What does this remind you of?

Started by ErinD, September 20, 2012, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErinD

Hey. I suck at naming my pieces. I guess I could call this "Cello Etude in G major" or something, but that'd be so boring! So let's play a game. Take a listen to my piece, then write down what ever words come to mind (if any). Even if you think it sucks, that's okay! You can listen to it here: http://soundcloud.com/user658488974/chromatic-cello-tk4

DavidW

Let's try this again.  Who are you, and do you want to be part of our community?  You know talk about music, besides your own?

mahler10th

Quote from: ErinD on September 20, 2012, 11:54:23 AM
Hey. I suck at naming my pieces. I guess I could call this "Cello Etude in G major" or something, but that'd be so boring! So let's play a game. Take a listen to my piece, then write down what ever words come to mind (if any). Even if you think it sucks, that's okay! You can listen to it here: http://soundcloud.com/user658488974/chromatic-cello-tk4

Pass.   >:(

snyprrr

Quote from: ErinD on September 20, 2012, 11:54:23 AM

Tena

Don

Mem

It's obsessive, hence the one syllable, blunt and ancient sounding Titles. Frankly, I kind of like it,(there's similar work in my guitar piece I've been ranting about)... though, it sounds an awful lot like the faux-Bach passages of Xenakis's chamber cello concerto Epicycles. Basically, you highlighted one aspect of a Xenakian soundscape for cello. Sometime around the 1:20-1:40 mark I would switch up to double speed, or incorporate different time values at an increasing chaotic rate. Listen to Xenakis's pieces for solo cello, especially Kottos.

I take it every single note is non-repeating, or something? Endless non-repeating variation?

If I had found this sheet music, I would have cut of the music where I said (or, let it go on for, say, 17-23 minutes for incanting effect), and then spliced Something Completely Different for a shocking wake up call. All 20th Century Experimentalism has taught us that we CAN 'do' anything, but, please, if your piece is, say, 'one note' that lasts an hour, well, there are others who do the same thing in 3 minutes, and they get their pieces played more often... I... assume. ;) ::) :-[

Please listen to the Xenakis on YouTube and tell me if you'd be interested in amending your piece any. Hey, my only agenda is The Best Piece Possible. Every piece should have Competition Level Potential, with the right tutoring perhaps?

A general Titling Discipline for you might be nonsense syllables, a la Ligeti or Xenakis. It 'worked' for them,... I suppose.

I retire.