurkas

Started by jwinter, August 02, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: George on September 23, 2019, 03:53:12 PM
Can everyone who listed Rubinstein as a favorite please indicate which of his three sets is your favorite?

Thanks!

I like "early"* Rubinstein best, his last recording the least.
But his approach over time was pretty consistent in the Mazurkas IMO.

*he was already in his forties, I believe

Q

j winter

Quote from: Brian on September 23, 2019, 04:12:40 PM
Well, jwinter said the last one...

Correct :) 

Though I may not have given the others enough of a listen to make a fair comparison.... I've loved the stereo set for years...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mandryka

Another strange experience with my "new" amp, a Radford STA 25. I bought this recording when it came out nearly 10 years ago, I've never enjoyed it, but now, with the new amp, it sounds like poetical music.

More corroboration that the playback equipment matters as much to appraisal of the performance as the instrument matters to the performance itself.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Listening to op 30 here, what's most striking is the strong kick to the rhythm. Presumably Janusz Olejniczak knows what these things would sound like as dances and has tried to integrate that into the performance. But they were never dances, he knows that, and indeed were widely criticised when they appeared for deviating from the dance models.

What the kick does is make the music sound exotic. Poland is a bit exotic I suppose, neither European nor Slav, or may both European and Slav.

But the best thing is Olejniczak's piano, and it's hard for me to go back to a bland modern instrument after this. I keep thinking of David Tudor's comment that all a modern piano has is twelve notes and they're all boring. How much more rich in overtones Olejniczak's piano is.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2019, 07:04:28 AM

More corroboration that the playback equipment matters as much to appraisal of the performance as the instrument matters to the performance itself.

I'm having a blast going through old piano and chamber music recordings with the ESL57s. Never discount what a good bit of hifi can do for performance enjoyment!

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on March 20, 2020, 01:11:46 PM
I'm having a blast going through old piano and chamber music recordings with the ESL57s. Never discount what a good bit of hifi can do for performance enjoyment!

What amp?

Florestan

Ashkenazy's take on them is really something else. Different than any other I've heard. Outstanding. Imo, the best complete set ever recorded.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 21, 2020, 06:39:17 AM
Ashkenazy's take on them is really something else. Different than any other I've heard. Outstanding. Imo, the best complete set ever recorded.

Noted, I shall try and get my hands on it then. I was going to get the complete set of all Chopin's piano music by Ashkenazy, but have decided against it.

I like Idil Biret, and Artur Rubinstein. Haven't heard a whole lot of recordings of the Mazurkas outside of pianists who record 2 or 3 of them to round out their Chopin recital discs.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 07:02:02 AM
I was going to get the complete set of all Chopin's piano music by Ashkenazy, but have decided against it.

Why? By general consensus it's one of, if not THE, most consistently good complete sets.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on March 21, 2020, 07:47:51 AM
Why? By general consensus it's one of, if not THE, most consistently good complete sets.
I think a person who has the complete Rubinstein is set, there, as Rubinstein has a very similar or even greater reputation (and is my favorite in many works, though not all).

Mandryka

Brian

Quote from: George on March 21, 2020, 08:44:17 AM
Hey Brian,

To me, there are too many flaws in the Rubinstein set. First features his stereo recordings, which I don't like nearly as much as his monos. Also, his set is far from complete, while Ashkenazy's comes close. Ashkenazy also has him beat for sound.   
Ah, I have the Rubinstein 140 CD Big Box which includes both almost-complete cycles and third, earlier recordings of a lot of things, too. So I didn't realize there was a specific smaller set y'all were discussing.

For completism I've got the Garrick Ohlsson set on Hyperion, which is really good for filling in gaps (great cycle of the songs, for instance).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 21, 2020, 07:47:51 AM

It's a little out of my budget for now, especially as my income just might be at risk of grinding to a halt sometime soon. Plus, I think I'd rather get the Rubinstein Chopin Collection, at least for the time being.

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
It's a little out of my budget for now, especially as my income just might be at risk of grinding to a halt sometime soon. Plus, I think I'd rather get the Rubinstein Chopin Collection, at least for the time being.

I agree with George, that Rubinstein's mono mazurkas are better.

As far as complete sets, are you aware of this
[asin]B00N29UQZA[/asin]

Although as far as actually buying anything, I am in the same boat.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on March 21, 2020, 11:29:22 AM
I agree with George, that Rubinstein's mono mazurkas are better.

As far as complete sets, are you aware of this
[asin]B00N29UQZA[/asin]

Although as far as actually buying anything, I am in the same boat.

No, never heard of the pianist. Italian, I take it, younger-ish...? How would you describe his playing?

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 11:34:35 AM
No, never heard of the pianist. Italian, I take it, younger-ish...? How would you describe his playing?

Middle aged now, I believe...
Playing is consistently good.  I found him through Todd.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on March 21, 2020, 11:36:44 AM
Middle aged now, I believe...
Playing is consistently good.  I found him through Todd.

Younger than Ashkenazy or Rubinstein, that is  :D

Cool, I will have to sample some of his playing.

Brian

De Maria favors beauty of sound - he's a romantic. I found him through Todd too and particularly like this pianist's incredible recital of three sonatas by Muzio Clementi, which he plays with such style and grace that you momentarily think Clementi must surely be as good as Mozart or Haydn. Alas...not so.

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on March 20, 2020, 10:35:41 AM

Listening to op 30 here, what's most striking is the strong kick to the rhythm. Presumably Janusz Olejniczak knows what these things would sound like as dances and has tried to integrate that into the performance. But they were never dances, he knows that, and indeed were widely criticised when they appeared for deviating from the dance models.

What the kick does is make the music sound exotic. Poland is a bit exotic I suppose, neither European nor Slav, or may both European and Slav.

But the best thing is Olejniczak's piano, and it's hard for me to go back to a bland modern instrument after this. I keep thinking of David Tudor's comment that all a modern piano has is twelve notes and they're all boring. How much more rich in overtones Olejniczak's piano is.

That is an incredible sounding instrument, vibrant ringing tone, you can even hear some brief mechanical noises from it too which adds to the charm. It's an 1849 Erard, this might be it below.

His interpretations on Op. 30 are very fine as well, I'm in agreement with what you wrote. BTW the least dance like performances I've ever heard in the Mazurkas were by Andrzej Wasowski, I love those interpretations.

Really looking forward to hearing the rest, pretty sure I'll be ordering it.

I next went to Nelson Goerner from that period instrument series and straight into Ballade 2 the Pleyel doesn't sound as interesting as the Erard. Worse there is some hideous doppler type of effect (like Universal watermark, but higher in level) in the recording that makes it hard to gauge his interpretation.

Also listened to a few Preludes from Pietro de Maria, I too heard about him from Todd (Italian Invasion thread?), will write some more later.