Author Topic: Chopin Recordings  (Read 345941 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
Re: Chopin Recordings
« Reply #1560 on: March 23, 2022, 05:01:26 PM »

What do people think of Hough's set of Chopin Nocturnes?

The reviews are superb, but after sampling them a bit, I can't say I want to hear more. A similar thing happened with Hough's Rachmaninoff piano concertos, so maybe I just don't like him.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:04:50 PM by George »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #1561 on: March 23, 2022, 06:18:32 PM »

The reviews are superb, but after sampling them a bit, I can't say I want to hear more. A similar thing happened with Hough's Rachmaninoff piano concertos, so maybe I just don't like him.

I think it's quite good, but at the same time it's not really any better than a dozen other easily available performances. It's rather middle of the road--perhaps a recording not to get for oneself, but very suitable to get as a gift for someone just getting into Chopin.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1562 on: March 23, 2022, 06:23:14 PM »
I think it's quite good, but at the same time it's not really any better than a dozen other easily available performances. It's rather middle of the road--perhaps a recording not to get for oneself, but very suitable to get as a gift for someone just getting into Chopin.

Good point.

I really love the Chopin Nocturnes, so I'm always on the lookout for more great (unique) recordings. 

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1563 on: March 23, 2022, 08:19:45 PM »

They’re happy nocturnes. 23 reasons to be cheerful.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1564 on: May 09, 2022, 12:05:42 AM »

I feel quite inspired by this. He plays delicately, there's never anything very loud and uncouth, he creates poetic textures, intricate as lace. And maybe most impressively of all the rubato seems natural and fluid. In some ways he reminds me of Moravec, maybe it's his reticence about strong dynamic variation. I find myself enjoying it for longer than with Moravec in fact, though that's of no consequence to anyone but me I suppose. I don't know what type of piano, credit is given in the booklet to the tuner but I don't know if he's done anything special.

I just mentioned Goerner's reticence about exploring the extremes of a modern piano's dynamic range, there's another reticence too -- an emotional reticence. Or rather, an emotional complexity. I hear in this interpretation very little by way of jejune romantic effusion. There is expression aplenty, but it's complex, nuanced. These nocturnes are full of relief, full of twists and turns.

In the booklet there's an essay by someone called Christophe Ghristi which says this, which I thought was food for thought, and it just may be the there's some mutual inspiration between copy writer and musician here (not that I know much about Liszt, still less about Field, so take that with a pinch of salt! But it is lyrical, and it does make me want to hear Goerner play Mozart!)

Back to this, first time in three years. It’s really good! Same feeling as I had in 2019.

Offline hvbias

• Veteran member
« Reply #1565 on: May 11, 2022, 04:19:39 PM »
Back to this, first time in three years. It’s really good! Same feeling as I had in 2019.

Yes, I like this quite a bit as well though it wouldn't quite make my top 5. Many of the qualities you've written about I hear in Pascal Amoyel which is one of my favorites, let me know if you want to hear it. In op. 37/1 he plays the middle section much more tenderly and beautifully than Moravec on Nonesuch, who sounds like he wants to get through it.

My post on Goerner from another thread:

I listened to Goerner- his playing isn't crystal clear in that he uses a decent amount of pedal to create more of a painted dreamscape. This leads to an overall rich sonority with not the most distinct tonal colors. Any rubato he uses feels unforced and quite natural. He also plays with great dynamic range, but it's restrained and only brought out when called for. Natural is the word I keep coming back to thinking of this as a whole. A highly interesting set, and an easy purchase quickly ordered from Amazon. It has that X factor where after it's finished I'm thinking about playing it again.

Based off what I've heard on this I'm lead to believe his Debussy should be worth checking out.

(removed thoughts Kun Woo Paik, I just need to listen to this more before judging it)

I will try to remember to hear his Debussy this week plus he recently recorded Iberia.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:29:41 PM by hvbias »
"I feel very strongly about Chopin — I just love him" - Fou Ts'ong

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1566 on: September 20, 2022, 09:27:15 AM »

I think the op 58 sonata is a bit special here, quite original. Introspective melancholy is the dominant mood in the first movement -- the third, paradoxically, comes across to me as more cheerful! Ingolf Wunder seems to have all but disappeared, missed the boat or didn’t want to take the boat. Shame that!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:31:47 AM by Mandryka »

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1567 on: September 20, 2022, 10:01:52 AM »

I think the op 58 sonata is a bit special here, quite original. Introspective melancholy is the dominant mood in the first movement -- the third, paradoxically, comes across to me as more cheerful! Ingolf Wunder seems to have all but disappeared, missed the boat or didn’t want to take the boat.

One can only wunder.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1568 on: September 21, 2022, 04:41:55 AM »
An unfeasibly long - but I think beautiful - fluid and delicate - Barcarolle from Evgeni Bozhanov in Lisbon in 2015

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XXnJiXPlrc

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #1569 on: September 21, 2022, 07:05:05 AM »
An unfeasibly long - but I think beautiful - fluid and delicate - Barcarolle from Evgeni Bozhanov in Lisbon in 2015

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XXnJiXPlrc

Notably slower than his Warsaw performance, and not quite as successful, but still lovely to listen to nonetheless.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson