New Jazz Releases

Started by San Antone, September 14, 2012, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2015, 06:47:12 AM
I think you're way off the mark about Zorn

I agree with you; John Zorn has made some phenomenal recordings, in a variety of styles.  My favorite music from Zorn is his Masada series, especially the early stuff that was a homage to Ornette Coleman's sound.  The Angels series is nearly as interesting.

His music in a more classical style is also good, e.g. the String Trio recording.

Henk

Quote from: sanantonio on March 13, 2015, 07:01:08 AM
I agree with you; John Zorn has made some phenomenal recordings, in a variety of styles.  My favorite music from Zorn is his Masada series, especially the early stuff that was a homage to Ornette Coleman's sound.  The Angels series is nearly as interesting.

His music in a more classical style is also good, e.g. the String Trio recording.

That's also my first thought when I think of something good by Zorn. Most of his composational and late stuff I find rather boring.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Henk

That's supermodel Candice Swanepoel on the cover. So I need the hardcopy.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on March 13, 2015, 07:01:08 AM

Good to hear we're on the same page here, sanantonio. I was just revisiting Spillane the other day and LOVED it! I mean it's not something I would listen to every day, but the whole idea of it just fascinated me and there were so many good musical sections to keep me interested. The Masada stuff is quite good, but my favorite Zorn recordings are his 'Filmworks' series. My first exposure to this kind of sound-world of his was The Big Gundown. Really love this album. Of all the albums I have coming of his, I'm really looking forward to Nosferatu and Elegy. I've heard nothing but great things about these.

Henk

Samples sound good to me. Some artists I don't know yet.

Downloaded the Chuffdrone. Interesting cover art. We can make artifical creatures but is that what we want? These artists reject that. But do we want GM mosquitoes for instance to combat diseases spread by mosquitoes? Important issues as they are possible and already operated these days.. Much garage science also, all kinds of stuff are available on the market to create GMO. Risky stuff.

San Antone

The band was founded in 1992 in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany by Thorsten Benning, Morten Gass, Robin Rodenberg and Reiner Henseleit. Originally, group members started out playing in various hardcore bands such as 7 Inch Boots and Chronical Diarrhoea. In 1992 they produced a crossover of jazz and ambient, which they self described as an "unholy ambient mixture of slow jazz ballads, Black Sabbath doom and down tuned Autopsy sounds". Henseleit left the band in 1996 and was replaced by composer and saxophone player Christoph Clöser joined in 1997, resulting in 2000's Fender Rhodes-heavy Sunset Mission. After a brief hiatus, the same lineup returned for 2002's Black Earth, 2005's Geisterfaust, and 2008's Dolores. They released Mitleid Lady on Southern Records in 2010, and followed it with Beileid on Mike Patton's Ipecac imprint in the summer of 2011.

Piano Nights is self-described as a return to the band s roots, albeit based on complex arrangements and a broader palette of sound.

[asin]B00GJT2I42[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on March 26, 2015, 11:20:34 AM
The band was founded in 1992 in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany by Thorsten Benning, Morten Gass, Robin Rodenberg and Reiner Henseleit. Originally, group members started out playing in various hardcore bands such as 7 Inch Boots and Chronical Diarrhoea. In 1992 they produced a crossover of jazz and ambient, which they self described as an "unholy ambient mixture of slow jazz ballads, Black Sabbath doom and down tuned Autopsy sounds". Henseleit left the band in 1996 and was replaced by composer and saxophone player Christoph Clöser joined in 1997, resulting in 2000's Fender Rhodes-heavy Sunset Mission. After a brief hiatus, the same lineup returned for 2002's Black Earth, 2005's Geisterfaust, and 2008's Dolores. They released Mitleid Lady on Southern Records in 2010, and followed it with Beileid on Mike Patton's Ipecac imprint in the summer of 2011.

Piano Nights is self-described as a return to the band s roots, albeit based on complex arrangements and a broader palette of sound.

[asin]B00GJT2I42[/asin]
No reflection on the quality of the music,  but the band's name, both before and after the ampersand,  is hilariously referencing a certain American Vice President who unsuccessfully ran for President a decade and a half ago...

Henk

Probably need this one.

Henk

right enough money on my Emusic account so I'm downloading while I write this.

Henk

Henk

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just heard these two back to back on KCSM (of which I am now a member! (and you should be too)) and will likely buy these soon. Has anyone heard these? I have found that nearly anything on the ECM label is bound to be good.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 21, 2015, 11:10:32 PM
Just heard these two back to back on KCSM (of which I am now a member! (and you should be too)) and will likely buy these soon. Has anyone heard these? I have found that nearly anything on the ECM label is bound to be good.

I will check them out since I too am a fan of the "ECM sound".  But, they must have hired a new graphic design person since those covers are much busier than anything ECM used to do.

;)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Only the first one (photo of trees) is ECM, and it seems very much in line with their previous minimalist covers.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 22, 2015, 10:43:20 AM
Only the first one (photo of trees) is ECM, and it seems very much in line with their previous minimalist covers.

Oh, from reading your original post I got the impression both were ECM recordings. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on April 12, 2015, 10:52:48 AM

Probably need this one.

Have you ever heard resizing an image? ::)

Henk

kishnevi

Quote from: James on May 23, 2015, 05:18:57 AM
THELONIOUS MONK
15-DISC BOX RE-RELEASED

[asin]B00UW4GAWG[/asin]
The most essential Thelonious Monk singles are back on the shelves, this week. "The Complete Riverside Recordings" – a 15-disc box set – has been re-released this week. It features recordings from 1955 to 1961 - a time period which produced some of Monk's most iconic material. The material spans from solo, trio to big band, and incorporates more than 150 studio and live performances. Monk's diversity is captured through sessions with Duke Ellington, Gerry Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins, and John Coltrane. A 28-page full-size (12"x12") booklet is also included in the bundle.

Interesting.  The same recordings as found here but one CD less!

Henk

Robin Goodie (feat. Ambrose Akinmusire, Eric Harland, Tim Lefebvre, Larry Grenadier & Taylor Eigsti)
ZHENYA STRIGALEV'S SMILING ORGANISM

Just downloaded this one.

Henk

Looking out for these two: