Henk

'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Henk

Out now:

Ntjam Rosie - The One

Samples sound so good!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will have a lot to catch up on.

I have really been enjoying the Tyshawn Sorey Alloy album referred to earlier. It really takes some time and effort to appreciate, but it is very beautiful, contemplative, and entrancing. What would you call this genre? Jazz? Minimalist Jazz? Chamber Jazz? Can anyone recommend any other similar recordings/artists?

Also, has anyone heard this new one by Art Hirahara?

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 21, 2015, 05:50:15 PM
Also, has anyone heard this new one by Art Hirahara?

I've caught a few (three I believe) tracks from this disc on my local college jazz station (which also streams their [excellent!] programming online). And interestingly each time it's been without prior knowledge of who the artist is. Never have I been less than hooked each time.

I can't speak for the entire CD but what I've heard I like.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

torut

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 21, 2015, 05:50:15 PM
I have really been enjoying the Tyshawn Sorey Alloy album referred to earlier. It really takes some time and effort to appreciate, but it is very beautiful, contemplative, and entrancing. What would you call this genre? Jazz? Minimalist Jazz? Chamber Jazz? Can anyone recommend any other similar recordings/artists?
WHO trio's Less is More (Clean Feed), especially the opening 2 tracks Inside the glade & Still Alone, came to my mind. It's a contemplative piano trio album I like a lot.
http://whotrio.com/id.html
The audio clips are at the upper right of the page.

Artem

I wanted to share this blog which runs frequent reviews of new jazz releases, in case somebody doesn't know it: http://www.freejazzblog.org

torut

Quote from: Artem on February 22, 2015, 11:14:05 AM
I wanted to share this blog which runs frequent reviews of new jazz releases, in case somebody doesn't know it: http://www.freejazzblog.org
My favorite jazz blog. Not only 'free jazz' but also a variety of new music are reviewed. New chamber music, sort of mix of classical, free improvisations, and minimalism, is particularly interesting to me.

Henk

All that free jazz. Crap to my ears. These guys only create "structures", it's not about melody and improvisation on melody at all, and that's the basis what jazz is about I think.

Henk

New release and just downloaded:

Henk

Very good.

Great.

[asin]B00QNUEY76[/asin]

An awesome recording. Very good line-up.

Henk

San Antone

Quote from: Henk on March 12, 2015, 08:09:32 AM

Thanks.  All three look like recordings I'd be interested in hearing.

Henk

Quote from: sanantonio on March 12, 2015, 08:17:51 AM
Thanks.  All three look like recordings I'd be interested in hearing.

Don't forget the Tim Warfield I posted. If you like Monk, this is a must.

San Antone

Quote from: Henk on March 12, 2015, 08:49:08 AM
Don't forget the Tim Warfield I posted. If you like Monk, this is a must.

You're right; I did not see your earlier post.  I am listening to Spherical right now - sounds great.

Mirror Image

I haven't heard any good straight-ahead jazz lately, but I've been following John Zorn and it's always a trip to hear what he's doing. The guy is just insanely prolific.

Henk

John, really exciting stuff released in the jazz genre, not just now, but the last few years. Just follow what I've recommended and you will find much enjoyment. Do you want me to give you a list of the best stuff? I really would like to do that for you..

I don't like Zorn, it's not really jazz, most of it is composed. It's too rigid, it all sounds the same. Sometimes I can enjoy, and I think he's great, but most of the time it's flawed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on March 13, 2015, 02:16:18 AM
John, really exciting stuff released in the jazz genre, not just now, but the last few years. Just follow what I've recommended and you will find much enjoyment. Do you want me to give you a list of the best stuff? I really would like to do that for you..

I don't like Zorn, it's not really jazz, most of it is composed. It's too rigid, it all sounds the same. Sometimes I can enjoy, and I think he's great, but most of the time it's flawed.

I think you're way off the mark about Zorn and, no thanks, I don't need any recommendations as I don't feel a strong connection with today's jazz scene anyway. Thanks for the offer, though. :)