The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

New Jazz Releases

<< < (3/50) > >>

Leo K.:
I moved on to two other releases from Hersch, Letting Yourself Go (solo) and Da Vinci with Nico Gori...wow fantastic stuff.

Excited about today's jazz!

San Antone:
A really interesting new jazz release:

Leo K.:

Personnel: Jason Stein: bass clarinet; Keefe Jackson: tenor sax, contrabass clarinet; Joshua Abrams: bass; Frank Rosaly: drums.

I found this by searching Google with the words "jazz bass clarinet" and found Jason Stein's albums. Stein exclusively records with the bass clarinet, and whether in a trio, solo or quartet setting, his music is built on stable construction, but not without interesting flights off the beaten path. The texture of the bass clarinet is my favorite woodwind sound, and because of this, I am in heaven.

This Story This Time is the debut of John Stein's Quartet, released Oct 2011. It is an amazing record that swings, contemplates, and swells with beautiful textures. Stein's five compositions are mixed with those of Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Lennie Tristano, and Thelonious Monk. The heads of each track establish a wondrous sound, combining bass clarinet with tenor sax (and sometimes contrabass clarinet also played by Keefe Jackson). The improves weave with melody and explorations in space and harmony, tiptoeing the line between hard bop and free jazz, with the gritty mix of texture on top and within.

I love it.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: Leo K on October 27, 2012, 12:07:36 PM ---
Personnel: Jason Stein: bass clarinet; Keefe Jackson: tenor sax, contrabass clarinet; Joshua Abrams: bass; Frank Rosaly: drums.

I found this by searching Google with the words "jazz bass clarinet" and found Jason Stein's albums. Stein exclusively records with the bass clarinet, and whether in a trio, solo or quartet setting, his music is built on stable construction, but not without interesting flights off the beaten path. The texture of the bass clarinet is my favorite woodwind sound, and because of this, I am in heaven.

This Story This Time is the debut of John Stein's Quartet, released Oct 2011. It is an amazing record that swings, contemplates, and swells with beautiful textures. Stein's five compositions are mixed with those of Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Lennie Tristano, and Thelonious Monk. The heads of each track establish a wondrous sound, combining bass clarinet with tenor sax (and sometimes contrabass clarinet also played by Keefe Jackson). The improves weave with melody and explorations in space and harmony, tiptoeing the line between hard bop and free jazz, with the gritty mix of texture on top and within.

I love it.

--- End quote ---

Very interesting!  Thanks for the post I will look for it on either MOG or Spotify.

:)

toledobass:
Awesome....Thanks for starting this thread.  I'll check out the Metheney stuff and the new Marsalis. 

I'm enjoying the most recent Mehldau album greatly if anyone has missed it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version