Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

I really liked Beatrice Rana in all of the Scherzi, sounds like old world pianism. Jed Distler has a very good review that paints a good picture of how they sound though reading between the lines it sounds like I liked the Scherzi more than he did. He has Grosvenor as one of his reference sets and I listened to him play the B minor and I found it a bit unrelenting. Maybe this is right and I'm wrong.

Also revisited the Ruth Slenczynska recordings, the other set of Scherzi that were a bit newer to me. Fabulous.

Hans Holbein

I've been trying to find Weissenberg's 14 waltzes for download, and it's not going well - can't find them legitimately or otherwise. They were only issued on CD once, in 1990. Any ideas, or must I just track down that CD?

Also, I've been trying, out of curiosity, to figure out where the three Mazurkas he recorded in 1971 first appeared. I have them tacked on to a CD issue of the Nocturnes. Can't find them on any LP. Maybe they were recorded and not issued at the time? Or maybe I'm missing something.

Mandryka

Quote from: Hans Holbein on November 15, 2021, 12:03:08 AM
I've been trying to find Weissenberg's 14 waltzes for download, and it's not going well - can't find them legitimately or otherwise. They were only issued on CD once, in 1990. Any ideas, or must I just track down that CD?

Also, I've been trying, out of curiosity, to figure out where the three Mazurkas he recorded in 1971 first appeared. I have them tacked on to a CD issue of the Nocturnes. Can't find them on any LP. Maybe they were recorded and not issued at the time? Or maybe I'm missing something.

The Waltzes cd is very hard to find, I've just asked if anyone can share it, I'll let you know if anything comes up, I didn't even know of its existence till you mentioned it! I have five of the waltzes, I think they're rather interesting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Hans Holbein on November 15, 2021, 12:03:08 AM

Hello Hans,

Not certain where you are located, or if you have a turn table or not but I did find this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/384179394058?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=384179394058&targetid=4580496732614415&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233788&mkgroupid=1230353745471221&rlsatarget=pla-4580496732614415&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=481b1f52e55610f5e2757ec0b955b3d4

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Hans Holbein

Thank you. Yes, ordering a used copy of the CD or LP is an option. I have no real interest in owning the CD - would rather just have the files. Owning the LP has more appeal, but then I would still want the digital version too... The only copies of the CD I found for sale would set me back CAD$50, and I don't think my interest justifies that expense right now.

What got me started on this was ripping some of his Chopin to get rid of CDs, and that got me checking whether I was missing anything.

I do wish EMI had given him the complete box treatment instead of that Icon box with the silly subtitle "The Champagne Pianist". Maybe Warner will get a complete box together someday.

MusicTurner

I checked a few extra places, various European Amazons, Fnac, Supraphon-on-line etc., but no results ...

Brian

Quote from: Hans Holbein on November 15, 2021, 09:20:00 AM
I do wish EMI had given him the complete box treatment instead of that Icon box with the silly subtitle "The Champagne Pianist". Maybe Warner will get a complete box together someday.
The whole EMI Icon series was designed on the cheap and it's very nice that Warner is reissuing things with more style, original covers, etc.

staxomega

Silly indeed, is "the champagne pianist" supposed to be a compliment? So who is the builder's tea pianist  :laugh:

Mandryka

Thank you. Yes, ordering a used copy of the CD or LP is an option. I have no real interest in owning the CD - would rather just have the files. Owning the LP has more appeal, but then I would still want the digital version too... The only copies of the CD I found for sale would set me back CAD$50, and I don't think my interest justifies that expense right now.

What got me started on this was ripping some of his Chopin to get rid of CDs, and that got me checking whether I was missing anything.

Weissenberg 14 Chopin waltzes. Hard, agressive, charmless, fast in the earlier waltzes. And then, in the some of the slow later waltzes, I can start to see why this man had a good reputation. In the A flat major for example, the vision is coherent and the playing is intense. But the lack of attention to the inner voices is a deal breaker for me. Listen to the lifeless F minor!

JBS

On a different topic:
Does anyone have experience/opinions about this pianist's Chopin?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

amw

It's very hard for me to take seriously a designation like "Champagne Pianist" for Weissenberg. A description like that would make me think: charming, pleasant, elegant, graceful, etc., whereas Weissenberg's actual style can be described as a boxing match between him and the piano, winner unclear.
https://www.youtube.com/v/t5PDGV6gOQI

Compare the relative subtlety (and much greater emotional effect) of Argerich for example:
https://www.youtube.com/v/TMC3yToYuFA

I obviously haven't explored all of Weissenberg's repertoire and there may of course be composers/works for whom the label is more appropriate (his Bach was at one time quite well regarded, I believe).

Brian

Is Robert Casadesus the real champagne pianist?

George

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2021, 07:06:48 AM

I vote for Michelangeli.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jo498

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2021, 07:06:48 AM

Now, that's easy. It's literally Eric Heidsieck:

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

There are probably other self-consciously French (in terms of style, not national origin) pianists who could fit the moniker more aptly—Marcelle Meyer, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, Pavel Kolesnikov, etc—but yes Heidsieck is definitely the natural choice.

Brian

I feel so dumb forgetting Heidsieck there. :( Do I have to hand in my Club Piano card?

Jo498

No, but your Club de Champagne card :)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: Jo498 on November 19, 2021, 05:35:54 AM
No, but your Club de Champagne card :)

Don't listen to him, Brian.  $:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

The Club de Crémant has cheaper dues anyway  ;)