Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Interrupting this Chopin recordings thread with a recital alert from a friend: Emanuel Ax in an all-Chopin program, livestreamed yesterday from the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society. Apparently it will be available for 72 hours at the YouTube link below. Also, there's a 15-minute Q&A with Ax, after the recital.

Concert is free, though they gently suggest a pay-what-you-wish contribution. (Given COVID and the state of things, I usually chip in $10-20, depending on the event, which under the circumstances, seems like a bargain.) Anyway, the program:

Two Nocturnes, Op. 55
Polonaise Fantaisie in A-flat Major, Op. 61
Three Mazurkas, Op. 56
Barcarolle in F-sharp Major, Op. 60
Nocturne in E Major, Op. 62, No. 2
Scherzo in E Major, Op. 54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubnWQOXH4cg

--Bruce

Holden

Quote from: Artem on April 23, 2021, 10:53:42 AM
This is supposed to be first time on CD. Released in February. Is it good?

Yes, it's good. I had this on LP and have never seen it on CD. From what you are saying this is now available in digital format? If so, where from?
Cheers

Holden

Holden

OK, answered my own question. Even though I can hear this recording of the Preludes on Qobuz I still decided to get a physical copy which I've just purchased from Presto UK. I get the Etudes as well which I've never heard. In fact I wasn't aware that Orozco even recorded them. A pity there is no digital download.

Listening on Qobuz these are as good as I remember them. Lyrical, warm and full of nuance and inflection without any showy rubato. Worth getting IMO but YMMV.
Cheers

Holden

Artem

Thank you for useful comments, guys. I may be ordering it too. I'm curious about releases that appear on cd for the first time.

George

Quote from: Artem on April 24, 2021, 04:38:28 AM
Thank you for useful comments, guys. I may be ordering it too. I'm curious about releases that appear on cd for the first time.

My pleasure.

If you have Spotify, you can listen to the whole 2CD set, though they have it separated into two albums.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

The CD arrived today and it's great to have a physical copy after all those years since I had it on LP. I've had time to savour this recording and reading the liner notes was revelatory.

Is this one of the greatest recordings of Op 28 of all time - it has to be close. I have other recordings of the Preludes by the following which I consider to be top drawer. They include:

Bolet: Carnegie Hall Recital (on GPOTTC)
Arrau: Live 1976 in Prague (on APR)
Fiorentino - a truly revelatory approach

While I have others as well including: Ashkenazy, Pollini, Rubinstein, Argerich there is just something about Orozco's musicianship and pianism that sets this apart. This is once again my go to set for Chopin's Op 28.

I'll have a really good listen to the Etudes, they were very popular in their day according to the liner notes with strong comparisons to Cortot. A good listen will determine how I rate them. It will be up against Cortot, Cziffra, Gavrilov, Ashkenazy (Moscow), Anievas, and a few others.
Cheers

Holden

staxomega

Quote from: Holden on May 12, 2021, 12:22:51 AM
The CD arrived today and it's great to have a physical copy after all those years since I had it on LP. I've had time to savour this recording and reading the liner notes was revelatory.

Is this one of the greatest recordings of Op 28 of all time - it has to be close. I have other recordings of the Preludes by the following which I consider to be top drawer. They include:

While I have others as well including: Ashkenazy, Pollini, Rubinstein, Argerich there is just something about Orozco's musicianship and pianism that sets this apart. This is once again my go to set for Chopin's Op 28.

I'll have a really good listen to the Etudes, they were very popular in their day according to the liner notes with strong comparisons to Cortot. A good listen will determine how I rate them. It will be up against Cortot, Cziffra, Gavrilov, Ashkenazy (Moscow), Anievas, and a few others.

I ordered the Orozco double after sampling a download. Next up is hearing him play Brahms Piano Sonata 3.

Which Fiorentino recording are you referring to?

As to the Etudes I am hoping Beatrice Rana records them at some point, very good live performances Op. 25 here. I am sure it's not for everyone with that almost Maria Tipo-esque style of rubato  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKij_ygECig

JCBuckley

Quote from: hvbias on May 12, 2021, 04:29:11 AM

As to the Etudes I am hoping Beatrice Rana records them at some point, very good live performances Op. 25 here. I am sure it's not for everyone with that almost Maria Tipo-esque style of rubato  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKij_ygECig

I've heard a rumour that a Rana recording of the Etudes and Scherzi is scheduled for September

staxomega

Quote from: JCBuckley on May 12, 2021, 05:37:22 AM
I've heard a rumour that a Rana recording of the Etudes and Scherzi is scheduled for September

Very good news, she has technique in spades for the Scherzi.

Holden

Quote from: hvbias on May 12, 2021, 04:29:11 AM

Which Fiorentino recording are you referring to?

It's on this box set.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/413Y2CQRoeL._SX425_.jpg

I think he only recorded the set once in 1959.

It can be sampled here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASX7qQCKOc0&t=1767s
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on May 12, 2021, 12:22:51 AM

The preludes are very nuanced and the recording sound quality seems really excellent - I had a transfer from LP but never really felt much empathy with what he does, but on the transfer on Qobuz, tonight,  it seems exceptional.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Quote from: Holden on May 12, 2021, 12:45:31 PM
It's on this box set.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/413Y2CQRoeL._SX425_.jpg

I think he only recorded the set once in 1959.

It can be sampled here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASX7qQCKOc0&t=1767s

Thanks, disappointing that it's on Piano Classics, they often make historical piano reissues sound glassy. I take it this never came out on APR?

Holden

Quote from: hvbias on May 12, 2021, 02:12:14 PM
Thanks, disappointing that it's on Piano Classics, they often make historical piano reissues sound glassy. I take it this never came out on APR?

No, I first came across it as a CDR file sent to me by one of the posters to this forum. He may have got it from this an old Saga CD or similar.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on May 12, 2021, 05:35:45 PM
No, I first came across it as a CDR file sent to me by one of the posters to this forum. He may have got it from this an old Saga CD or similar.

Hi Holden,

I think you are mixing Prelude sets, as the box set you link to above is Rachmaninov, not Chopin. I don't think the Chopin was ever released on CD. I know a number of years back you could download it from a website that was posted on this forum, though I forget which thread.

Holden

Quote from: George on May 12, 2021, 05:52:40 PM
Hi Holden,

I think you are mixing Prelude sets, as the box set you link to above is Rachmaninov, not Chopin. I don't think the Chopin was ever released on CD. I know a number of years back you could download it from a website that was posted on this forum, though I forget which thread.

You are right George but somewhere at the back of my mind there is this inkling that I've seen it on CD somewhere however, I can't find it through Google apart from an LP version.
Cheers

Holden

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on January 12, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Bashkirov, maybe Pogorelich too. But the Bashkirov is special.
I never replied to this but I did obtain the Bashkirov and have gotten much pleasure from it. At the same time, it's not exactly the way I'd want to hear the piece.

The same is true of another recording I just found from a pianist who seems quite obscure on this forum: Mikhail Voskresensky. His Op. 44 is hard-hitting and intense with a good sense of the long line and a somewhat wilful interpretation of Chopin's actual score. Definitely interested to know what people may think of his other recordings. (This one contains a nocturne, a prelude, some waltzes, the Op. 24 Mazurkas, Op. 44 and 40/2 of the polonaises, the Fantasy & the fourth Ballade, + Schumann Symphonic Etudes, Sonata No. 1, Romances)

Mandryka

I've got a recording of Voskresensky playing Chopin sonatas, and another dedicated to nocturnes.  He's a "let the music speak for itself" kind of guy. Hard touch, as if he's playing with hard fingers.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on July 22, 2021, 05:29:05 AM
I've got a recording of Voskresensky playing Chopin sonatas, and another dedicated to nocturnes.  He's a "let the music speak for itself" kind of guy. Hard touch, as if he's playing with hard fingers.
I checked out his Davidsbündlertänze. The faster and louder pieces work very well, better than almost anyone else. The slower and quieter pieces don't, being too fast and loud for their material. Recommendable, but the contrast with Ugorski suggests that the correct obscure Russian pianist got the DG deal.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 15, 2013, 02:18:05 AM
Weissenberg's

I'm listening to them now and yes, they are truly special.

staxomega

Quote from: JCBuckley on May 12, 2021, 05:37:22 AM

This is out now, I'm deep in a Mahler binge so it will probably be a few days until I get to the Scherzi. I did revisit her recording of the Chopin Preludes a few weeks ago and I haven't changed my mind on it, for me the least interesting of everything I've heard from her.