Best recordings (for sound quality)

Started by zenpmd, August 08, 2012, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 08, 2012, 01:59:29 PM

Quote from: Scots John on August 08, 2012, 02:22:40 PM
I am going to relisten to that as a result of this!  I think I only heard it once  :( ...perhaps I haven't had it up loud enough or was doing something when it was on...one of those things I like about GMG, always having to re-evaluate on new information...Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on shortly.

John, when you do play it again, listen in particular to the final measures of the first movement. Haitink reinforces the rhythm with some blistering timpani strokes (not in the score). I don't think I've heard any other conductor make that unauthorized addition but it works really well. Quite thrilling.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bumtz

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra playing Prokofiev, Bizet, Britten. Amazing performance and truly outstanding sound.

Dancing Divertimentian

Let's get some small-forces recordings on here. Solo piano:

[asin]B0013GBD9W[/asin]

[asin]B000ELL0Q8[/asin]

Chamber:

[asin]B00000IL6L[/asin]

[asin]B00000F1S4[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 09, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
Let's get some small-forces recordings on here. Solo piano:

Add Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti, Scriabin, or Chopin.

Also

Leon

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 09, 2012, 03:39:51 PM
[asin]B00000IL6L[/asin]

[asin]B00000F1S4[/asin]

Oh, yes, I heartily agree about these Winter & Winter recordings.  In fact, this label unfailingly produces some of the best sounding and best packaged music.  I would add that now that ECM is venturing into the Classical rep, they too produce beautiful sounding recordings. Like this one:

[asin]B002FEUOA0[/asin]

North Star

I agree with Boulez's Stravinsky & Bartók recordings mentioned earlier.
Luisada's RCA Chopin mazurkas (SACD) belong on the piano recording list, too, along with Pletnev's EMI Pictures, Argerich's duos with Pletnev and Freire on DGG, and Andsnes's Schumann Fantaisie & 1st Sonata.
[asin]B0007DHQ48[/asin]

[asin]B0002QXRJS[/asin]

[asin]B001AVUAC6[/asin]

And, despite recent developments, I quite like Belcea Quartet's Bartók and Schubert recordings on EMI.
[asin]B002OPY7OY[/asin]
(that woods sure has good acoustics)

[asin]B0027YUK98[/asin]

[asin]B006OGSRW2[/asin]

In fact, pretty much every relatively recent (2000s) Harmonia Mundi / BIS / Naïve / Linn / Hyperion  recording...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Concertgebouw, Chailly) - The Fifth isn't necessarily my favorite Mahler symphony, but this spectacular recording shows both Chailly and the orchestra at their best. The sonics are beyond praise, and the great artwork doesn't hurt, either.

[asin]B0000042I7[/asin]

Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances,  Études-tableaux, Vocalise (Minnesota Orchestra, Oue) - While not my favorite interpretation of the piece, this release (on Reference Recordings) has sound quality that is spine-tingling. (PS, I really can't stand the cover art. Couldn't they have come up with something other than those silly birds?)

[asin]B00005QD5Z[/asin]

--Bruce

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Arnold on August 09, 2012, 04:11:17 PM
Oh, yes, I heartily agree about these Winter & Winter recordings.  In fact, this label unfailingly produces some of the best sounding and best packaged music.

Yes, that packaging by Winter & Winter is the kind of thing that makes me sad CDs are going away.

QuoteI would add that now that ECM is venturing into the Classical rep, they too produce beautiful sounding recordings.

Definitely agree here.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on August 09, 2012, 03:42:09 PM
Add Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti, Scriabin, or Chopin.

One day I'd like to pick up something from Sudbin. Maybe Santa will be kind this year...

zenpmd

Thanks everyone - I should add my interest in SACD's relates primarily to the understanding that most of the time they use better masters, rather than anything more technologically abstract.