Chopin's mazurkas

Started by jwinter, August 02, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on November 13, 2022, 02:17:23 PM
Michel Block's late in life Mazurkas are like Wasowski, these are both only in small doses for me, those tempi can be a bit much in the Mazurkas. For me Block's best Chopin are his DG recordings from the early 60s.

edit: I haven't heard the Block Chopin Institute CD, last I checked it wasn't on Qobuz.

Block is responsible for the worst Chopin performance I've ever heard - the barcarolle. About 15 minutes of it I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on November 16, 2022, 09:11:06 AM
Block is responsible for the worst Chopin performance I've ever heard - the barcarolle. About 15 minutes of it I think.

I have not, I believe that is on the Chopin OM Recordings CD, I bought it years ago and there were some pinholes or flaking and wouldn't rip so the seller told me to bin it. I can't even imagine 15 minutes for the Barcarolle. Block is also responsible for not just the worst Tempest Sonata I've heard but the worst Beethoven Piano Sonata performance I've heard. I have no idea why he would make decisions like these extreme tempi, he was still capable of playing at a very high level late in life as evidenced by the Liszt Harmonies poetiques et religieuses, Granados, Albeniz, Scriabin (most beautiful/poetic second sonata, unmatched in those qualities), etc. It's a bit maddening because when he was "on" he was easily one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century.