Chopin's mazurkas

Started by jwinter, August 02, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwinter

Quote from: Bogey on Today at 12:46:21 PM
Thanks to JW's thread here and a rec from Miloš, I just submitted my request to Amazon for this, which gives me about a fifth:

>

This is the second cd from my request of folks from their top two, stone-cold-lead-pipe-lock-pay $50 for it, if you have to---must have on your shelf and if you do not, you cannot call yourself a fan of Chopin cds. 

If you have not added to this list of Chopin cds I need to purchase, please do so with a IM to me.

Hey, waitaminnit!   $:)

I've actually got this one!   :D   I got it several years ago as part of this set:

[asin]B00006YXP0[/asin]

Yippee!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Herman

Quote from: jwinter on August 02, 2012, 04:26:15 PM
Quote from: Mandryka on Today at 04:57:04 PM
Why do you like the last Rubinstein set the most? Do you enjoy old recordings? The answers to these questions will help me give you a better answer tomorrow.

It's hard to describe why I like Rubinstein's mazurkas so much.  I like them for their lyrical quality, for how they project a deep sense of Romanticism without becoming mushy or sentimental.  I love the way he makes the melodies flow so naturally, nothing sounds contrived or forced, like the notes are just falling off his fingers.  His tone is beautiful, soft or vigorous as necessary but never harsh, and it's beautifully recorded.  And this is largely in my own head, I know, but I can't help but hear a certain nostalgic, autumnal quality in the 1960s recording, as if these are works he's thought about for a very long time, and he knows that this may be his last chance to capture his reading for posterity, so he wants to do it just right, nothing eccentric, just Chopin as he feels it should be played.

Some of these stereo mazurkas are extraordinary, but in general I prefer Rubinstein's middle (mono LP) recording. Of course there's nostalgia in the music, but I don't think we should overdose on the autumnal aspect.

There's an amazing Sofronitsky recital with a string of mazurkas and waltzes that is just indispensible.

jwinter

Yep, I seem to be in the minority, preferring the Rubinstein stereo to the 1950's mono set.  It may just be a matter of greater familiarity -- I will definitely give the mono set a serious re-listen soon.

Agree that the autumnal thing can be overdone -- you hear it all the time, for instance about Bruno Walter's Columbia Symphony recordings.  But it's a useful verbal crutch for me when trying to describe how I hear these:  there's a certain aristocratic quality about them, a slight reticence and holding back in the dancing melody that enhances rather than diminishes the experience; as I said, it's a purely gut-level reaction, so it's hard to describe...

Herman

Quote from: jwinter on August 03, 2012, 11:33:59 AM
Yep, I seem to be in the minority, preferring the Rubinstein stereo to the 1950's mono set.  It may just be a matter of greater familiarity -- I will definitely give the mono set a serious re-listen soon.

well, I really prefer both. There are a bunch of pieces on the stereo set that are just stunningly beautiful. The great thing about having these three different sets (and the same goes for all of his Chopin) it prevents you from always listening to the same stuff.

Mandryka

I think the best of Michelangeli's Mazurkas are on Aura rather than on DG, this CD for example:

I have it as CD 8 of the big cheap brown  box.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sammy

Quote from: Drasko on August 03, 2012, 10:56:00 AM
I'm not huge fan of Luisada (DG/Newton).

Neither am I, being of medium-build. ;D

Lisztianwagner

I think my favourite recording of the mazurkas is the Ashkenazy: extremely passionate, intense and elegant. Anyway, I have to admit that it's a hard contest between this and Rubinstein's interpretation....

[asin]B00000427T[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Bogey

I just ran through Artie's '65 Mazurkas today....some twice.  He is just one of those cats that I dig no matter the recording.  The set for $24 is still one of the best bargains....ever! 

[asin]B000026OW3[/asin]

Even if he is not in your top few, it is nuts to pass on the box.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Quote from: Bogey on August 03, 2012, 03:28:14 PM
I just ran through Artie's '65 Mazurkas today....some twice.  He is just one of those cats that I dig no matter the recording.  The set for $24 is still one of the best bargains....ever! 

[asin]B000026OW3[/asin]

Even if he is not in your top few, it is nuts to pass on the box.

It isn't nuts if, like me, you already have most of what's in that box.  I think I only lack the sonatas and the mazurkas from what is in there. 

I did notice that the stereo recording of the Nocturnes--my favorite Chopin recording, period-- is on its own ridiculously cheap--under $16--if you don't want the full box.
[asin]B000031WBV[/asin]

jwinter

I actually just ran across another bunch of Mazurkas I didn't realize I had -- Janusz Olejniczak, which came bundled with the Sokolov Preludes I ordered a while back.  More fun to explore.

Speaking of exploring, my sincere thanks to the kind member who gave me a chance to preview the first Luisada.  :D   I shall give them a listen as well over the weekend and report back...

Todd

Quote from: jwinter on August 03, 2012, 04:35:17 AMI've never heard of Michel Block, thanks for the tip.

If ever you go for Block, go for the ProPiano recording first.  (The Guild recording is very slow.)  Do remember that Rubinstein himself created the Rubinstein prize on the spot for Michel Block in 1960 when he did not win the Chopin compeition.  (Pollini won.)

Ever heard that Michelangeli sought a sound of organ and violin?  Block largely achieves it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

A couple of other excellent Michelangeli mazurka recordings which I'd forgotten about yesterday:

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 03, 2012, 05:22:51 PM
It isn't nuts if, like me, you already have most of what's in that box.  I think I only lack the sonatas and the mazurkas from what is in there. 

I did notice that the stereo recording of the Nocturnes--my favorite Chopin recording, period-- is on its own ridiculously cheap--under $16--if you don't want the full box.
[asin]B000031WBV[/asin]

Get the box....pass on the others to friends! :D  In fact, I did just that with the nocturnes that you posted above.  I hear you though when it comes to deciding on box sets that you have the majority of.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

pbarach

I have Wasowski's set (as well as his Nocturnes). But they seem erratic and wayward to no positive end. I would choose Friedman and Jonas as well as Rubinstein 1965.

Bogey

This is obviously turning into "you better have a few sets on the shelf to even comment", so I will take myself out of the "what to buy" discussion and just start buying more....and then comment after listening.

Bogey

Listened to the three Mazurkas offered by Argerich....thanks to George. 8)  I enjoyed her playing more than the Rubinstein.  Unfortunately it seems that these are the only ones that she recorded....is this correct?  She brings an elegance, if not nobility to them that I just latched on to.  (Let alone the Preludes).  It was truly a pleasure.

Mandryka

What did you listen to , the three Op59s? 

A couple of years ago DG released her playing a whole bunch more here:

By the way, if you have been listening to her play op 59, the logical thing to do now is to seek out Pogorelich's record of them -- Argerich was herself very impressed by the way he plays them.

Bogey

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2012, 12:09:58 AM
What did you listen to , the three Op59s? 

A couple of years ago DG released her playing a whole bunch more here:

By the way, if you have been listening to her play op 59, the logical thing to do now is to seek out Pogorelich's record of them -- Argerich was herself very impressed by the way he plays them.

Yes, the Op. 59 run.  Thanks for the lead on the cd and the Pogorelich.  Any recording you suggest?  It also looks as if the Op. 59 I have from this cd:

is a different recording than the one on the cd you posted.  Is that correct?

The Raven

George, my wife makes me ask if that's you and if yes, are they real? :-[