My Collection

Started by admiralackbar, October 02, 2012, 09:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admiralackbar

Quote from: Mandryka on October 06, 2012, 10:33:40 PM
This isn't proving very satisfactory for you is it? You're in danger of just getting a list of all recordings.

I don't mind that "danger" at all! :) As long as people understand that I simply can't add every recommended recording to my collection and that I have some initial "leanings," but still want to hear from others about them and the recordings they recommend. Does that make sense?

So, for example, I'm sorry if it appears that I ignored your Tatrai recommendation. Just wasn't even on my initial radar, so I'll look into it, but I'm more likely to add the Takacs set to my purchase list (when it's back in print) since I was already leaning that direction.

But I add all the other recommendations into my "look into" list and my "when I somehow win the lottery even though I don't play" list, so keep 'em coming! :)

Next up, when I get around to it, is probably Ives.

Mandryka

You need a way to hear these things before you buy them.

Try spotify, which will certainly get you Takacs and Belcea and maybe Juilliard too (I'm not sure if it's the right Juilliard)

That should just sort you out for all these things really. That way you can make your own mind up which is a lot more fun I should think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

admiralackbar

Ok, on to Ives. And, because it's an area I'm particularly interested in, I'll include some other less-known American composers/compositions as well.

With Ives, my biggest struggle is that these two are out-of-print.

[asin]B0001WGDXU[/asin] [asin]B000056TKF[/asin]

In the music library in college, I listened to Barber's Adagio for Strings, Ives' The Unanswered Question, Copland's Connotations, Harris' 3rd Symphony and more from the Bernstein set and loved every ounce of it. I got to know Ives' Three Places in New England and Piston's 2nd Symphony from the Tilson Thomas recording, too. I'd love to have all of these recordings in my collection, but they're simply not available. :(

Suggestions? Wait it out until DG re-releases these Bernstein recordings and the MTT recording again? Thoughts?

North Star

The Concord Sonata
[asin]B00007KI18[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Daverz

Quote from: admiralackbar on October 12, 2012, 08:24:18 AM
Ok, on to Ives. And, because it's an area I'm particularly interested in, I'll include some other less-known American composers/compositions as well.

I'd go with Bernstein's earlier recordings.  This seems like a good collection:

or these discs in the Bernstein Century series:

However, you'll need the MTT disc for the wonderful Piston symphony.

admiralackbar

Thanks for the recommendations so far! I appreciate it.

I should mention that I do have these in my collection...

[asin]B000009CYH[/asin] [asin]B0002JEJQK[/asin]

And, I also have this disc, too...

[asin]B000KLRUK2[/asin]

xochitl

if you liked the piston, this one's really outstanding <3

Rhymenoceros

So much to list, where to begin!?

Goldberg Variations- Gould, Perahia
Cello Suites- Yo Yo Ma, Rostropovich
English Suites- Perahia
French Suites- Gould
Partitas- Schiff
Keyboard Concertos- Gould
WTC I- Fellner, Tureck
WTC II- Aldwell, Tureck
Art of the Fugue- Emerson String Quartet, Aimard
Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin- Szeryng
Violin Concerto- Hahn

alkan

I add my recommendation to the others for Jordi Savall and the Concert of Nations for the Brandenburgs.    Beautiful and sprightly playing, magnificent sound and an absolutely stunning harpsichord solo in the 5th.   

I like Gould for the inventions .... not conventional, but always provocative and interesting
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

admiralackbar

Thanks, Rhymenoceros and alkan, for the recommendations! Much appreciated!

The Perahia English Suites are already on the wish list (they seem to be OOP currently).

And I'll take a closer look at the Savall Brandenburgs. Sounds like a good recording!

Opus106

Quote from: admiralackbar on October 20, 2012, 07:50:37 AM
The Perahia English Suites are already on the wish list (they seem to be OOP currently).

The earlier releases are available at Amazon.

1,3 and 6

2, 4 and 5

(My apologies if you said that just to fight off CDCDCD tendencies. ;D)
Regards,
Navneeth

Mandryka

Just a note about the Bartok again, something kind of important which I forgot  before.

There are two recordings of it by the Bartok, one on DECCA and an earlier one on Hungaroton. They're a different quartet for DECCA -- they don't include Gabor Takacs-Nagy. The first recording, the Hungaraton recording, is the Takacs Quartet recording to get if you'e interested in 3 through 6. This one:

admiralackbar

Opus106: Thanks for the info. I forgot about the earlier releases. I was looking at the new set.

Mandryka: Interesting. I remember hearing the opposite – that the Decca set was the one to get between the two.

Mandryka

Give me a few days and I'll try to listen again to both the Takacs recordings, and I'll see if I still feel how I felt.

This thread has got me bvery interested again in the Bartok quartets. Thanks -- it's nice to go back to old friends. 

admiralackbar

Quote from: Mandryka on October 21, 2012, 01:09:13 PM
This thread has got me bvery interested again in the Bartok quartets. Thanks -- it's nice to go back to old friends.

Glad to hear it! Great music.

admiralackbar

STRAVINSKY

Here's what I have:
The Rite of Spring; The Firebird; Petrushka; Pulcinella; Jeu de cartes (LSO/Abbado, DG Double 2CD)
Concerto in D (BPO/Karajan, DG Originals - w/ Honegger: Symphonies Nos. 2, 3)

And, sadly, that's it! :(

Now, I know that the one-stop way of acquiring more would be to add the Sony 22 CD complete works box set. For the sake of getting recommendations other than that, let's assume that that option is off the table for now. (It's not, of course, but I'd really like to hear about other Stravinsky discs and not just the one box set!)

I'm already thinking of adding Craft's recording of the Three Greek Ballets (especially since I'm a fan of Agon). I'm also looking for a recording of Les Noces. Otherwise, I'm game for pretty much anything. I love (most of) Stravinsky's output, so I'd like to add quite a bit more to my collection.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Drasko

Quote from: admiralackbar on November 23, 2012, 10:22:47 PM
I'm also looking for a recording of Les Noces. Otherwise, I'm game for pretty much anything. I love (most of) Stravinsky's output, so I'd like to add quite a bit more to my collection.

Klaze

Quote from: admiralackbar on November 23, 2012, 10:22:47 PM

I'm already thinking of adding Craft's recording of the Three Greek Ballets (especially since I'm a fan of Agon).

Excellent choice I think,

QuoteI'm also looking for a recording of Les Noces. Otherwise, I'm game for pretty much anything. I love (most of) Stravinsky's output, so I'd like to add quite a bit more to my collection.

[asin]B00066FAAI[/asin]
You already got a recommendation for Les Noces, Cantata and Mass in the previous post. Those two works besides Les Noces are also very worthwile, especially the Cantata. I don't know the recording from the previous post, but really like this one, by Ancerl. This recording of Les Noces puts the most emphasis on the singing, in comparison to the pianos and percussion.