Author Topic: Chopin's mazurkas  (Read 51346 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Chopin's mazurkas
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
Unfortunately, listening every mazurka one after the other bores me a lot I must admit ...

In fact I can listen to a lot of mazurkas, I can’t explain why, and I remember how surprised I was that they engaged me so much when it happened for the first time (in my car, listening to the first Rubinstein recording!)

I can’t listen to much more than one nocturne at a time though.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2021, 05:31:10 AM »
I can listen to nothing but Chopin all day long...  :D
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline mabuse

« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2021, 10:19:16 AM »
I can listen to nothing but Chopin all day long...  :D

But how many mazurkas or nocturnes in a row, Florestan?

I love Chopin but, personally, after 10 minutes listening to the mazurkas I start to lose patience ... I find it more pleasant to alternate with other pieces.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2021, 10:29:40 AM »
But how many mazurkas or nocturnes in a row, Florestan?

All of them and then some. No kidding.
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2021, 10:37:33 AM »
I can do 20 minutes or so of nocturnes in a stretch, only 1-2 polonaises or waltzes at a time, the full cycle of preludes easily, but I can absolutely listen to 15-20 mazurkas in a row. A full single CD of them is no problem for me. I think the mazurkas are his best, most interesting, and most varied genre, in general, and they offer the performer the most liberty (although some performers of course use this liberty to go far astray).