New Jazz Releases

Started by San Antone, September 14, 2012, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Snarky Puppy - We like it here

Very authentic. This band burns.

toledobass

Kris Bowers' album- Heros + Misfits has been on rotation lately.  Love it all,  the last track is especially gorgeous.

San Antone

This one came in over the weekend ~

Great addition even though I had the original recording.  The most obvious reason to buy this one is the vastly improved sound over the original, and of course, all the extra material that Teo left on the cutting room floor back in 1970.

torut

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2014, 10:29:36 AM

Great addition even though I had the original recording.  The most obvious reason to buy this one is the vastly improved sound over the original, and of course, all the extra material that Teo left on the cutting room floor back in 1970.
Do you mean that the sound is better than the official, original album ("At Fillmore") or better than the original bootlegs?
In any case, if the sound is decent, it looks very good.

San Antone

Quote from: torut on March 31, 2014, 11:39:13 AM
Do you mean that the sound is better than the official, original album ("At Fillmore") or better than the original bootlegs?
In any case, if the sound is decent, it looks very good.

This re-issue is much better than the original At Fillmore, IMO.  Also, having the complete sets is a plus.  Packaging, though, is not so great.  I would have preferred a more substantial box, and the booklet is not as good as previous accompanying texts for these "complete" boxsets.  Still, on balance, this is a very good purchase for fans of this period in Miles' career.

torut

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2014, 11:48:04 AM
This re-issue is much better than the original At Fillmore, IMO.  Also, having the complete sets is a plus.  Packaging, though, is not so great.  I would have preferred a more substantial box, and the booklet is not as good as previous accompanying texts for these "complete" boxsets.  Still, on balance, this is a very good purchase for fans of this period in Miles' career.
Thank you. That sounds great. I will definitely get it. I wanted the recordings of those 4 days sessions (+ 1 day in April in this set) since I heard that it existed, but some bootlegs have really bad audio quality.

torut

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2014, 10:29:36 AM

I have finished the first listen. This is an excellent set and the best Jazz album I purchased recently. The sound quality of Fillmore East recordings is very good. (The sound of bonus tracks (at Fillmore West, April 11) is not so good, but it does not matter much since they are just 3 bonus tracks in 4-CD set.) I think Miles was the most powerful around this time. Now, they released 1967, 1969, and 1970, and my wish is that they will continue releasing 1973~1975 live recordings in good sound quality.  :)

torut

Wadada Leo Smith is actively releasing new albums.

Angelica Sanchez (piano), Wadada Leo Smith (trumpet)
Twine Forest (November, 2013)
[asin]B00G1V14SE[/asin]

I like his warm sound. He recorded many duo albums, most of which are with drums (Jack Dejohnette, Ed Blackwell, etc.) They are highly recommendable.

San Antone

can't decide if I like this or not.  still listening.  first impressions are not good but I will give it a chance to grow on me.

rite of spring ~ the bad plus

[asin]B00I89Y1XW[/asin]

torut

Kenny Garrett - Pushing the World Away (2013)

[asin]B00DUN6OF4[/asin]

He is my favorite contemporary Jazz musician. There are a lot of varieties in this latest album: Hard Bop, Coltrane, Latin, Calypso, Ballad, Chamber music, etc.

torut

Myra Melford - Life Carries Me This Way (2013)

[asin]B00EQ30SG8[/asin]

Solo piano album. Her other albums such as Alive In The House Of Saints (piano trio) and Be Bread band's The Image of Your Body are also excellent.

Henk

Just purchased: Nels Cline Singers - Macroscope

Henk

[asin]B00JDCOMAK[/asin]

Orrin Evans, best pianist of these times. This is his newest album.

[asin]B008UG0IS0[/asin]

Great stuff, much suspense. Very good technical pianist. Released in 2013, she has already another album coming out, Alive.

Henk

Quote from: toledobass on March 26, 2014, 02:26:34 PM
Kris Bowers' album- Heros + Misfits has been on rotation lately.  Love it all,  the last track is especially gorgeous.

Now playing, love it as well! Reminds me a bit of Erimaj - Conflict of a man. Maybe you like that as well.

Henk

Tomorrow:

I have high expectations from it. I saw Eubanks playing at North Sea Jazz with Dave Holland's band. What a great guitarist.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 10, 2014, 04:39:25 PM
Tomorrow:

I have high expectations from it. I saw Eubanks playing at North Sea Jazz with Dave Holland's band. What a great guitarist.

Ummm...Robin Eubanks is a trombonist. His brother, Kevin, is the guitarist.

torut

Maria Schneider is recording a new album, The Thompson Fields, which will be released on 4/21/2015.
http://artistshare.com/v4/Projects/Experience/1/463/1/Maria-Schneider-The-Thompson-Fields

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 10, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

Yes, I was distracted by the album cover, which displays a guitar. Kevin plays on some tracks however.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 10, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

I have listened to this new album. It completely fullfils my expectations, it's even better than I expected. Try it.

Looking forward to this album below by Avishai Cohen, such a cool trompetist, being released these days (can't get it yet):

Henk

Looking forward to this one:

[asin]B00LC4PEV8[/asin]