The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

New Jazz Releases

(1/50) > >>

San Antone:
I would like this thread to be a place where people can post about new jazz recordings, and by new I mean new recordings not re-issues and less than 12 months old.  Because there is so much great jazz from the past one can easily listen to only music decades old and never run out of great recordings.  This is not necessaily a bad thing, no, but when it leads people to begin to think that "jazz is dead" then it perpetuates a myth that there is no new jazz being done that is any good.

And with that I offer you this:

Fred Hersch Trio - Alive at the Vanguard (2012)

Fred Hersch has been in New York for decades and consistently playing great jazz usually in a trio setting.  This disc captures his latest group in top form and playing a solid set of standards and originals.  "Playing together since 2010, Hersch has settled in comfortably with bassist John Hébert and drummer Eric McPherson, veteran musicians of estimable talent who both can drive hardily and swing delicately. This recording puts the three on a par with the great Bill Evans and his small groups."  (quote from Larry Taylor's review in All About Jazz).  Although I think he may have meant "inestimable" talent ...

"Hersch has found musical soul mates in drummer Eric McPherson and bassist John Hébert, who played in pianist Andrew Hill's last rhythm section. They are players who can set up a fluid flow or pack a prodding punch, and who seem always capable of enhancing Hersch's exquisite sense of melody, beginning with the pianist's gorgeous original opener, "Havana," filled with a feeling of spicy romance and a vibrant momentum."  (quote from Dan McClenaghan's review, also in All About Jazz).

I hope others contribute their own selections and slowly we compile a nice living discography of new jazz records so that the myth can be put to rest.

:)

San Antone:
The Cookers - Believe

A great line-up:
Eddie Henderson
Billy Hart
Cecil McBee
Billy Harper
George Cables
David Weiss
Craig Handy

Mirror Image:
It's interesting you mention Fred Hersch. He's one of my favorites. He has such beautiful harmonic and melodic conception on the piano. I was just listening to Horizons with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron the other day and I love this album. I own a lot of Hersch albums but I don't own them all. The last release I bought was Night and the Music.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on September 16, 2012, 06:26:27 AM ---It's interesting you mention Fred Hersch. He's one of my favorites. He has such beautiful harmonic and melodic conception on the piano. I was just listening to Horizons with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron the other day and I love this album. I own a lot of Hersch albums but I don't own them all. The last release I bought was Night and the Music.

--- End quote ---

You are right; and that rhythm section is fantastic.  They also have recorded several CDs with Enrico Pieranunzi, who if you have not already done so, you should check out.

San Antone:
Some totally new players to me but a absolutely great latin-jazz CD:

Mark F.Turner has this to say in his review:

--- Quote ---Pianist Luis Perdomo's presence is marked by attributes that include lyricism, depth and adaptability. The onetime member of saxophonist Ravi Coltrane's quartet has worked on many releases for artists like trombonist Steve Turre and saxophonist Miguel Zenón. His visibility is coming more into focus with The Infancia Project, which the New York-based pianist avoided making for many years over concerns of being typecast as "just another" Latin jazz musician.

While the project's flavor is influenced by the rich ethnic sounds of Perdomo's upbringing in Caracus, Venezuela, it identifies both the pianist's past and present, one that is deep-rooted yet equally progressive ....
--- End quote ---

RTRH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version