Rue de Roussel

Started by snyprrr, September 05, 2012, 07:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

THERE!! :-*

In French, Spanish & German no less!! :P

http://www.wrightmusic.net/pdfs/albert-roussel.pdf

You may freely subsume the previous Thread into this now More Perfect Vessel ::). mmm mmm mmm

snyprrr

Oh, it's not going down like this!

eyeresist

Le Roussel Rissole? Really?

How about Roussel le Roi?

snyprrr

I see things haven't changed. :(

pjme

Pianist Jan Michiels is a wonderful artist! and he plays Roussel!

P.

snyprrr

Quote from: pjme on September 06, 2012, 11:27:10 AM

Pianist Jan Michiels is a wonderful artist! and he plays Roussel!

P.

How is the PC on that one, eh?

btw- welcome to the New & More Perfect Roussel Thread!! ;)

Superhorn

I still like Rue de Roussel .

snyprrr

Quote from: Superhorn on September 07, 2012, 08:36:17 AM

Well, we can change yours and get the mods to put this one in,... what do you want to do? I'll gladly change this one to your title. I want to lay the 'sadly neglected' thing to rest, because, I think Roussel has got his proper due, and is as popular as he will ever get,... which suits me fine since I'm in the club. For anyone curious about Roussel, I will send them to the Piano Concerto first.

Things will be what they will be, but I hope we can soon rejoice! :D

snyprrr

No one had mentioned this is the... mm... other Thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Roussel-Symphonies-2-3-4/dp/B000HWZAR4/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347213071&sr=1-10&keywords=roussel

Clutyens gets high marks around, and this set has an obscure recording of the 2nd Symphony. Has anyone heard this?

not edward

Quote from: snyprrr on September 09, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
No one had mentioned this is the... mm... other Thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Roussel-Symphonies-2-3-4/dp/B000HWZAR4/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347213071&sr=1-10&keywords=roussel

Clutyens gets high marks around, and this set has an obscure recording of the 2nd Symphony. Has anyone heard this?
This set is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Great stuff.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on September 09, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
This set is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Great stuff.

Symphony No.2 is great with Derveaux(?), it's quite a massive work. 3-4 with Clutyens are also nice and vintage, but, surprisingly I did not find Jarvi diminished. I was all ready to trade him in, but he seems to hold his own. The Chandos sound fits his sumptuousness.

I also pulled out the other EMI disc, but found the Concertino for Cello and Orchestra somewhat slight. Honegger's piece seems to be a perfect distillation of what Roussel might have been going for here.

I still haven't heard Symphony No.1.

lescamil

Quote from: Superhorn on September 07, 2012, 08:36:17 AM

For the record, "Rue" and "Roussel" technically don't rhyme, since when both are pronounced correctly in French, the vowel is different. In English we get lazy about it, since most people cannot pronounce the French "u" and only the French "ou", which is identical to the English "u" or "oo". I suppose this is the best we can do for now, though!
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Quote from: lescamil on May 03, 2013, 06:04:40 AM
For the record, "Rue" and "Roussel" technically don't rhyme, since when both are pronounced correctly in French, the vowel is different. In English we get lazy about it, since most people cannot pronounce the French "u" and only the French "ou", which is identical to the English "u" or "oo". I suppose this is the best we can do for now, though!

Have you been talking with mother? :laugh:

snyprrr

Listening to Petre's 'Spider's Banquet'. Is this Wagnerian?

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 26, 2013, 07:21:48 PM
Listening to Petre's 'Spider's Banquet'. Is this Wagnerian?

??? No, it doesn't sound Wagnerian to me. Listen to Deneve's recording sometime.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2013, 07:23:14 PM
??? No, it doesn't sound Wagnerian to me. Listen to Deneve's recording sometime.

I'm going to the corner mart now for some cds, is there anything you need?

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 26, 2013, 07:27:41 PM
I'm going to the corner mart now for some cds, is there anything you need?

Nope, but bring me back some Alka Seltzer. :)

pjme

Daverz

Quote from: snyprrr on September 09, 2012, 09:53:05 AM

I have most of these recordings on a the Cluytens Artist Profile set and a Japanese issue of Symphonies 3 & 4.  I haven't heard this Symphony 2, but the set is still highly recommendable.

For more out of the way Roussel, the following CD is very nice:

EDIT: those recordings seem to have migrated to this more easily available set:

[asin]B002NVLXF0[/asin]

Joaquimhock

Quote from: pjme on September 27, 2013, 12:41:50 AM
Carousel....

"Le cas Roussel" is excellent! But the "s" between two vowels should be pronounced "z".
"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fenĂȘtre"