Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Second run. Imo this is one of the best recent Chopin releases and makes a nice complement to Kolesnikov's all-mazurka disc, being slower, more introspective and ruminative. Both are highly recommended.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

He has clearly lost some technique but IMO that's more than compensated by a gain in expressiveness in the shorter pieces: I'm really surprised to find myself so moved by these performances (though not the sonata, I'm not in the mood maybe.)

I saw him play in London at about the time of the recording, some Debussy and Chopin, and I thought it was magical. The review journalists didn't all  agree and neither did my companions at the concert, I guess I have the late Pollini gene.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on December 04, 2021, 01:21:35 AM

He has clearly lost some technique but IMO that's more than compensated by a gain in expressiveness in the shorter pieces: I'm really surprised to find myself so moved by these performances (though not the sonata, I'm not in the mood maybe.)

I saw him play in London at about the time of the recording, some Debussy and Chopin, and I thought it was magical. The review journalists didn't all  agree and neither did my companions at the concert, I guess I have the late Pollini gene.
Glad that you enjoyed the concert and the disc!

I've been meaning to revisit some Ivan Moravec CDs and LPs that I have as he's a favorite of mine in Chopin--had hoped to actually last night; however, I ended up going to bed early instead.  Busy day ahead today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2021, 01:45:03 AM
Glad that you enjoyed the concert and the disc!

I've been meaning to revisit some Ivan Moravec CDs and LPs that I have as he's a favorite of mine in Chopin--had hoped to actually last night; however, I ended up going to bed early instead.  Busy day ahead today.

PD

Yes I know many people like Moravec's nocturnes as you do. I will give it a run again soon.

George

I adore the Nocturnes, so I never need much encouragement to listen to them again. Now enjoying this 2CD set. His tone is gorgeous, as always. The mysteriousness conveyed by the overall sound creates a dark mood that perfectly suits evening music.

On a few occasions, I have compared the sound from it with the sound of the remaster on Supraphon. The sound isn't very different, though I prefer the less futzed sound of this original mastering, which was done by the original producer, E. Alan Silver.

Still, I find that I prefer others in this repertoire. Arrau remains my favorite overall. Wasowski is my favorite digital set. And for something different, Weissenberg is excellent.   

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

vers la flamme

Quote from: George on December 05, 2021, 05:37:16 PM

I adore the Nocturnes, so I never need much encouragement to listen to them again. Now enjoying this 2CD set. His tone is gorgeous, as always. The mysteriousness conveyed by the overall sound creates a dark mood that perfectly suits evening music.

On a few occasions, I have compared the sound from it with the sound of the remaster on Supraphon. The sound isn't very different, though I prefer the less futzed sound of this original mastering, which was done by the original producer, E. Alan Silver.

Still, I find that I prefer others in this repertoire. Arrau remains my favorite overall. Wasowski is my favorite digital set. And for something different, Weissenberg is excellent.   

Arrau is my favorite too, but I do love Moravec's Nocturnes. I need to get it on CD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on December 05, 2021, 05:37:16 PM

I have the Nonesuch Nocturnes.  I haven't heard the Supraphon ones.  Do you have the Connoisseur Society LPs?

Haven't heard the Arrau nor the Wasowski recordings.  Must admit that Wasowski is a new name to me too.  Did Arrau record them more than once?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Competition performances from Angela Hewitt. The first movement of the sonata shows she has a bold imagination and can play in an ardent way. The sonata is a valuable recording for me,  not perfect and not even, superficial in the slow movement, she's not Michelangeli, but still, valuable. Mediocre sound.  I'm not sure about the smaller items on the disc.

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2021, 05:36:19 AM
I have the Nonesuch Nocturnes.  I haven't heard the Supraphon ones.  Do you have the Connoisseur Society LPs?

The Supraphon are the same performances as the Nonesuch, just different mastering. I haven't heard the LPs. I am CD/SACD only.

QuoteHaven't heard the Arrau nor the Wasowski recordings.  Must admit that Wasowski is a new name to me too.  Did Arrau record them more than once?

PD

Arrau only recorded them once. I prefer the original CD mastering to the later remaster.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on December 06, 2021, 11:43:22 AM
The Supraphon are the same performances as the Nonesuch, just different mastering. I haven't heard the LPs. I am CD/SACD only.

Arrau only recorded them once. I prefer the original CD mastering to the later remaster.
Thank you George!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2021, 11:46:13 AM
Thank you George!  :)

PD

My pleasure. The Wasowski set has the distinction of not only being a wonderful performance, but the sound is equally gorgeous.

JBS

Re-upping this query.

Quote from: JBS on November 15, 2021, 07:39:35 PM
On a different topic:
Does anyone have experience/opinions about this pianist's Chopin?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

Quote from: JBS on December 06, 2021, 12:28:48 PM
Re-upping this query.

Hi JBS,

I sampled some of her Chopin on youtube. I find it just OK, though with nice sound. Her tempos are slower than I generally prefer and her interpretations seem rather unexciting. 

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on December 06, 2021, 12:28:48 PM
Re-upping this query.

Her etudes and mazurkas are colourful, they ripple and sway. I haven't heard more, I'll try to have a listen to the preludes and nocturnes and the third sonata sometime soon. She was made for the barcarolle! The etudes are outstanding I think.

premont

Quote from: George on December 06, 2021, 11:43:22 AM

I have heard long time ago about a live performance, but don't recall where, and btw his studio recording is my favorite just as yours.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 06, 2021, 03:19:01 PM
I have heard long time ago about a live performance, but don't recall where, and btw his studio recording is my favorite just as yours.

Wow, a live performance of the complete Chopin Nocturnes by Arrau?

premont

Quote from: George on December 06, 2021, 03:22:37 PM
Wow, a live performance of the complete Chopin Nocturnes by Arrau?

Something someone in a forum - maybe twenty years ago  - mentioned. I only recall that he/she preferred it to the Philips studio recording. There was no mention of whether it was complete or not. I never investigated this, because by then I had some musical interests, which engaged me more, but to day I regret that I didn't ask for more details.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 06, 2021, 04:04:57 PM
Something someone in a forum - maybe twenty years ago  - mentioned. I only recall that he/she preferred it to the Philips studio recording. There was no mention of whether it was complete or not. I never investigated this, because by then I had some musical interests, which engaged me more, but to day I regret that I didn't ask for more details.

Cool. I will keep my eyes peeled and will let you know if I ever find them.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

My fav. Delicate touch and elegant ambiguity.

Holden

Quote from: George on December 06, 2021, 11:53:16 AM
My pleasure. The Wasowski set has the distinction of not only being a wonderful performance, but the sound is equally gorgeous.

Can't seem to find this anywhere - tired Qobuz, Spotify and Youtube with no success.

I have recordings by Rubinstein (x3) Moravec, Ciani, Fiorentino, Cziffra, Ashkenazy, Ginsburg (Op 25 only) and have heard online complete sets by Lisiecki, Arrau, Pires, Harasiewicz, Askenase, Tipo and a few others.

There are two favourites - Rubinstein stereo and Moravec. They are similar in so many ways but different tonally. I do not like the Arrau, I find the way he plays with the tempo frustrating, it breaks up the natural lines of Chopin's music.
Cheers

Holden