Hahn, Lisitsa - IVES - sonatas for violin & piano

Started by Scion7, September 15, 2012, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Just got this very cheap used.  Probably purchased by a Haydn lover that couldn't deal with Ives' quirky music. (no offense to Franz Josef)
Great stuff, strongly recommended.  Valentina Lisitsa is a lady I have corresponded with for some time, having seen so many of her self-uploaded YouTube videos, and it's great she's on a DG release.  She's enormously talented.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

stingo

I have that recording and have enjoyed what I've heard of it. It's also on Spotify, and more likely than not the other streaming music services as well.

TheGSMoeller

Phenomenal recording. These sonatas, along with Ives' SQs, are top notch chamber pieces.

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on September 18, 2012, 03:25:25 AM
Now you just behave yourself, young man.

Comparing on YT this morning:

Hahn/Lisista (DG)

Zukovsky/Kalish (Folkways)

Naxos

Fulkerson/Shannon (TROY-Albany)

Just from the opening of No.1, Lisista takes it much quicker than all the rest. I also find Hahn a bit metallic perhaps, and the acoustic is just a tad airtight. There's too much of a profile here compared to the other three, imo.

The other three seem to all take the same, slightly "darker" or "more serious" approach, and also more understated (opening of No.2). Overall, I do like the rustic quality of the Zukovsky (though, two CDs at @$30 is laughable), and the recording is very nice and homey. The Naxos and the Fulkerson share a lot in common, with the Fulky being just a little more etched in the recording dept., I think...

But, I just cannot recommend the ladies here. Compared to the other three, they just come of as Hollywood to me- it even looks as though the cover designers have subliminally etched out Hahn's baby making bits for hightened sex appeal, uh boy!!

I welcome input (and I don't mean for Hahn, lol!!)...