Glinka's Kalinka

Started by snyprrr, September 08, 2012, 10:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I find Glinka so magical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Glinka

If you don't like Classical Music, you will like Glinka. The opening power of Kamarinskaya is panoramic. I remember an old Olympia disk of Chamber Music that was wonderful. What do you say?

The new erato

I say that this may be it?:

[asin]B000Z66R6U[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on September 09, 2012, 12:33:36 AM
I say that this may be it?:

[asin]B000Z66R6U[/asin]

No, it was on Olympia. But I remember the Septet and Sextet. I also really enjoyed an old Naxos release.

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on September 09, 2012, 07:34:06 AM
No, it was on Olympia. But I remember the Septet and Sextet. I also really enjoyed an old Naxos release.
I heard that. But Regis is reissuing some Olympia titles, so it may still be the same.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: The new erato on September 09, 2012, 09:18:24 AM
I heard that. But Regis is reissuing some Olympia titles, so it may still be the same.
Appears to be the same:
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

snyprrr

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 09, 2012, 09:24:50 AM
Appears to be the same:

I am sure that is not the cover of the Olympia I had, but, now, the name Pletnev might have been on it,... but, I can't be sure. I will do some digging. If that is the absolute only option, then there are two Olympia covers (possible, maybe probable) to the booklet.

What tired me of 'Classical Music', and, I'll take the Beethoven Overtures set as an example (which I love, dgmw). Whereas someone like Beethoven starts with the dramatic motif, and then can proceed to the typically Classical sounding major-ish music, Glinka, in Kamarinskaya in particular, to me, keeps the mood going,... almost reminding me of Sibelius. Did any of that make sense? ??? I feel like I just put my finger in my eye, haha!! :-\ :P ;D

snyprrr

Wow, Glinka has 1000 entries. :(

mc ukrneal

Quote from: snyprrr on September 09, 2012, 09:45:24 AM
I am sure that is not the cover of the Olympia I had, but, now, the name Pletnev might have been on it,... but, I can't be sure. I will do some digging. If that is the absolute only option, then there are two Olympia covers (possible, maybe probable) to the booklet.

What tired me of 'Classical Music', and, I'll take the Beethoven Overtures set as an example (which I love, dgmw). Whereas someone like Beethoven starts with the dramatic motif, and then can proceed to the typically Classical sounding major-ish music, Glinka, in Kamarinskaya in particular, to me, keeps the mood going,... almost reminding me of Sibelius. Did any of that make sense? ??? I feel like I just put my finger in my eye, haha!! :-\ :P ;D
Not Olympia (and yet interestingly Olympia), but what looks like another release of it:
or
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

snyprrr

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 10, 2012, 06:37:26 AM
Not Olympia (and yet interestingly Olympia), but what looks like another release of it:
or

THAT's it!!

I also have his String Quartet No.2 around here somewhere...

HenselFlaeder

I'm a really big fan of Glinka. I have that chamber disc, and it really is wonderful. Kamarinskaya also is a wonderful showpiece. The Naxos disc of orchestral works is ok, but i think I'd like dig a little deeper into his works list.

snyprrr

Oh, how infuriating!! You've neglected our favourite lounging and reclining Composer for four long years! Unbelievable!!

KAMARINSKAYA FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!

Scion7

Whaddya know?  SNYPRRR goes for good ol' traditonal Russian Romantics.
Whoda thunk it?
Good show, mate!!   This list excludes the vocal and stage pieces:

Chamber Works
   •   Nocturne for Harp in Eb, G.vi62
   •   Septet in Bb for Oboe, Bassoon, French Horn, and String Quartet (unfinished), G.iii3
   •   Serenade Es-dur on Themes from Donizetti's Opera 'Anna Bolena', for piano, harp, bassoon, horn, cello and double bass 
   •   Sextet in Eb ('Grand'), for piano, string quartet, and double bass   
   •   String Quartet in D, G.iii67   
   •   String Quartet in F, G.iii125
   •   Trio pathétique, for clarinet, bassoon, and piano in D-, G.iv173   
   •   Viola Sonata in C- (incomp.), G.iv3 
   •   Viola Sonata: I. Allegro moderato (arr. R. Schottstadt for bassoon and piano)
   •   Divertimento Brilliante on Themes from Bellini's Opera "La sonnambula" in Ab, for pn, 2 vns, cello, db
   •   Variations on a Theme from Mozart's Opera "Die Zauberflöte" in Eb, for harp, piano

Orchestral Works
   •   A Life for the Tsar (Suite based on the opera)
   •   Andante cantabile & Rondo for orchestra in d
   •   Rusian and Lyudmila suite    
   •   Capriccio brillante on the Jota Aragonesa (Spanish Overture No.1), G.ii3
   •   Souvenir d'une nuit d'ete a Madrid, 'Spanish Overture No.2', for orchestra 
   •   Valse-fantasie in B- (Version for Orchestra)   
   •   Kamarinskaya (Symphonic Fantasy), G.ii105   
   •   Overture in D, G. i129 
   •   Souvenirs of a summer night in Madrid (Spanish Overture No.2), G.ii143
   •   Symphony on Two Russian Themes in D-, G. i193 (incomplete)
   •   Valse-Fantaisie in B-, G.ii213
   •    Prayer
   •    Memory of Friendship
   •    The Patriotic Song 
   •   Symphony, for orchestra in Bb. G.xvii142 (incomplete)   
   •   Overture, for orchestra in G-, G.i85

Piano Works   
   •   A Greeting To My Native Land ('Privet otchizne'; suite), G.vi220   
   •   Bolero in D-, G.vi208
   •   Capriccio brillante on Russian themes in A, for piano, 4 hands, G.v19 
   •   Children's Polka ('Detskaya Polka') in Bb, G.vi257   
   •   5 Contredanses, G.vi166 
   •   Cotillon in Bb, G.vi67 
   •   Farewell Waltz ('Proschal'nïy val's') in G, G.vi117   
   •   3 Fugues   
   •   Galopade in Eb, G.vi174   
   •   Grande valse in G, G.vi175   
   •   Impromptu and Galop on the barcarolle from Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore in Bb, for piano, 4 hands, G.v9 
   •   Jota Aragon (transcribed for four-hand piano by K. Klindvort and M Balakirev)   
   •   Kamarinskaya (transcribed for four-hand piano by S. Lyapunov)   
   •   La couventine (contredanses), G.vi188   
   •   La séparation in F-, G.xvi204
   •   Las Mollares (Andalusian Dance) in G, G.vi264 
   •   Mazurka in C, G.x256
   •   Mazurka in C-, G.x219 
   •   Mazurka in G, G.vi70
   •   3 Mazurkas in Ab (1833), F major (1833), and F major (1835)   
   •   Nocturne in Eb, G.vi62   
   •   Nocturne in F- ('Le regret')   
   •   5 Nouvelles quadrilles françaises, G.vi267   
   •   Polka in Bb, for piano, 4 hands, G.v47   
   •   Polka in D-, G.vi250   
   •   Polonaise in E, G.vi184   
   •   Tarantella in A-, G.vi217   
   •   The Lark 
   •   Trot de cavalerie (i) in G, for piano, 4 hands, G.v3   
   •   Trot de cavalerie (ii) in C, for piano, 4 hands, G.v7   
   •   Valse mélodique in Eb, G.vi164   
   •   Valse-Fantaisie in B-, for 2 pianos, G.vi193   
   •   Valse-favorite in Bb, G.vi170   
   •   Variations on 'Benedetta sia la madre' in E, G.vi26   
   •   Variations on a Theme from Bellini's 'I Capuleti e i Montecchi' in Bb, G.vi104   
   •   Variations on a Theme from Bellini's 'I Capuleti e i Montecchi' in C, G.vi118   
   •   Variations on a Theme from Cherubini's 'Faniska' in Bb, G.vi55 
   •   Variations on a Theme from Donizetti's 'Anna Bolena' in A, G.vi79   
   •   Variations on a Theme of Mozart in Eb, G.vi13   
   •   Variations on Alyabyev's 'Solovey' in E-, G.vi135   
   •   Variations on an Original Theme in F, G.vi1 
   •   Variations on the Song 'Among the Gentle Valleys' in A-, G.vi51   
   •   Variations on Two Themes from the Ballet 'Chao-Kang' in D, G.vi93   
   •   Waltz-Fantasy (transcribed for four-hand piano by S. Lyapunov)   
   •   A Farewell to St. Petersburg: No.10. Zhavoronok (The Lark; arr. M. Balakirev)   
   •   Variations on 'The Nightingale' by Alexandr Alabiev in E-, for piano
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on November 24, 2017, 07:41:17 AM
Whaddya know?  SNYPRRR goes for good ol' traditonal Russian Romantics.
Whoda thunk it?
Good show, mate!!   This list excludes the vocal and stage pieces:

Cheers!

Glinka seems one-of-a-kind to me,fresh and not academic. 'Kamarinskaya' is a Masterpiece of Russian melody! I had mostofhis popular stuff at one time, including that Olympia disc of Chamber Works.

What's the best Piano Music?

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

For the fine sound quality, if nothing else.

*UPDATE 2020 - does anyone remember what this was?
The image is dead for some reason.
It might have been the Piano Trio by the Borodin Trio ... but I can't remember.

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on November 26, 2017, 01:59:03 AM

For the fine sound quality, if nothing else.

LOOKS DELICIOUS!! That just feels like a hot cocoa and fire on a snowy day!

Quote from: Scion7 on November 24, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Beethoven, of course!   ;D

noted ;) :D :laugh:

Scion7

The best piano pieces are his more mature work, IMO.

A Greeting to My Native Land is a four-part composition that is fairly meaty:

I.   Souvenir d'une Mazurka in B♭ major
II.  Barcarolle in G major
III. Prayer in A major
IV.  Variations on a Scottish Theme

You can find everything that's been recorded on YT for sampling, which means all his published piano work.

Scion7

OOP, but a choice find if one comes across it:

Some (all?) of these are posted on YT - the titles are in Russian, and I don't know how correct they are by those that put them up.  They are available on Amazon digital music, also.

They make an alternative choice to Inga Fiolia's two-volume releases of the Complete Piano Music.

DaPianist

Quote from: snyprrr on November 24, 2017, 03:30:01 PM
Cheers!

Glinka seems one-of-a-kind to me,fresh and not academic. 'Kamarinskaya' is a Masterpiece of Russian melody! I had mostofhis popular stuff at one time, including that Olympia disc of Chamber Works.

What's the best Piano Music?

personally I love Variations on Alyabyev's Solovey (aka Nightingale). I'm practicing this piece and (despite it's just so hard) there's something tantalizing in the melody that I love!
If you are reading this then go practice your instrument thank you