Berg: String Quartet, Lyric Suite and Wolf's Italian Serenade by NZ quartet

Started by MISHUGINA, July 11, 2007, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISHUGINA

I am curious as why this is probably the only recording of Alban Berg's String Quartet. It sounds like a Bartok string quartet except Berg has yet to discover twelve-tone system and there's already this distinctively Berg-ian character that would be present in Wozzeck and Lyric suite. Anybody heard this album yet?

karlhenning

not edward

Actually, there's lots of recordings of it: they just tend to get drowned out by ABQ performances when you search online.

It is a much-underrated piece, though, which deserves more attention than it gets.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

val

Alban Berg's string Quartet opus 3 has received some remarkable interpretations, including the LaSalle and the Alban Berg Quartet (my favorite).
It is a masterpiece in two movements (although some people see in the slow coda of the first movement, a sort of central movement), between the first, in a sonata form and the last, a Rondo.
It is a very beautiful and original work that should be as famous as the Lyrical Suite.

tab

I completely agree with you, val. My favorite recording is by Schoenberg Quartet.