Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Anyone have recommendations for the Scherzos? I'm open to any style or interpretation. My favorite has been Richter in these works, but wow Claudio Arrau too.

Holden

Quote from: Leo K. on November 17, 2022, 09:34:21 AM
Anyone have recommendations for the Scherzos? I'm open to any style or interpretation. My favorite has been Richter in these works, but wow Claudio Arrau too.

Richter for me too. I always liked Rubinstein as well
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Demidenko for me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Pogorelich
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jo498

Quote from: George on November 17, 2022, 12:18:44 PM
Pogorelich
Yes.
For a bit more straightforward Pletnev's Carnegie Hall Recital, Argerich in 2+3 (although it's a bit "blaster mode" like a lot of her Chopin), probably Freire's from the 1970s.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Leo K.

Thanks a million all - wow I had forgotten about Sofronitsky (I have a lot of his recordings in my collection will get to him asap).

staxomega

Richter is my favorite as well, it sounds like the gates of hell opened. Moravec (might tie Richter, it's quite deep and powerful), Pogorelich, and Szidon are others I like. Earl Wild probably has the best sounding recording but I never reach for it often for some reason. Looking forward to revisiting Arrau, I think I only listened to it once when that Complete Philips box came out but can't recall anything about it.

Mandryka

https://www.discogs.com/release/8214622-Sergio-Fiorentino-Early-Recordings-1953-1966-Fiorentino-Edition-Volume-4

Listening to some scherzos this afternoon I found Fiorentino's-- I'm not sure I've ever played it before. It is really excellent! All four of them there.  He's got more than enough energy and nimbleness in the lighter sections and he makes it sing like a cello in the lyrical sections. Everything sounds fresh, as though he's improvising.

I think Fioentino in the 1950s and 1960s was a Chopinist  as impressive as Michelangeli and Sofro.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on November 18, 2022, 08:03:19 AM
https://www.discogs.com/release/8214622-Sergio-Fiorentino-Early-Recordings-1953-1966-Fiorentino-Edition-Volume-4

Listening to some scherzos this afternoon I found Fiorentino's-- I'm not sure I've ever played it before. It is really excellent! All four of them there.  He's got more than enough energy and nimbleness in the lighter sections and he makes it sing like a cello in the lyrical sections. Everything sounds fresh, as though he's improvising.

I think Fioentino in the 1950s and 1960s was a Chopinist  as impressive as Michelangeli and Sofro.

Thanks to you Howard I went back to my Early Recordings box set and found his Scherzos which I now realise that I had never listened to before. (The issues with box sets I suppose). As you said, these are excellent and once again, as in a lot of his Chopin, he displays that individual approach he has to Chopin's music. I'll have to go back to Richter to make a comparison.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

What do you guys make of von Koralyi's op 58 sonata? I think it's one of the top tier ones, as they say

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4uWiETHpIs

Florestan

Very good Sonata 2 on disc two (of three) above. Mandryka, you will love the contrapuntal voicing, in case you haven't heard it already I can let you have it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

George

Mandryka

Quote from: George on November 19, 2022, 01:33:18 PM
What do folks think of this guy's Nocturnes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmZorRo2vQ

I listened to op 62/1, which is probably the nocturne I know best. He was being deep, he makes it a Brucknerian nocturne. He had some nice little ideas, the playing at around 5:20 was beautiful and memorable. Not for me , partly because the timbre he produces isn't warm and fuzzy enough for my taste this afternoon,  partly because I don't do deep ever, partly because I like a bit more relief, a bit more dynamic variation throughout rather than just loud bits now and then, and partly because he doesn't really make it sing like a cello, which is a great shame.

Sorry, I didn't mean to do a demolition job, but that's what came out!

Mandryka

https://open.spotify.com/track/6ZlSQkr3uVdTs6QiSFQfV0?si=9eb319613fca4575

Here's an op 62/1 I like, you'll probably hate it George!

(Very annoying to see these things that I've paid huge amounts of money for now almost free. Grrrrrr.)

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 20, 2022, 06:23:33 AM
I listened to op 62/1, which is probably the nocturne I know best. He was being deep, he makes it a Brucknerian nocturne. He had some nice little ideas, the playing at around 5:20 was beautiful and memorable. Not for me , partly because the timbre he produces isn't warm and fuzzy enough for my taste this afternoon,  partly because I don't do deep ever, partly because I like a bit more relief, a bit more dynamic variation throughout rather than just loud bits now and then, and partly because he doesn't really make it sing like a cello, which is a great shame.

Sorry, I didn't mean to do a demolition job, but that's what came out!

No problem. The set was recommeneded by someone who did a big survey of the Nocturnes. I am not a fan of it.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 20, 2022, 06:27:11 AM
https://open.spotify.com/track/6ZlSQkr3uVdTs6QiSFQfV0?si=9eb319613fca4575

Here's an op 62/1 I like, you'll probably hate it George!

(Very annoying to see these things that I've paid huge amounts of money for now almost free. Grrrrrr.)

To be honest, I don't like it very much at all. I have his live set of the Nocturnes, as it was highly recommended by someone I trust and it has yet to click for me.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on November 16, 2022, 07:29:06 PMIn these preludes, Cortot pulls that off, so does Rosenthal and Koczalski.

Cortot does that in almost every recording, and certainly when he was at his peak (eg, the 20s-30s).  Artists who recorded in the 78s era typically sound more spontaneous and less studio bound by the very nature of how they recorded.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on November 20, 2022, 07:30:08 AM
Cortot does that in almost every recording, and certainly when he was at his peak (eg, the 20s-30s).  Artists who recorded in the 78s era typically sound more spontaneous and less studio bound by the very nature of how they recorded.

I think this is a really valid point.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on November 20, 2022, 07:04:42 AM
To be honest, I don't like it very much at all. I have his live set of the Nocturnes, as it was highly recommended by someone I trust and it has yet to click for me.

The sound on those DG nocturnes which Ciani released is so disappointing that I too have found it hard to appreciate them.