Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: orbital on September 04, 2007, 10:40:45 AM
Rubinstein's Chopin EMI set is now on deep discount at Amazon at $29.00

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Rubinstein-plays-Chopin-Box/dp/B000002S59/ref=sr_1_13/102-0015196-3925745?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188930993&sr=1-13
Why would you bother with that when you could get this? I'm in the market for great Chopin performances which are as cheap as possible, so comments appreciated.  :)

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 07:54:23 AM
Why would you bother with that when you could get this? I'm in the market for great Chopin performances which are as cheap as possible, so comments appreciated.  :)

Some like "that" which are earlier performances, better than "this," his stereo late recordings.

Brian

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 08:01:43 AM
Some like "that" which are earlier performances, better than "this," his stereo late recordings.
Aha. Would I be particularly disadvantaged if I bought "this" instead of "that"?

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 08:03:02 AM
Aha. Would I be particularly disadvantaged if I bought "this" instead of "that"?

I can't say. I only have this, so I can't even say for myself. I suggest you sample this and that and decide which suits you.

Brian

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 08:26:28 AM
I can't say. I only have this, so I can't even say for myself. I suggest you sample this and that and decide which suits you.
Okay. Thanks  :)  I presume you enjoy this?

Also, this is getting rather silly. :D

Oh dear, your post count is 4999, go spend your 5000th post on something cooler.  8)

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 08:31:38 AM
Okay. Thanks  :)  I presume you enjoy this?

Also, this is getting rather silly. :D

Oh dear, your post count is 4999, go spend your 5000th post on something cooler.  8)

Nothing is cooler than helping a friend.  8)

BTW, I do love the later set, It's an incredible value and has very good sound. I only suggested that you hear his early set first, to be sure you get what you will like. Personally, I like other pianists more in almost every work, it has taken me a very long to appreciate Rubinstein's pianism. I would sample Ashkenazy's set as well. I like him more and the sound is better. I can upload some samples if you want for comparison. PM me.  :)

Great Gable

I have both sets that you are discussing. If you only get one, and sound quality is important, you might prefer the larger set which, on the whole, boasts iproved clarity. The five disc set has a significant level of hiss. In terms of performance, that becomes more personal and you'd have to make your own mind up about.

Brian

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 08:36:46 AM
BTW, I do love the later set, It's an incredible value and has very good sound. I only suggested that you hear his early set first, to be sure you get what you will like. Personally, I like other pianists more in almost every work, it has taken me a very long to appreciate Rubinstein's pianism. I would sample Ashkenazy's set as well. I like him more and the sound is better. I can upload some samples if you want for comparison. PM me.  :)
Well, price is the primary consideration for me, and at $30 for 11 discs Rubinstein's Chopin seems like a terrific way to "dip my toes in the water" or whichever cliche applies best to the situation. :) Throw in the fact that many people love his performances very much and I think as a "starter" set it will do well.

I have not heard Ashkenazy (except in some ok Beethoven), but do love the Chopin of Ivan Moravec, Claudio Arrau and Kemal Gekic (hat-tip to sidoze!) - a pity Moravec isn't given leeway by some adventurous label to just record as much as possible of whatever the hell he wants!

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 08:36:46 AM
Nothing is cooler than helping a friend.  8)
:)

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 12:22:12 PM
Well, price is the primary consideration for me, and at $30 for 11 discs Rubinstein's Chopin seems like a terrific way to "dip my toes in the water" or whichever cliche applies best to the situation. :) Throw in the fact that many people love his performances very much and I think as a "starter" set it will do well.

I have not heard Ashkenazy (except in some ok Beethoven), but do love the Chopin of Ivan Moravec, Claudio Arrau and Kemal Gekic (hat-tip to sidoze!) - a pity Moravec isn't given leeway by some adventurous label to just record as much as possible of whatever the hell he wants!
:)

Hell, I'm willing to chip in!  :D

This made my day.  :)

Brian

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 12:31:40 PM
Hell, I'm willing to chip in!  :D
Ixnay on atthay, I just found a $63 paycheck from the school newspaper on my desk under a stack of all the papers I wrote last semester.  ;D *checks Amazon* So now there is a decision to be made  8)

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 12:31:40 PMThis made my day.  :)

;D

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 12:39:13 PM
Ixnay on atthay, I just found a $63 paycheck from the school newspaper on my desk under a stack of all the papers I wrote last semester.  ;D *checks Amazon* So now there is a decision to be made  8)

Someone needs to rethink his avatar caption.

;D

:D

George

BTW, anyone know if the performances on the new Sokolov Chopin 2 CD set on Naive are the ones that appeared previously on the same label?

Brian

Peregrine

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 12:55:27 PM
BTW, anyone know if the performances on the new Sokolov Chopin 2 CD set on Naive are the ones that appeared previously on the same label?

Going by the description at MDT, I'ld say yes:

'These two CDs feature live performances by the legendary Russian pianist Grigory Sokolov of some of Chopin' s most enduring masterpieces, the 24 preludes, the opus 25 études, and the great 2nd sonata. Originally available as two separate full price CDs, here released as a set. They were recorded in Paris at three concerts during 1990 and 1992.'

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//OP30456.htm
Yes, we have no bananas

George

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2008, 01:03:57 PM
;)

;D

Quote from: Peregrine on February 03, 2008, 01:11:19 PM
Going by the description at MDT, I'ld say yes:

'These two CDs feature live performances by the legendary Russian pianist Grigory Sokolov of some of Chopin' s most enduring masterpieces, the 24 preludes, the opus 25 études, and the great 2nd sonata. Originally available as two separate full price CDs, here released as a set. They were recorded in Paris at three concerts during 1990 and 1992.'

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//OP30456.htm

Thanks!

Drasko

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 12:55:27 PM

Same ones, though mdt info is incorrect about some of the dates and places. Etudes are from 13th June 1985 St.Petersburg (not even 1995 as their own backcover says)

George

Quote from: Drasko on February 03, 2008, 01:43:56 PM
Same ones, though mdt info is incorrect about some of the dates and places. Etudes are from 13th June 1985 St.Petersburg (not even 1995 as their own backcover says)

Yeah, that's what made me question it in the first place 1995 seemed too recent.

Danke Drasko.

m_gigena

Nobody likes Askenase? I spent the whole day listening to the 7cd DG release "The complete Chopin recordings.

Drasko

Quote from: George on February 03, 2008, 04:28:34 PM
I said I liked him.

Just in case, Stefan Askenase ≠ Vladimir Ashkenazy.

George

Quote from: Drasko on February 03, 2008, 05:27:23 PM
Just in case, Stefan Askenase ≠ Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Woops.  ::)