Blind Comparison: Mahler Symphony no.1

Started by madaboutmahler, August 18, 2012, 11:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Thank you for your vote, Radu! :)

Will hopefully be posting the results tonight. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

johndoe21ro

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 27, 2012, 01:58:29 PM
Thank you for your vote, Radu! :)

Will hopefully be posting the results tonight. :)

I'm glad I took part in this comparison. Mahler 1st is one amazing masterpiece. As always, waiting anxious for the results... ;D

madaboutmahler

And, here they are! The final results! :)

5. A8 Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Georg Solti (Decca/1984)
Many thought of this as the 'safe interpretation' of the 5, but with many wonderful moments. Some thought that the conductor took most pleasure out out of the full orchestral tuttis, making a highly exciting performance, but thought the lyrical moments could have been more subtle, and the moments like the trio could have had more schmaltz.
[asin]B0000041Z6[/asin]
This recording recieved 25 points, out of a possible 50.

4. B1 Berliner Philharmoniker/Claudio Abbado (DG/1989)
Throughout the first two rounds, this recording was one of the most constantly high-scoring out of them all, recieving nearly all first place choices from voters in the first round. In the final round, some voters felt that the performance was too restrained, until the finale, which they found incredibly dramatic and thrilling. Some voters found that the performance lacked magic, and said they found it too soft compared to the others. This recording did still recieve quite a few top marks in the final round though!
[asin]B000001GEZ[/asin]
This recording recieved 28 points, out of a possible 50.

3. C8 Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck (Exton/2010)
In the first round, this recording did incredibly well, recieving nearly 90% of its possible votes. Many found the performance to be perfect. However, in the second round, there were debates about the slow tempi that Honeck adopted for the inner movements. In the final round, some thought that this recording lacked drama and excitement, but others found it to be stylish, intense and with a fantastic orchestra. (those horns!!!!)
[asin]B002AJW1YW[/asin]
This recording recieved 29 points, out of a possible 50.

2. B8 San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas (Avie/2011)
One of the most consistently popular recordings in the comparison, most voters felt they could easily connect with the performance which they found perfectly balanced, and natural.
[asin]B004RUF02C[/asin]
This recording recieved 30 points, out of a possible 50.

1. C5 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Mariss Jansons (RCO Live/2007)
Winning by a mile, this recording was enjoyed by all voters in the final round, never not having a top 3 spot from anyone. Nearly half the voters put it as their first choice. It was described as a powerful, special and perfect. Voters admired how flexible the orchestra was, and how balanced and thrilling the contrasts were. A well-deserved win, I would say. Very glad it has won!!!! :)
[asin]B000P1KTDW[/asin]
This recording recieved 38 points, out of a possible 50.

So, are you surprised at all? Glad? I very much look forward to hearing your opinions!

It has been a pleasure to organize this comparison, thank you all so very much for taking part.
Our next Mahler comparison will be starting next year, probably around late February. I'll keep it a surprise which we'll be doing! ;)

In the meantime, the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique comparison has just started, please do sign up if interested! And, Brian's Gaspard da Nuit comparison will be starting in the new year.

Thanks again, everyone! Hope you have enjoyed it! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

trung224

That is surprising result :) My prediction about B1, B8, A8 is right. But C5 is Jansons, very interesting and definitely I consider to buy this

johndoe21ro

Honeck is definitely my reference although some say it's pretty shy. Glad it's up there with the MTT... two magnificent interpretations. The long journey finally ended and it did just well. Thank you, Daniel. :)

Lisztianwagner

Wow, what interesting, surprising results! So Jansons' recording was C5?! I thought to have recognized it as B8, instead that one was the MTT, which pleasantly impressed me. Glad the Jansons has won anyway, it's a very beautiful performance. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Beale

Great job for hosting a most enjoyable journey. Is the final result here the culmination of all three rounds? The winner was never in doubt, but the scoring of the others were very close.

I will definitely seek out the top three here.

zauberflöte

Thank you, Daniel!
I ranked B1 over B8 and usually like MTT much better as a Mahler conductor than Abbado, though Abaddo's ninth is great. So, color me surprised.
Looking over the voting choices Thomas seemed to divide listeners the most. It was either way up or way down in the final listening. No third place votes as far as I can see. Most of the votes were for second place. 

The Jansons was a nice surprise.

I have Solti's LSO version and wondered if A8 might have been his Chicago incarnation. Better sound  but a similar interpretation.

I knew beforehand C8 was Honeck but only because I figured out the offered anagram.

Beale

For a point of reference here are David Hurwitz's scores for the top three.

• Jansons: Artistic Quality 8; Sound Quality 8
  • MTT: Artistic Quality 9; Sound Quality 10
  • Honeck: Artistic Quality 10; Sound Quality 10

zauberflöte

Quote from: Beale on October 27, 2012, 04:35:42 PM
Whenever David Hurwitz hates a recording I tend to check it out more thoroughly and almost always avoid his 10/10s. Comes from years of practice regarding his tastes.

xochitl

Quote from: zauberflöte on October 27, 2012, 04:54:08 PM
Whenever David Hurwitz hates a recording I tend to check it out more thoroughly and almost always avoid his 10/10s. Comes from years of practice regarding his tastes.
exactly  :D

i'm extremely surprised B1 is abbado. ive never heard his mahler apart from the chicago 7th.  gotta check him out

also disappointed finding out B8 is MTT.  his 5th is probably in my top 3

and Jansons?!  :o  ive heard maybe 2 recordings he's made ever.  also gotta correct that

Beale

Sure. That would be the ideal way to approach reviews knowing how one's taste aligns or disagrees with the reviewer. Hurwitz certainly liked Honeck (C8). I think the result from this blind comparison suggest that Jansons 1st has wide appeal.

zauberflöte

Quote from: xochitl on October 27, 2012, 07:05:18 PM
also disappointed finding out B8 is MTT.  his 5th is probably in my top 3
and Jansons?!  :o  ive heard maybe 2 recordings he's made ever.  also gotta correct that
My sentiments exactly. MTTs Mahler 5 I heard in concert and it was magnificent. Jansons I had never really appreciated. He always seemed superficial. Learn something new everyday! I'll wait until we get through all the symphonies but I'm definitely going get me some Jansons Mahler somewhere.

johndoe21ro

Don't forget Fischer & Budapest Festival Orchestra (Channel Classics) folks. Lean your ears for a few minutes before dismissing it. It might put a wide smile on your faces.
I have a strange feeling of relief now that we are at the end of this journey. Too bad we are separated by so many miles... hundreds of miles... thousands of miles... A good drink in honour of our little acomplishment would've been great. :)

aukhawk

Great job - seems like a convincing winner!
Since my own 'go to' recording of Mahler 1 is getting a leetle long in the tooth (Solti/LSO, nearly 50 years old now) I'll definitely be checking those top 3 out.  I've got a couple of Jansons records - I like his Dvorak 5 - and the Concertgebouw is a top top band, so it looks like I won't go wrong with that.

I'll watch Berlioz with interest, and look forward to the next Mahler comparison - or Sibelius, even better.  Or Shostavkovich.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Beale on October 27, 2012, 04:35:42 PM

• Jansons: Artistic Quality 8; Sound Quality 8
  • MTT: Artistic Quality 9; Sound Quality 10
  • Honeck: Artistic Quality 10; Sound Quality 10

Although I too often check out his really low ratings and find I disagree--not with his specifics but with his conclusions (the Ozawa/Berlin Prokofiev cycle, for example)--I've seldom been steered wrong by one of his 10/10s. For my taste, he's a consistent and positive guide. He convinced me to give Honeck's M1 a try and, like johndoe21ro, it's become my modern reference recording (competing with the 40-year-old Horenstein for that coveted spot on the desert island).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Interesting fact: the top four places went to live recordings! And the top three were recorded within the last five years. Conclusion: That we're living in a golden age of Mahler performance?   ;D 8)

Sarge

zauberflöte

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 28, 2012, 02:27:35 AM
Although I too often check out his really low ratings and find I disagree--not with his specifics but with his conclusions (the Ozawa/Berlin Prokofiev cycle, for example)--I've seldom been steered wrong by one of his 10/10s.
Perhaps I should give Mr. Hurwitz another chance. I did like the Honeck. But it was his 10/10 review of the aforementioned Segerstam Sibelius 5 that had been the last straw for me. I bought the recording based on the review and it never took off for me. And who's the guy over at Classics Today who gives every recording of Rautavaara that comes down the pike a 10/10? They aren't bad records but that's overkill.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 27, 2012, 02:31:41 PM
So, are you surprised at all? Glad?

Very glad Honeck did so well (my favorites usually tend to bite the dust in these "competitions"  :D )  Surprised by Jansons and Abbado. Jansons because I'm not that familiar with his Mahler....I had no idea it could be this great (I only have his SOBR M7, a gift from Jens, that, while good, didn't impress me like this M1); Abbado because....well, it's Abbado, a conductor I'm on record as generally disliking in Mahler. Maybe if I'd heard this performance twenty-five years ago, my opinion would have been a little less critical all these years.

Honeck and Solti I knew, of course (Solti because I bought it about halfway through this comparison and had listened to it several times before the final round. But even if I hadn't, the brass dominated textures and hyper intensity would have probably given him away). I suspected B8 was MTT. His rhetorical gestures (the rubato, the retardando) are like musical fingerprints that make identifying his Mahler pretty easy.

You did a great job, Daniel (even though the final round was protracted almost to the breaking point  ;D  If we ever do one of the really long symphonies, like the Third, the last round will probably last about six months  :D  )  Thank you very much for conducting this. As I said in another thread, listening, and listening so intently, to this many Titans has increased my admiration for this symphony.

I'm disappointed Horenstein and Fischer weren't included (I should have offered a Horenstein rip). I understand it wasn't possible to include every M1 but Horenstein was the only "classic" M1 that wasn't included. There should have been room for it.

I'm also disappointed Monkey Greg had to bow out before the end. A pity.

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 28, 2012, 03:31:28 AM
Very glad Honeck did so well (my favorites usually tend to bite the dust in these "competitions"  :D )  Surprised by Jansons and Abbado. Jansons because I'm not that familiar with his Mahler....I had no idea it could be this great (I only have his SOBR M7, a gift from Jens, that, while good, didn't impress me like this M1); Abbado because....well, it's Abbado, a conductor I'm on record as generally disliking in Mahler. Maybe if I'd heard this performance twenty-five years ago, my opinion would have been a little less critical all these years.

Honeck and Solti I knew, of course (Solti because I bought it about halfway through this comparison and had listened to it several times before the final round. But even if I hadn't, the brass dominated textures and hyper intensity would have probably given him away). I suspected B8 was MTT. His rhetorical gestures (the rubato, the retardando) are like musical fingerprints that make identifying his Mahler pretty easy.

You did a great job, Daniel (even though the final round was protracted almost to the breaking point  ;D  If we ever do one of the really long symphonies, like the Third, the last round will probably last about six months  :D  )  Thank you very much for conducting this. As I said in another thread, listening, and listening so intently, to this many Titans has increased my admiration for this symphony.

I'm disappointed Horenstein and Fischer weren't included (I should have offered a Horenstein rip). I understand it wasn't possible to include every M1 but Horenstein was the only "classic" M1 that wasn't included. There should have been room for it.

I'm also disappointed Monkey Greg had to bow out before the end. A pity.

Sarge

It was, Sarge. I wanted to be a part of this one. But Golf season is reaching its end, which gives me more time for comparisons. That was the main reason for my departure for this one. But I kept up with this thread, and I'm actually very interested in hearing the Janons disc.

I'm helping Daniel with the Berlioz blind, I even gave him a chance to be a contestant rather than the moderator, but I think he has fun in that role  ;)